PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next DM seeking help balancing 3 evolving weapons for Storm King's Thunder

Barbarian MD
2018-10-14, 08:00 AM
This all started because my players are in Waterdeep and there's a 5e conversion of Blue Alley on DM's Guild. Naturally I went and read the 2e version of Blue Alley and holy cow, there's a weapon called Magebane that induces muteness/madness x 1d4 rounds when it strikes a caster. I love it, but clearly that's not appropriate for my 5e murder-hoboes.

So I decided to create my own version, and, well, one thing led to another and I've created three legendary artifacts that evolve as the players gain power and satisfy the purpose these weapons were created for.

Specific questions:
1) I know these are powerful, but are they broken?
2) What criteria might be good for leveling them up?
3) Any particularly flavorful suggestions you have for abilities or suggested changes?

Magebane (Shortsword, d8)

Tier 1 (will receive at level 4)
+1d4 damage against casters.
Imposes disadvantage on concentration checks on hit until end of next turn.

Tier 2 (on slaying a magic user, level 4 or higher)
+1 weapon.
Cure wounds as bonus action 2d8, 1x/long rest.

Tier 3 (level 5 or higher)
As reaction, resistance to one spell that does [element] damage. Next attack deals spell level x d8 [element], 1x/short rest.
On a critical hit, caster loses 1 spell slot of lowest level.

Tier 4 (level 5 or higher)
Counterspell at level 3. 1x/long rest
Heal 1x/long rest.

Tier 5 (level 10 or higher)
Counterspell at level 6. 1x/long rest.
Counterspell at level 3. 1x/short rest.
On attack roll of natural 20, casters experience 1d4 rounds of muteness/insanity, DC 15 Constitution Save.

Elminster’s Kindness (Two-handed, Maul, 2d6)

Elminster's Kindness is for my barbarian. He rolled an embroidered handerchief on the trinket table and randomly decided it said "Elminster." He will wake up with his room smelling of pipe smoke and a note that says, "Thanks for finding my handerchief. Hope you'll accept this in trade." I wonder how long it will be before my players realize they're "killing 'em with Kindness."

Tier 1 (will recieve at level 3)
Exploding damage dice: on a 6, roll die again and add. Counts as magical.

Tier 2 (when first drawn within 30’ of giant/dragon)
+1 weapon.
2x rage duration and uses/day

Tier 3 (on slaying a giant/dragon, level 5 or higher)
+1d8 thunder damage against giants and dragons
Thrown weapon, range 20/60, returns to hand

Tier 4 (level 7 or higher)
Strength +2. Can exceed 20.
+1d8 thunder damage.
+2d8 thunder damage against giants and dragons
Giants and Dragons make DC 10 Constitution save or Stunned until end of current turn (limited to once per round)

Strength +4 (maximum 30). Constitution +2.
Giants and Dragons make DC 17 Constitution save or die on an attack roll of natural 20 (legendary resistance works as normal)
All creatures in 30’ radius make DC 15 Strength save or knocked prone on a hit. 3x/day.

Cursebringer (Versatile Greatsword 1d8/2d6)

Cursebringer is for my Fighter 2/Hexblade X. He has made a pact with the Raven Queen.

Tier 1 (forms in hand first time reducing Undead to 0 hp)
Charisma to attack/damage instead of Strength if Hexblade
Counts as a Pact of the Blade Weapon.
Form as a bonus action in hand, taking 1d6 necrotic damage. Can be sheathed. If ever more than 100’ away disappears in a mist of smoke.

Tier 2 (level 4 or higher)
Armor of Agathys on self, 2x/short rest, cast as bonus action, without using spell slot.
+1d4 against Undead.

Gain benefits of Cursebringer Invocation (UA):
Change target of Hexblade’s Curse or Hex as free action when target reduced to 0 hp. Does not extend duration.
Expend one spell slot to deal extra 2d8 + (n-1)d8 necrotic damage per spell level.
Reduce enemy speed on hit to 0 feet until end of next turn, 1x/short rest.
+ 1 weapon.
+1d8 against undead.

Can use Hexblade’s Curse 2x/short rest.
Blade explodes into 30’ cone, 4d6 cold and 4d6 necrotic damage, using your spell save DC. Must be reformed with 1d6 necrotic damage to self. 3x/day, recharges at dusk.

