PDA

View Full Version : Common Magic Item: Ironwood Blade. Thoughts?

Unoriginal
2018-10-11, 09:25 AM
I'm going to start DMing Dragon Heist soon, and I had the idea of the PCs getting their hand on a "Common" tier magic item, either by taking the material found during a quest to someone who can craft it, or by having them fight a gang leader who's using it.

Said item would be an Ironwood Blade, aka a weapon which is entirely made of wood, yet just as strong and cutting than the regular, metal version (with the added bonus of being magical for overcoming resistances and immunities).

My question is: what would you think of receiving this as a reward, as the players of a low-level PC group? I personally would like it, because I like that kind of items, but I'd like to gather different opinions.

I feel like having a low level boss with a peculiar weapon would make it more memorable, in any case. Though maybe a Moon-Touched Sword might be more impressive.

Vogie
2018-10-11, 09:28 AM
As long as you're okay with said players making a logical leap and desiring druids wearing ironwood plate armor, I don't see anything wrong with it.

sambojin
2018-10-11, 09:45 AM
^this. It might be harder to make armour from it (IE, they won't find someone that can do it/has enough of it/has been helped-blessed by the particular druid in question enough for the work to go well (IE, there'll be an adventuring day where the druid meets this super-woodsmith, spends gold/favours, a hell of a lot of spell-slots, half to three quarters of them, and *then* still has to do proper adventure stuff).

So, Ummm, probably 5th/6th level for the armour, with above considerations taken into account.

Hitty sticks are fine. Hell, make them +1 slashing hitty sticks if you want. If there's druidic input, down the track, let him blow resources, times, downtime or cash on +2 hitty slashy sticks. Or pokey piercy sticks. Whatever. Still probably not as good as the shillelagh cantrip would be.

But good non-metal armour. That's truly the candy for a druid. To the point that all druids of his and other circles would give tasks to do, to him, revolving around this NPC. Just so he could do this great work of nature alongside the one that made a slashy stick.

A slashy stick is a plot-hook without bounds to a druid. You wouldn't believe what they'd do to find out who can (or can be made to) do Ironwood armour.....

Pelle
2018-10-11, 10:22 AM
My question is: what would you think of receiving this as a reward, as the players of a low-level PC group? I personally would like it, because I like that kind of items, but I'd like to gather different opinions.

Sounds great. Why wouldn't someone like it?

Unoriginal
2018-10-11, 10:38 AM
Sounds great. Why wouldn't someone like it?

Strange are the minds of gods, and the minds of humans stranger still.

I've read the other day that some people expect +3 weapons by level 5.

Thanks for saying it sounds great.

I feel like I'll go with "minor boss has it as a weapon".

I'm hesitating between the "obvious big brute who just has a fun weapon" or more like "jester/streer-performer-themed bad guy who pretends to fool around with a wooden weapon, only to reveal it's actually dangerous when they try to kill the PCs."

The second encounter seems funnier, but there is value in a simple setup too.

Connington
2018-10-11, 10:49 AM
The second encounter seems funnier, but there is value in a simple setup too.

Making the boss a ranger, wood elf, or otherwise nature oriented makes the sword a character element without making it a focus of the encounter.

Spiritchaser
2018-10-11, 11:14 AM
As long as you're okay with said players making a logical leap and desiring druids wearing ironwood plate armor, I don't see anything wrong with it.

A few years ago I let a low level Druid find a breastplate made from a giant insect carapace. He really appreciated it. From a balance point of view it had few of any implications, it gave him something cool and unique, and it was going to be a plot hook for the party to lead them to an area far to the south where the insects lived. That last bit didn’t work out when the party decided they wanted nothing to do with that region for reasons unrelated to any of the above.

An ironwood sword sounds great in the same way, and opens an interesting door: who could make such a thing and why?

Are there sylvan words on the blade?

Is the wood still alive in some strange way?

Is the wood cut from the impossibly old living trunk of a giant and ancient sentient tree, growing on another world? Does touching that sword allow dark and maddening whispers spoken in... “tree” in to your mind (potentially a GOO patron!)

Unoriginal
2018-10-11, 11:19 AM
Making the boss a ranger, wood elf, or otherwise nature oriented makes the sword a character element without making it a focus of the encounter.

I'm not seeing the connection. It's not because is made of wood that it belongs to someone nature-oriented.

The idea behind making it in wood was more that the first thing people think when they hear "wooden sword" is "harmless" or "for training/playing".

sithlordnergal
2018-10-11, 11:23 AM
I rather like that idea. It brings in a unique common magic item that players can enjoy. And you can help make it a bit of a plot hook. All in all, I would enjoy it. I may even add it to my own home game.

