PDA

View Full Version : the pet master build(advice )

Amdy_vill
2018-10-12, 01:24 PM
so I have been working on a build focused around pets and others summons. currently this is what I have. I am looking for even more whys to get pets and keep the alive. i am thinking of moving the wizard and fighter levels to the start of the build.

Race Kobold

level 1 ranger
level 2 ranger
level 3 ranger(bestmaster)
level 4 ranger (for extra attack)
level 5 druid
level 6 druid(shepherd)
level 7 wizard
level 8 fighter
level 9 wizard
level 10 fighter
level 11 wizard(conjuration)
level 12 fighter(caviler)
level 13 wizard
level 14 wizard
level 15 wizard
level 16 wizard
level 17 wizard
level 18 wizard
level 19 wizard
level 20 wizard

current strategy: find familiar, bestmaster(Pteranodon), druid totem spirt, homunculus, and a summoned demon.

tieren
2018-10-12, 02:16 PM
You get extra attack at ranger 5 not 4.

Personally I would go:

Chain pact warlock 3/paladin 5/beast master ranger 3/shepherd druid 9

Get:
better familiar (and supporting invocation)/find steed/beast master buddy/ totem if you want to count them but more importantly the conjuration spells (conjure animals/woodland beings/minor elementals) and even better Awaken for a small army of sentient pets (if you can afford it).

More optimized might be sticking with lore bard and poaching some of the spells (find greater steed, etc...) lock3/ranger3/bard14.

edit:

and obviously the most "pets" would be a necromancer, but I don't think thats the vibe you are looking for.

Maxilian
2018-10-12, 02:19 PM
Some things:

-You get Extra Attack at 5 Ranger, not 4

-Why the Wizard lvl? that would make you more MAD as you will need at least 13 int, you could get Find Familiar with the Magic Initiate fear or the Ritual Caster feat. (Not actually a question, i know its mostly for the Homonculus)

-With only 2 lvls in Druid, you won't get access to Conjure Animals or Conjure Woodland beings. (need at least 5 lvls)

-If UA is an option, you could go Warlock instead of Wizard, and go Raven Warlock, as it give you a "familiar" raven (does not count as a familiar) and use Find Familiar to basically have 2 familiars (or use the Pact of Chain familiar).

-If UA is not an option, the Warlock Hexblade get a Cursed Specter at lvl 6 (It doesn't dissapear unless you take a long rest, or dies, so can keep it for long periods of time), also Warlock also give you acess to Conjure Lesser Demons.

-An Imp Familiar could, by RAW, carry a naked kobold.

-Also Paladin is a nice option, as it give you acess to Find Steed (A Lore Bard can also get this)

strangebloke
2018-10-12, 02:24 PM
Vhuman with ritual caster(wizard) to get a familiar.

3 levels in ranger for animal companion.

6 levels in lore bard for Find Greater Steed (not quite RAW, but close enough)

maybe two more levels of ranger for extra attack.

at least five levels in shepherds druid for conjure animals.

You'll ride into battle on a pegasus with a pteradon and an owl flanking you, and a unicorn spirit watching over you.

you will be the most magical of princesses.

Maxilian
2018-10-12, 02:30 PM
6 levels in lore bard for Find Greater Steed (not quite RAW, but close enough)

That would only let you get Find Steed, at lvl 6 Bard, you can't still get Lvl 4 spells.

Note: Is still good, just that no flying option for you.

you will be the most magical of princesses.

If UA is an option, drop the 2 extra lvl of Ranger for extra attack, and go with 2 lvl warlock Raven Queen, that way you can get a White raven pet and a good at will attack.

Note: Another option is 6 lvl in Artificer instead of Bard, for a Mechanical Servant, if you really want that flying mount

strangebloke
2018-10-12, 02:55 PM
That would only let you get Find Steed, at lvl 6 Bard, you can't still get Lvl 4 spells.

Note: Is still good, just that no flying option for you.

If UA is an option, drop the 2 extra lvl of Ranger for extra attack, and go with 2 lvl warlock Raven Queen, that way you can get a White raven pet and a good at will attack.

Note: Another option is 6 lvl in Artificer instead of Bard, for a Mechanical Servant, if you really want that flying mount

Not strictly by RAW. You have to pick a spell you can cast according to the bard table but I think it's eminently reasonable to argue that you should be allow to pick a spell you can cst due to multiclass rules.

There is also the option to get a ring of spell storing and have the wizard/paladin/whoever cast their pet spell into it.

Foxhound438
2018-10-12, 02:56 PM
More optimized might be sticking with lore bard and poaching some of the spells (find greater steed, etc...) lock3/ranger3/bard14.

This probably gives a good amount. Find familiar (improved), ranger companion, find steed, find greater steed, homunculus, a conjured fey (or even celestial), and however many awakened trees you have the income to spend 1000GP on.

