PDA

View Full Version : Monk, Way of the Quickstep

Bannan_mantis
2018-10-07, 10:31 PM
I was reviewing over the monk subclasses and noticed that there wasn't one to give a boost to one thing that is very popular about the monk and that is their effectiveness at being a dodge tank. This subclass is meant to be a subclass that increases the monk's speed and decrease the chances of being hit by a attack all while also lowering the need for wisdom. Please give your critiques

Monk, Way of the Quickstep

Unparalleled Speed
Starting at level 3, you can calculate your unarmored AC as 10 + double your dexterity modifier, you can use dexterity instead of wisdom for ki saving throws and you can add your proficiency bonus to initiative

Unpredictable Movement
Stating at level 6, you can use your reaction to add half your proficiency bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn

Precognition
Starting at level 11, you have advantage on initiative checks and you can use step of the wind for no cost

Untouchable
Starting at level 17, you can spend 3 ki points to have all attack checks made against you be made at disadvantage for 1 minute

JNAProductions
2018-10-07, 11:03 PM
It's OP. You make the class entirely SAD, give it a good AC boost, and then give disadvantage on all attacks for such a minor cost that it might as well be moot.

Bannan_mantis
2018-10-07, 11:42 PM
I thought this was possibly the case, this is meant to be a mainly AC boosted class so would these changes be a good idea?

Level 3
No initiative bonus

Level 6
You could activating it through a bonus action and maybe it can be something that requires ki? Although you already have patient defence so maybe this could just be something to increase the effectiveness of patient defence

Level 11
No advantage on initiative

Level 17
Maybe increasing the cost would fix this? Would a ki cost of 5 or 6 help?

Also, I know this is SAD but it's the way that I am designing it, a monk that is extremely hard to hit is something I would enjoy a lot even if it doesn't have as much options as the other monk subclasses but that could still get a bit boring so changing somethings out to give it extra abilities could work but i wanna keep to the idea of the subclass. Would somethind like being able to teleport like misty step be a good start?