As for the Druid potentially getting better armor due to the logic leap of Ironwood Weapons to Ironwood Armor...I don't see an issue there either. I mean, technically a Druid can already wear normal, metal half plate by RAW. It's just a taboo, no mechanical detriment outside of fellow druids possibly disliking you, unless a DM homebrews one. So giving a Druid wooden Half Plate isn't a big deal.

ciarannihill
2018-10-11, 11:38 AM
I'm going to start DMing Dragon Heist soon, and I had the idea of the PCs getting their hand on a "Common" tier magic item, either by taking the material found during a quest to someone who can craft it, or by having them fight a gang leader who's using it.

Said item would be an Ironwood Blade, aka a weapon which is entirely made of wood, yet just as strong and cutting than the regular, metal version (with the added bonus of being magical for overcoming resistances and immunities).

I feel like having a low level boss with a peculiar weapon would make it more memorable, in any case. Though maybe a Moon-Touched Sword might be more impressive.

So I like the idea a lot, but I will say if you want a memorable or interesting I would have the material mean something.

For example maybe it has the "Light" property despite being a longsword due to it's material component. Nothing game breaking, but a minor thing that makes it noteworthy -- why would someone make a weapon from this material instead of regular steel (given that most mooks at low levels would never encounter things that resist non-magical damage)?

Maybe it's not that big a thing, but I like the idea of it.

Kadesh
2018-10-11, 11:38 AM
Strange are the minds of gods, and the minds of humans stranger still.

I've read the other day that some people expect +3 weapons by level 5.

Unironically? Really?

Got a link so I can point and laugh?

The weapon is fine, although I'd guess that unless you have an intention of making Magic Attack Scarcity (thus increasing the value of such ribbon abilities on the Moon Druid, Monk or Pact of the Blade, or Paladin smites) - and thus the resistance to Non Magical BPS more prevalent on monsters, this is okay to throw in as loot.

There is nothing to say that the Ancients Paladin picking this up has the weapon gradually morph into an ironwood holy avenger, perhaps with its own 'Groot' Personality as it grows stronger.

Millstone85
2018-10-11, 11:41 AM
Iron from ice!

Connington
2018-10-11, 11:46 AM
I'm not seeing the connection. It's not because is made of wood that it belongs to someone nature-oriented.

The idea behind making it in wood was more that the first thing people think when they hear "wooden sword" is "harmless" or "for training/playing".

Fantasy setting, genre traditions of nature-revering (sub)cultures that shun metalwork and substitute magically advanced methods of woodcraft. A perfect examples is that 60% of the thread is discussing the implications for druidic armor. But use the associations and motifs that are meaningful to you and your players.

Max_Killjoy
2018-10-11, 12:45 PM
In a touch of irony, in certain places and times in the family of cultures which give us the concept of "druid", those who worked with metal were considered druids, or in the same class of persons as druids -- metalworking was a form of "magic".

Jophiel
2018-10-11, 12:52 PM
Unironically? Really?

Got a link so I can point and laugh?
No link, but even way back in my AD&D days, I remember a Dragon Magazine article suggesting that players who get a +1 at level one will be expecting a +5 by level five. The article itself (as I recall) was about minor magical or quasi-magical items (such as a non-magical silver/cold iron fused sword) you could reward players with without setting expectations.

[Edit: I should note that I'm not agreeing, just saying that it's not a new frame of thought]

Oramac
2018-10-11, 01:09 PM

This was my first thought as well.

Honestly, I've already decided that if a similar situation arises in one of my games, I'm happy to let the druid find some wooden plate armor or weapon. There's lots of ways to make it work. Maybe an ancient druidic elder is the only one that knows how to make it, and requires help/items/favors to do it. Maybe a ranger has never been to the city in his life and discovered the secret of making wooden weapons by imbuing them with ancient, long-forgotten, natural magics. Maybe a barbarian from a reclusive nomadic tribe has discovered a way to cure the wood within the Pool of Stone, a magical pool that appears to be normal stone, but acts as water.

TL;DR: yes, it's a good idea.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-11, 01:17 PM
I think it's neat. Bypassing magical resistance/immunity is nice.

Plus I could see some plot value. What if it sprouts branches or flowers later on, or some other weird stuff.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-11, 02:07 PM
It would be neat if it was carried by a martial student as a "training sword" or Boken, only to find out that the guy is actually extremely well trained with his family heirloom, that has been used and enchanted so often that the wood itself is magical.

Even better, have a fighter - samurai carry it in common clothes. To the untrianed eye it is just some guy with a wooden training sword. But he actually has Mage armor on and carrying a family heirloom.

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-11, 02:18 PM
I think it's a nice idea. Especially for a ranger or druid.

Whether I'd like it would probably depend on my character. :smalltongue:

All I'll say is that, whilst powerful/flashy items are rarely unwelcome, players will frequently form attachments to the most minor and mundane of items.

I'm sure I've been in parties which, when it came to distributing loot, would hand out the +2 Flaming Halberd and the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength without incident, only to then get into an argument about who gets to keep the Cloak of Billowing. :smallwink:

Deox
2018-10-12, 08:28 AM
These are exactly the types of "magic" items I absolutely adore both as a player and DM. Minor to no mechanical benefit, but adding absolutely amazing fluff and RP opportunities to help the character and world truly feel alive.