+2 Weapon
Creatures slain by the blade have their souls immediately trapped within the domain of the Raven Queen and cannot be raised by anything short of a Wish spell.

renko273
2020-05-03, 04:54 PM
This all started because my players are in Waterdeep and there's a 5e conversion of Blue Alley on DM's Guild. Naturally I went and read the 2e version of Blue Alley and holy cow, there's a weapon called Magebane that induces muteness/madness x 1d4 rounds when it strikes a caster. I love it, but clearly that's not appropriate for my 5e murder-hoboes.

So I decided to create my own version, and, well, one thing led to another and I've created three legendary artifacts that evolve as the players gain power and satisfy the purpose these weapons were created for.

Specific questions:
1) I know these are powerful, but are they broken?
2) What criteria might be good for leveling them up?
3) Any particularly flavorful suggestions you have for abilities or suggested changes?

Magebane (Shortsword, d8)

Tier 1 (will receive at level 4)
+1d4 damage against casters.
Imposes disadvantage on concentration checks on hit until end of next turn.

Tier 2 (on slaying a magic user, level 4 or higher)
+1 weapon.
Cure wounds as bonus action 2d8, 1x/long rest.

As reaction, resistance to one spell that does [element] damage. Next attack deals spell level x d8 [element], 1x/short rest.
On a critical hit, caster loses 1 spell slot of lowest level.

Tier 4 (level 5 or higher)
Counterspell at level 3. 1x/long rest
Heal 1x/long rest.

Counterspell at level 6. 1x/long rest.
Counterspell at level 3. 1x/short rest.
On attack roll of natural 20, casters experience 1d4 rounds of muteness/insanity, DC 15 Constitution Save.

Elminster’s Kindness (Two-handed, Maul, 2d6)

Elminster's Kindness is for my barbarian. He rolled an embroidered handerchief on the trinket table and randomly decided it said "Elminster." He will wake up with his room smelling of pipe smoke and a note that says, "Thanks for finding my handerchief. Hope you'll accept this in trade." I wonder how long it will be before my players realize they're "killing 'em with Kindness."

Tier 1 (will recieve at level 3)
Exploding damage dice: on a 6, roll die again and add. Counts as magical.

Tier 2 (when first drawn within 30’ of giant/dragon)
+1 weapon.
2x rage duration and uses/day

Tier 3 (on slaying a giant/dragon, level 5 or higher)
+1d8 thunder damage against giants and dragons
Thrown weapon, range 20/60, returns to hand

Strength +2. Can exceed 20.
+1d8 thunder damage.
+2d8 thunder damage against giants and dragons
Giants and Dragons make DC 10 Constitution save or Stunned until end of current turn (limited to once per round)

Strength +4 (maximum 30). Constitution +2.
Giants and Dragons make DC 17 Constitution save or die on an attack roll of natural 20 (legendary resistance works as normal)
All creatures in 30’ radius make DC 15 Strength save or knocked prone on a hit. 3x/day.

Cursebringer (Versatile Greatsword 1d8/2d6)

Cursebringer is for my Fighter 2/Hexblade X. He has made a pact with the Raven Queen.

Tier 1 (forms in hand first time reducing Undead to 0 hp)
Charisma to attack/damage instead of Strength if Hexblade
Counts as a Pact of the Blade Weapon.
Form as a bonus action in hand, taking 1d6 necrotic damage. Can be sheathed. If ever more than 100’ away disappears in a mist of smoke.

Tier 2 (level 4 or higher)
Armor of Agathys on self, 2x/short rest, cast as bonus action, without using spell slot.
+1d4 against Undead.

Gain benefits of Cursebringer Invocation (UA):
Change target of Hexblade’s Curse or Hex as free action when target reduced to 0 hp. Does not extend duration.
Expend one spell slot to deal extra 2d8 + (n-1)d8 necrotic damage per spell level.
Reduce enemy speed on hit to 0 feet until end of next turn, 1x/short rest.
+ 1 weapon.
+1d8 against undead.

Can use Hexblade’s Curse 2x/short rest.
Blade explodes into 30’ cone, 4d6 cold and 4d6 necrotic damage, using your spell save DC. Must be reformed with 1d6 necrotic damage to self. 3x/day, recharges at dusk.