Personally, I'd skip multiclassing and go pure bard to true polymorph a big rock into Ulitharid (Volo's guide; basically jacked up mind flayer) or a young silver dragon. You can still have a normal find familiar from ritual caster, so you only lose out on a conjured fey/celestial and what would be a 12HP beastmaster companion for something far, far greater.

Maxilian
2018-10-12, 02:58 PM
Not strictly by RAW. You have to pick a spell you can cast according to the bard table but I think it's eminently reasonable to argue that you should be allow to pick a spell you can cst due to multiclass rules.

There is also the option to get a ring of spell storing and have the wizard/paladin/whoever cast their pet spell into it.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/21/pal6lorebard6-additional-magical-secrets/

Not how it works by RAW, the Multiclass part is quite specific on that.

Though i do agree is something that you can easily sell to SOME DMs.

strangebloke
2018-10-12, 03:01 PM
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/21/pal6lorebard6-additional-magical-secrets/

Not how it works by RAW, the Multiclass part is quite specific on that.

Though i do agree is something that you can easily sell to SOME DMs.

I know it doesn't work by RAW. Hence why I said, twice, that it doesn't work by RAW.

Maxilian
2018-10-12, 03:03 PM
I know it doesn't work by RAW. Hence why I said, twice, that it doesn't work by RAW.

Sorry is that you said "not strictly by RAW" and make it sound like those other rules that may or may not be RAW, that can be easily debated either way, reason why i gave such an answer

Note: OP, The Urchin Background give you a Mouse pet, though its almost the same as an item, as it have no actual mechanical value, nor its even counted as an unit in combat, is more for the sake of RP, but there is another pet i guess..

Note2: You can also buy some creatures from stables, the PHB have the price for some of them

Citan
2018-10-12, 03:12 PM
so I have been working on a build focused around pets and others summons. currently this is what I have. I am looking for even more whys to get pets and keep the alive. i am thinking of moving the wizard and fighter levels to the start of the build.

Race Kobold

level 1 ranger
level 2 ranger
level 3 ranger(bestmaster)
level 4 ranger (for extra attack)
level 5 druid
level 6 druid(shepherd)
level 7 wizard
level 8 fighter
level 9 wizard
level 10 fighter
level 11 wizard(conjuration)
level 12 fighter(caviler)
level 13 wizard
level 14 wizard
level 15 wizard
level 16 wizard
level 17 wizard
level 18 wizard
level 19 wizard
level 20 wizard

current strategy: find familiar, bestmaster(Pteranodon), druid totem spirt, homunculus, and a summoned demon.
Hi!

Honestly, I'd recommend something really different.
IF you are looking for (conjuration offense and survival) optimization at least.
Otherwise, don't read below and go knock yourself out of fun! :)

----
First, having to multiclass into Wizard forces you to disperse starting stats a bit thin while you'd definitely want decent AC and concentration.
Second, this split means you'd have to wait a heck of a long time to get Resilient: Constitution, although your whole build relies on keeping concentration. And the "no break from damage" benefit from Wizard comes awfully too late for it to be really helpful.
Third, in the same idea, the "30 THP every cast" is overall useless, because it would be a capstone.
Fourth, Ranger's Extra Attack is overall useless to you unless you planned on staying at range whatever happens. Otherwise, you'd better off grabbing Spell Sniper for Thorns Whip or Booming Blade to pair with Shillelagh. In the long run it's really better imo.

Meanwhile...
- Shepherd Druid gets more powerful conjuration later, has Bear totem's THP scaling with Druid level and its 10th level ability can make a few high CR conjuration last much longer than one-off 30 THP.
- Shepherd Druid also gets a bootload of great spells, including Wind Walk which can be useful when you want to go fast with conjured troops but need non-flying forms.
- Cleric is a "natural" multiclass, and would provide you many useful synergies: first just from spells (upcast Aid, Warding Bond, Spiritual Weapon, Animate Dead, Glyph of Warding, Magic Circle, Revivify).
- Cleric again: second from Domain: Life means you could use only one or few slots to heal all party when needed with Healing Spirit and keep everything else for conjurations. Light could bring a great opener with Fireball, or Tempest to alleviate some Druid spells and give you something even better than Fireball (maximized Shatter: same average damage, but easier to avoid friendly fire) (honestly Zeal is the best of both worlds).

As far as Wizard's utility, you can (provided decent DM) hope to get at least most rituals with a Ritual Caster feat, easier to get since better starting stats and less build dispersion.

So I'd rather recommend this.

Ranger 2 > Tempest Cleric 2 > Shepherd Druid 6 then mid-goal Ranger 4 + Cleric 4 + Druid 7 then end goal Ranger 4 / Cleric 6 / Druid 10.
Unless you really want the Ranger beast early for fluff and mount partnership in which case Ranger 3 + Cleric 3 (you really want Warding Bond and Aid to help it survive) then Druid 3 (Healing Spirit to further help) could be another nice way to go.