...only to then get into an argument about who gets to keep the Cloak of Billowing. :smallwink:

Every character I have played wants some sort of version of of this, because c'mon. Who doesn't always want some sort of 'on tap' dramatic entrance / exit?

Dr. Cliché
2018-10-12, 08:40 AM
Every character I have played wants some sort of version of of this, because c'mon. Who doesn't always want some sort of 'on tap' dramatic entrance / exit?

Oh, absolutely. It just amuses me that a party will distribute rare and powerful artefacts without issue, and then fight over the most minor of items. :smallbiggrin:

Sometimes it's not even magical stuff. One of my characters got really attached to this random fox-mask thing we found.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-12, 09:25 AM
Oh, absolutely. It just amuses me that a party will distribute rare and powerful artefacts without issue, and then fight over the most minor of items. :smallbiggrin:

Sometimes it's not even magical stuff. One of my characters got really attached to this random fox-mask thing we found.

I played a drow monk pimp once who took magic initiate just so he could have ghost sound play the themesong to Superfly everytime I entered a new place.
Also used prestidigitation to make my suit sparkle and leave an imprint of a glowing hand when I used stunning fist, cause I kept my pimp hand strong.

I had "The Glow".

Keravath
2018-10-12, 10:39 AM
Are you thinking it should be "common" based on strength or rarity?

In a homebrew game, the rarity assigned doesn't really matter. From a strength perspective, the sword is similar to what is provided by the shillelagh cantrip except for the attack stat used so it isn't a particularly strong magic item.

I think most low level parties would be happy to have it since it will bypass resistance to non-magical weapons. More folks might find it useful if is it is a finesse weapon like a rapier or short sword since it will be usable by both dex and str based characters. Or if you want it a bit more powerful you could make it a long sword shape with both light and finesse properties (since it is wood not steel .. it could be lighter in weight).

However, why assign a "common" tag unless these weapons are actually common in the world you are building?

JackPhoenix
2018-10-12, 10:53 AM
Oh, absolutely. It just amuses me that a party will distribute rare and powerful artefacts without issue, and then fight over the most minor of items.

Mostly because those rare and powerful artefacts have their specific users. Magical staff that requires attunement by a spellcaster is useless to a barbarian, the rogue won't care about magic greatsword because he can't use it to make sneak attacks, and to Str 8 wizard who's not proficient with it, plate armor is worse than useless, it's an active hindrance.

Minor, but cool item anyone can use, OTOH...

Or if you want it a bit more powerful you could make it a long sword shape with both light and finesse properties (since it is wood not steel .. it could be lighter in weight).

Light (and heavy) property has little to do with actual weight. It's all about suitability to use with TWF or how awkward it is to use when you're 3' tall. Same with finesse: it's not about weight, but about how you use the weapon.

Oramac
2018-10-12, 11:32 AM
I played a drow monk pimp once who took magic initiate just so he could have ghost sound play the themesong to Superfly everytime I entered a new place.
Also used prestidigitation to make my suit sparkle and leave an imprint of a glowing hand when I used stunning fist, cause I kept my pimp hand strong.

I had "The Glow".

I am so stealing this character concept!

Personification
2018-10-12, 01:09 PM

I think this would work best if the person who gets it is a Druid.

Enemy who has it idea: if the Druid is an Emerald Enclave member (which they probably are), they get a mission saying that one of the Enclave's Druid agents in the city suddenly started behaving erratically and went rogue (not Rogue, rogue) this Druid holds a magic wooden sword gifted by Jeryth Phaulkon. Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to track down this rogue Druid (NOT Rogue/Druid), figure out why they turned, and/or eliminate them. Reward: renown in EE and any equipment the target held. The reason that the Druid went rogue (not...whatever, you get it by now) is that they were actually taken over by one of Nihiloor intellect devourers. If they are raised they return to the EE, and maybe return as an ally, but you still keep the sword.

Unoriginal
2018-10-12, 01:51 PM
I think this would work best if the person who gets it is a Druid.

Why? Druids have magic already.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-12, 01:53 PM
Why? Druids have magic already.

Probably just for thematics, I could also see it as being a casting focus for a druid.
As far as combat goes, they get shilleglagh already, so not going to do much there.

DMThac0
2018-10-12, 01:58 PM
I love the idea of a wooden sword that is actually magical...I had a player in one of my games hunting for an iron wood tree specifically so he could make one.

As to the "boss" I think a play off of Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman would make for a memorable encounter. Go with a fighter UA samurai and just have fun with it.

The player who gets the weapon, well it can be anyone, it's a magical sword made of wood...who wouldn't want one?!

Personification
2018-10-12, 02:07 PM
Probably just for thematics, I could also see it as being a casting focus for a druid.
As far as combat goes, they get shilleglagh already, so not going to do much there.

Fair enough, but I do think that the enemy should still be a druid (with a bonus proficiency in whatever the sword is).