PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Favored Soul: No Wings (repost, 'cause i'm a moron)

petermcleod117
2018-10-26, 11:11 PM
I already posted this, but in the wrong forum, and I was directed here instead. I want a variant of the Favored Soul class that replaces the Wings class feature with something more grounded (no pun intended). I'm going for a charismatic evangelist kind of feel.
for reference, this is for my middle-ages/renaissance setting, and this class would be for the emerging protestant sects.
no religious commentary please. just suggestions on possible class feature replacements.

nonsi
2018-10-27, 02:33 AM
I already posted this, but in the wrong forum, and I was directed here instead. I want a variant of the Favored Soul class that replaces the Wings class feature with something more grounded (no pun intended). I'm going for a charismatic evangelist kind of feel.
for reference, this is for my middle-ages/renaissance setting, and this class would be for the emerging protestant sects.
no religious commentary please. just suggestions on possible class feature replacements.

Not sure what you have in mind, but my overhaul priest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777415&postcount=13) (plus variants) is packed with features. Maybe you'll find something useful in it.

Temotei
2018-10-27, 06:20 AM
Taking a cue from jiriku, you could give them impetuous endurance--you no longer automatically fail saving throws on a 1. Simple and effective enough.

Nifft
2018-10-27, 02:35 PM

You could use the Spontaneous Divine Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) instead of the Favored Soul -- it's generally stronger, and it's got no wings.

In terms of adapting a D&D class to monotheism: you might use Saints or Archangels as a replacement for separate gods. For example: an apostle blessed by Saint Gygax might have access to the Law, Luck, and Trickery domains.

Maat Mons
2018-10-27, 09:48 PM
You could also use the Mystic class from Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Relative to the Favored Soul, it has the advantages of using only one ability score (wisdom) for casting, and of gaining a domain. However, it has the disadvantages of knowing (slightly) fewer spells, and of not having any class features.