+2 Weapon
Creatures slain by the blade have their souls immediately trapped within the domain of the Raven Queen and cannot be raised by anything short of a Wish spell.

How did these work out for you if you used them? I have a party in Blue Alley now and like your Magebane.

Barbarian MD
2020-05-04, 09:10 AM
It's been a lot of fun. I've modified the weapons over time to better balance and fit the characters. I'll track down the cards and post them here.

Magebane in particular is my favorite right now. It's absolutely murderous. It tried to get the monk to murder every party member in their sleep. It openly encourages that she stab them even when they're standing right there. The monk ended up trading it away to the party wizard, which was an absolute delight for me. It encourages suicide on a near daily basis. I'm still waiting for it to start a bar fight by insulting the warriors one table over and then letting the wizard take the blame for it; it's just been a really long time since they've sat down in a tavern.

I ended up taking a completely different tack with Elminster's Kindness.
It actually ended up being a trapped Dawn Titan primordial like Maegera that is trapped in like an iron flask in the head of the hammer. Its prison is being weakened every time the barbarian kills someone once it hit tier 5, so it's only a matter of time before the party unwittingly unleashes a CR>20 ancient creature of destruction and chaos onto Faerun. It was all a trick by the cult of elemental evil through some divination to find a beater likely to break the prison, and a Nystul's Magic Aura made the party none the wiser.

Barbarian MD
2020-05-04, 07:54 PM
Here's the updated Magebane. I may have to nerf it somewhat but it's in the hands of the party wizard so I'm not currently overly worried about it.

Tier 1
+1d4 necrotic damage against casters

Imposes disadvantage on constitution saves to maintain concentration until end of next turn. (If possess feat Mage Slayer, then save DC is equal to damage taken rather than half.)

Glows when in presence (30’) of a spellcaster. Can be taught to ignore certain auras… grudgingly.

Tier 2

+1 weapon.

Gain 5 charges, recharge at dawn. Cast Absorb Elements (1 charge) or Detect Magic (1 charge).

After making a successful melee attack against a spellcaster, you may expend 3 charges, or without using any charges on a critical hit, spellcasters struck by rhe weapon must make spellcasting ability save DC 17 or lose a spell slot. For every 1 they fail the save by, the spell slot is one higher (So Int16 = level1, Int15 = level2, Int8 = level 9).

Tier 3

Randomly steals a magical effect from the last (spellcasting) creature it killed and emulates it. (1d6 [elemental] damage or other DM choice of effect.

Tier 4

+2 weapon

Number of charges increase to 15.

Cast Counterspell or Dispel Magic (3 charges each. Can expend additional charge (1 per level) to cast at a higher level, to a maximum of 6. Spellcasting ability is Constitution.

After making a successful melee attack, you may expend 10 charges, or on an attack roll of natural 20 without expending any charges, any spellcaster struck by the weapon must make an Intelligence Save DC19 or experience 1d4 rounds of muteness/insanity.

While attuned to this item, spell attacks have disadvantage against you and you gain advantage on saving throws to resist magical effects.

Barbarian MD
2020-05-04, 08:00 PM
Here are the stats for Kindness

*Ecaroth
(Maul, Two-Handed, Heavy, 2d6 bludgeoning damage)

+2 weapon: You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
Enhanced weapon: Damage 2d6 bludgeoning + 1d6 thunder damage (or +2d6 if giant or dragon type)
Exploding damage dice: On a roll of 6, re-roll and add the damage to your original roll. (Note: dice already re-rolled, such as through great weapon master, are not eligible to be rolled again)
Storm’s Fury: Rage uses per day and rage duration are doubled
Returning: Gains the thrown property, range 20/60, returns to hand after thrown.

Ecaroth has 9 charges, which recharge at a rate of 1d6+3 each dawn:
Thunderous Strike (1 charge). As an action, attack one creature. All creatures in a 30’ radius of that creature must make a DC 17 Strength save or be knocked prone.
Mighty Throw (2 charges). As an action, throw the weapon in a 100’ line, dealing 2d6 thunder damage to all creatures struck. The weapon returns to the hand after being thrown.
Lightning Storm (9 charges). As an action, call lightning down directly onto your position. All creatures within a 5’ radius must succeed on a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or suffer 10d6 lightning damage as well as a DC 17 Constitution save or suffer 3d10 thunder damage.

