PDA

View Full Version : question on things like pyromancy

Amdy_vill
2018-10-19, 06:29 AM
so pyromancy is fire, cryomancy is ice, hydromancy is water, geomancy is earth, so what is light, dark, thunder, Psychic, Poison, Lightning, Force, and Acid

aimlessPolymath
2018-10-19, 08:19 AM
Generally, you do this by taking the greek root (ex. Hydro- for water, lumin- for light) off a site like this one
https://www.learnthat.org/pages/view/roots.html
And then stick it together with -mancy.

Baphomet
2018-10-19, 08:59 AM
Oddly, the -mancy ending means something like "speaking to" instead of "controlling" or "moving". If you're someone who moves fire around, I'd say you're doing pyrokinesis rather than pyromancy.

But yeah, I'd guess Photomancy, Umbramancy, Phonomancy, Pathomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Psychomancy, and...I guess Acidomancy, since if Greek doesn't have a word for a thing, we tend to fall back on English.

Amdy_vill
2018-10-19, 09:11 AM
Oddly, the -mancy ending means something like "speaking to" instead of "controlling" or "moving". If you're someone who moves fire around, I'd say you're doing pyrokinesis rather than pyromancy.

But yeah, I'd guess Photomancy, Umbramancy, Phonomancy, Pathomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Psychomancy, and...I guess Acidomancy, since if Greek doesn't have a word for a thing, we tend to fall back on English.

thanks you

FlameUser64
2018-10-19, 10:23 AM
Even though nobody asked, I'll add that the -mancy for air is generally Aeromancy.

Eldan
2018-10-19, 10:53 AM
Acidomancy, since if Greek doesn't have a word for a thing, we tend to fall back on English.

Oxymancy, like in Oxygen? Oxygenes is literally "Maker of Acids" in Greek.

Umbra is Latin, not Greek, I would go with Erebomancy.

Psychic is a bit difficult. Pathos, as suggested above, is "feelings". Psychomancy may in fact be perfectly valid here, as Psyche is a Greek word, meaning both "mind" and "soul". Logomancy might also work, Logos means both "language" and "reason", plus a few other things.

"Force" is extremely hard to translate. Goes back to Latin "fortis", strong. I'd go for Dynamancy, from Dynamis, power. Same root as Dynamic.

So, my suggestion:
Photomancy, Erebomancy, Phonomancy, Psychomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Dynamancy and Oxymancy.

Yes, eight new ways of predicting the future. Because that's what "mancy" means. Necromancy is to summon the spirits of the dead to ask them questions. Geomancy is to throw sand into the air and interpreting details. Pyromancy is to stare into a fire until you have hallucinations. Hydromancy is throwing pebbles into a sacred pool and interpreting the pattern of the waves. Aeromancy is interpresting cloud patterns or bird flight. All real, ancient forms of divination. Well, "real".

What you probably want for "controlling" is "Kinesis", to move.

Amdy_vill
2018-10-19, 11:26 AM
Even though nobody asked, I'll add that the -mancy for air is generally Aeromancy.

thanks it would be great to have more of these

Baphomet
2018-10-19, 12:31 PM
Oxymancy, like in Oxygen? Oxygenes is literally "Maker of Acids" in Greek.

Umbra is Latin, not Greek, I would go with Erebomancy.

Psychic is a bit difficult. Pathos, as suggested above, is "feelings". Psychomancy may in fact be perfectly valid here, as Psyche is a Greek word, meaning both "mind" and "soul". Logomancy might also work, Logos means both "language" and "reason", plus a few other things.

"Force" is extremely hard to translate. Goes back to Latin "fortis", strong. I'd go for Dynamancy, from Dynamis, power. Same root as Dynamic.

So, my suggestion:
Photomancy, Erebomancy, Phonomancy, Psychomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Dynamancy and Oxymancy.

Yes, eight new ways of predicting the future. Because that's what "mancy" means. Necromancy is to summon the spirits of the dead to ask them questions. Geomancy is to throw sand into the air and interpreting details. Pyromancy is to stare into a fire until you have hallucinations. Hydromancy is throwing pebbles into a sacred pool and interpreting the pattern of the waves. Aeromancy is interpresting cloud patterns or bird flight. All real, ancient forms of divination. Well, "real".

What you probably want for "controlling" is "Kinesis", to move.
I stayed away from oxymancy because, though it might be technically correct, it doesn't really convey the intent very well. I think when the average person sees that word, they'll think it must have to do with moving breathable gases around. I think the rest of your suggestions fit better than mine, though. I especially like Dynamancy; the force one was a head-scratcher for me, but I think you nailed it.

Balyano
2018-10-19, 03:15 PM
Caustomancy? Caustic actually means ''burning'' but it might work.

Nightcanon
2018-10-20, 04:45 AM
Vitriol originally referred to sulphates, but has come to mean acid via sulphuric acid (oil of vitriol, which then became shortened to vitriol). It also exists in-game in vitriolic sphere. So perhaps vitriolomancy?

pygmybatrider
2018-10-20, 05:55 AM
Vitriol originally referred to sulphates, but has come to mean acid via sulphuric acid (oil of vitriol, which then became shortened to vitriol). It also exists in-game in vitriolic sphere. So perhaps vitriolomancy?

For a word with so many syllables, vitriolomancer just rolls off the tongue. I like it.

For lightning damage, my pick is pikamancy.