PDA

View Full Version : Deep Imaskari/Sonorous Hum

Phearcia
2018-10-09, 12:25 AM
How broken would Deep Imaskari become if it had a racial feature that allowed it to mimic Sonorous Hum at will.

Deep Imaskari Traits

Deep Imaskari have a heavy focus on magic, giving them relevant capabilities

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence increases by 2 and your Wisdom Increases by 1.

Age. Imaskari have a natural lifespan similar to humans but slightly longer, reaching adulthood during their late teens and living for up to 500 years.

Alignment. The original Imaskari were considered to be very evil, and definitely were. However, the modern Deep Imaskari tend to be mostly Neutral, spending their time studying magic and trying to survive in the Underdark.

Size. Taller and slender humans, Deep Imaskari generally stand at almost 6 feet tall, but with a lighter weight.

Speed. Your base speed, like most Medium Humanoids, is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Arcanic Infusion. You can maintain concentration on two separate spells instead of one.

Spell Clutch. Whenever you cast a spell, roll two D20's and take the lowest number, if it is above 15 you do not expend the memorized spell.

Languages. You can speak Common, Undercommon, and Roushoum, the Deep Imaskari Language.

The Arcanic Infusion is more or less Sonorous Hum but as a racial feature. I'm trying to make this race a little more interesting.

noob
2018-10-09, 06:48 AM
it is for which version of dnd?
dnd 5e?
getting 1/16 extra spell per spell cast and being able to concentrate on two spells at once seems a little too good for 5e especially since you can now stack in sonorous hum.

nickl_2000
2018-10-09, 07:21 AM
Think of it this way. Would you want a Sorcerer to be able to twin both haste and greater invisibility, because this would allow it.

Personally, I think that and the Spell Clutch are just to much. enough so that I wouldn't even consider allowing this at my table. I would find other mechanics that seem fitting and go with them.

Phearcia
2018-10-11, 02:59 AM
I didn't even think about stacking in Sonorous Hum, four spells at once would be ridiculous...maybe drop that for the Arcane Knowledge skill instead. And yeah, it's for fifth edition.
I could also just out right ban Sonorous Hum. i'll try it both ways figure out the damage numbers and rates.

Thanks guys.