Giant Killer:
Once per turn on a successful attack, a target with the Dragon or Giant type must make a DC 14 Constitution save or be Stunned until the end of their next turn.
On an attack roll of 20, a target with the Giant or Dragon type must make a DC 19 Constitution save or be slain instantly.
Storm Mastery: You gain the following benefits while you hold Ecaroth
You can speak Primordial fluently.
You have resistance to lightning/thunder damage.
You can use your action to cast dominate monster (save DC 17) on an air elemental or to cast the conjure elemental spell, summoning an air elemental. Once you have done so, Ecaroth can’t be used this way again until the next dawn.
During a storm, gain a fly speed of 30 feet.
Proficiency with a maul allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with it.
Flaw. Ecaroth makes its wielder particularly capricious and destructive. While attuned to the weapon, you gain the following flaw: “The only good giant or dragon is a dead one.” In addition, if you are attuned to Ecaroth for 24 consecutive hours, electricity begins to crackle over your skin and behind your eyes and you always seem to be soaking wet. This effect can be removed with a greater restoration spell or similar magic, but not while you are attuned to the weapon.

Secrets> players stay out!

Ecaroth (weapon)
Sentience: Ecaroth is a sentient chaotic evil weapon with an intelligence of 16, a wisdom of 12, and a charisma of 16. It has hearing and blindsight out to a range of 30 feet. The weapon communicates telepathically with its wielder and can speak, read, and understand Primordial.
Personality: Ecaroth wants to break free of its imprisonment. Even more than this, it seeks to bring death and ruin on the dragons (which slew it) and giants (particularly the cloud giant god Memnor in order to take his place ruling Thraotor).

Destroying the Maul: After awakening to the maul’s true and hidden strength, the destruction of the maul becomes inevitable with continued use. Each time the weapon slays an enemy, roll a d100. On a roll of 91-100, the weapon leaves a mote of raw elemental power hovering in the place where death occurred. With each mote created, the range increases by 1, so a roll of 90-100 will leave a mote on the next kill and so on. Killing a giant or dragon leaves a mote without any roll required and will also increase the range by 1. At a threshold as decided on by the DM, the maul shatters, and Ecaroth is released.

Archomental (CE)
Rightful ruler of Thraotor, plane of storms, within the Elemental Chaos
Considers Memnor to be a usurper - giant deity of pride and control, deity of cloud giants tried to usurp Annam
Was destroyed during the Dawn War by dragons and sealed within an iron flask. That flask has been encased within a weapon of great power by the Cult of Elemental Evil and placed in an unsuspecting adventurer’s hand, in the hopes that by absorbing the life force of enough giants and dragons it will awaken the slumbering Ecaroth and allow him to be freed.

Personality Trait:
Ideals:
Bonds: I will avenge myself on dragon-kind and the giants, and eventually the gods.
Flaws: I am an unstoppable force of nature and it is my right and destiny to rule and destroy. No one can stop me and I need no one.

Armor class: 17
Hit points: 526
Speed: 50’, fly 50’
Abilities: S: 21 (+5) D: 24 (+7) C: 22 (+5) I: 14 (+1) W: 16 (+3) Ch: 23 (+6)
Saving Throws: DEX + 13, CON + 12, CHA +12
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons, cold
Damage Immunities: poison, lightning, thunder
Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses: blindsight 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages: Auran, Aquan (Primordial)
Challenge:

Lightning Form. Ecaroth can enter a hostile creature’s space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch without squeezing if fire could pass through that space. A creature that touches the elemental or hits it with a melee attack with a metal weapon while within 5 feet of it takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage. In addition, the elemental can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. The first time it enters a creature's space on a turn, that creature takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage and catches fire; until someone takes an action to douse the fire, the creature takes 5 (1d10) fire damage at the start of each of its turns.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Ecaroth fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Living Storm. Ecaroth is always at the center of a storm 1d6+4 miles in diameter. Heavy precipitation in the form of either rain or snow falls there, causing the area to be lightly obscured. Heavy rain also extinguishes open flames and imposes disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.
In addition, strong winds swirl in the area covered by the storm. The winds impose disadvantage on ranged attack rolls. The winds extinguish open flames and disperse fog.
Empowered Attacks. Ecaroth’s slam attacks are treated as magical for the purpose of bypassing resistance and immunity to non-magical weapons.

Multiattack. Ecaroth makes two slam attacks or one lightning bolt attack.

Thunderous slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d8 + 7) force damage plus 10 (3d6) thunder damage

Lightning Bolt. Creates a stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide. Each creature in the line must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.

Lightning Storm (Recharge 6): All other creatures within 120 feet of Ecaroth must each make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If a target’s saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature is also stunned until the end of its next turn.

Legendary Actions. Ecaroth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time.
Lightning Surge (Cost 1 Action). Ecaroth unleashes a surge of lightning and accompanying thunder that can be heard out to a range of 300 feet. Each creature within 30 feet of Ecaroth takes 4 (1d8) thunder damage and 4 (1d8) lightning damage

Teleport (Costs 2 Actions). Ecaroth magically teleports up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see. Anything it is wearing or carrying is teleported with it.
Lightning Strike (Cost 2 actions). The tempest can cause a bolt of lightning to strike a point on the ground anywhere under the storm. Each creature within 5 feet of that point must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 16 (3d10) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Screaming Gale (Cost 3 actions). Ecaroth releases a blast of thunder and wind in a line that is 1 mile long and 20 feet wide. Objects in that area take 22 (4d10) thunder damage. Each creature there must succeed on a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw or take 22 (4d10) thunder damage and be flung up to 60 feet in a direction away from the line. If a thrown target collides with an immovable object, such as a wall or floor, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown before impact. If the target would collide with another creature instead, that other creature must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

renko273
2020-05-07, 10:22 AM
Here are the stats for Kindness

*Ecaroth
(Maul, Two-Handed, Heavy, 2d6 bludgeoning damage)

+2 weapon: You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
Enhanced weapon: Damage 2d6 bludgeoning + 1d6 thunder damage (or +2d6 if giant or dragon type)
Exploding damage dice: On a roll of 6, re-roll and add the damage to your original roll. (Note: dice already re-rolled, such as through great weapon master, are not eligible to be rolled again)
Storm’s Fury: Rage uses per day and rage duration are doubled
Returning: Gains the thrown property, range 20/60, returns to hand after thrown.

Ecaroth has 9 charges, which recharge at a rate of 1d6+3 each dawn:
Thunderous Strike (1 charge). As an action, attack one creature. All creatures in a 30’ radius of that creature must make a DC 17 Strength save or be knocked prone.
Mighty Throw (2 charges). As an action, throw the weapon in a 100’ line, dealing 2d6 thunder damage to all creatures struck. The weapon returns to the hand after being thrown.
Lightning Storm (9 charges). As an action, call lightning down directly onto your position. All creatures within a 5’ radius must succeed on a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or suffer 10d6 lightning damage as well as a DC 17 Constitution save or suffer 3d10 thunder damage.

Giant Killer:
Once per turn on a successful attack, a target with the Dragon or Giant type must make a DC 14 Constitution save or be Stunned until the end of their next turn.
On an attack roll of 20, a target with the Giant or Dragon type must make a DC 19 Constitution save or be slain instantly.
Storm Mastery: You gain the following benefits while you hold Ecaroth
You can speak Primordial fluently.
You have resistance to lightning/thunder damage.
You can use your action to cast dominate monster (save DC 17) on an air elemental or to cast the conjure elemental spell, summoning an air elemental. Once you have done so, Ecaroth can’t be used this way again until the next dawn.
During a storm, gain a fly speed of 30 feet.
Proficiency with a maul allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with it.
Flaw. Ecaroth makes its wielder particularly capricious and destructive. While attuned to the weapon, you gain the following flaw: “The only good giant or dragon is a dead one.” In addition, if you are attuned to Ecaroth for 24 consecutive hours, electricity begins to crackle over your skin and behind your eyes and you always seem to be soaking wet. This effect can be removed with a greater restoration spell or similar magic, but not while you are attuned to the weapon.

Secrets> players stay out!

Ecaroth (weapon)
Sentience: Ecaroth is a sentient chaotic evil weapon with an intelligence of 16, a wisdom of 12, and a charisma of 16. It has hearing and blindsight out to a range of 30 feet. The weapon communicates telepathically with its wielder and can speak, read, and understand Primordial.
Personality: Ecaroth wants to break free of its imprisonment. Even more than this, it seeks to bring death and ruin on the dragons (which slew it) and giants (particularly the cloud giant god Memnor in order to take his place ruling Thraotor).

Destroying the Maul: After awakening to the maul’s true and hidden strength, the destruction of the maul becomes inevitable with continued use. Each time the weapon slays an enemy, roll a d100. On a roll of 91-100, the weapon leaves a mote of raw elemental power hovering in the place where death occurred. With each mote created, the range increases by 1, so a roll of 90-100 will leave a mote on the next kill and so on. Killing a giant or dragon leaves a mote without any roll required and will also increase the range by 1. At a threshold as decided on by the DM, the maul shatters, and Ecaroth is released.

Archomental (CE)
Rightful ruler of Thraotor, plane of storms, within the Elemental Chaos
Considers Memnor to be a usurper - giant deity of pride and control, deity of cloud giants tried to usurp Annam
Was destroyed during the Dawn War by dragons and sealed within an iron flask. That flask has been encased within a weapon of great power by the Cult of Elemental Evil and placed in an unsuspecting adventurer’s hand, in the hopes that by absorbing the life force of enough giants and dragons it will awaken the slumbering Ecaroth and allow him to be freed.

Personality Trait:
Ideals:
Bonds: I will avenge myself on dragon-kind and the giants, and eventually the gods.
Flaws: I am an unstoppable force of nature and it is my right and destiny to rule and destroy. No one can stop me and I need no one.

Armor class: 17
Hit points: 526
Speed: 50’, fly 50’
Abilities: S: 21 (+5) D: 24 (+7) C: 22 (+5) I: 14 (+1) W: 16 (+3) Ch: 23 (+6)
Saving Throws: DEX + 13, CON + 12, CHA +12
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons, cold
Damage Immunities: poison, lightning, thunder
Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses: blindsight 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages: Auran, Aquan (Primordial)
Challenge:

Lightning Form. Ecaroth can enter a hostile creature’s space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch without squeezing if fire could pass through that space. A creature that touches the elemental or hits it with a melee attack with a metal weapon while within 5 feet of it takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage. In addition, the elemental can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. The first time it enters a creature's space on a turn, that creature takes 5 (1d10) lightning damage and catches fire; until someone takes an action to douse the fire, the creature takes 5 (1d10) fire damage at the start of each of its turns.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Ecaroth fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Living Storm. Ecaroth is always at the center of a storm 1d6+4 miles in diameter. Heavy precipitation in the form of either rain or snow falls there, causing the area to be lightly obscured. Heavy rain also extinguishes open flames and imposes disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.
In addition, strong winds swirl in the area covered by the storm. The winds impose disadvantage on ranged attack rolls. The winds extinguish open flames and disperse fog.
Empowered Attacks. Ecaroth’s slam attacks are treated as magical for the purpose of bypassing resistance and immunity to non-magical weapons.

Multiattack. Ecaroth makes two slam attacks or one lightning bolt attack.

Thunderous slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d8 + 7) force damage plus 10 (3d6) thunder damage

Lightning Bolt. Creates a stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide. Each creature in the line must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.

Lightning Storm (Recharge 6): All other creatures within 120 feet of Ecaroth must each make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If a target’s saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature is also stunned until the end of its next turn.

Legendary Actions. Ecaroth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time.
Lightning Surge (Cost 1 Action). Ecaroth unleashes a surge of lightning and accompanying thunder that can be heard out to a range of 300 feet. Each creature within 30 feet of Ecaroth takes 4 (1d8) thunder damage and 4 (1d8) lightning damage

Teleport (Costs 2 Actions). Ecaroth magically teleports up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see. Anything it is wearing or carrying is teleported with it.
Lightning Strike (Cost 2 actions). The tempest can cause a bolt of lightning to strike a point on the ground anywhere under the storm. Each creature within 5 feet of that point must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 16 (3d10) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Screaming Gale (Cost 3 actions). Ecaroth releases a blast of thunder and wind in a line that is 1 mile long and 20 feet wide. Objects in that area take 22 (4d10) thunder damage. Each creature there must succeed on a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw or take 22 (4d10) thunder damage and be flung up to 60 feet in a direction away from the line. If a thrown target collides with an immovable object, such as a wall or floor, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown before impact. If the target would collide with another creature instead, that other creature must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

This is great! Thanks so much.