PDA

View Full Version : I... um... buh... *wha?*

Rachel Lorelei
2007-09-18, 08:55 PM
Okay, open your Tome of Magic book or PDF open to p.86.

What on earth?!

Neon Knight
2007-09-18, 08:56 PM
I am morbidly curious, but do not own the book in question. Pray tell, what evokes such a response?

Dhavaer
2007-09-18, 08:57 PM
The roving mauler? It's not that weird.

Tyger
2007-09-18, 08:58 PM
The Roving Maurauder? No weirder looking than a dozen or more critters from the game.

Emperor Tippy
2007-09-18, 08:59 PM
That just looks wrong. It's not overpowered for its CR but wth is with that pic?

I mean a lion with a bunch of arms?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 08:59 PM
Are we talking about the Karsites as PCs or the Roving Mauler.

If it's the latter: Yeah, they're supposed to look like the vestige Buer (p. 26) but entirely leonine (i.e. minus the hag and satyre elements).

I am morbidly curious, but do not own the book in question. Pray tell, what evokes such a response?
The roving mauler is a monster consisting on five lion's legs sticking out from it's heads' in perfectly radial symmetry—like a five pointed star. It has one lion head/face on each side of its body. It moves by rolling around on it's five paws.

Here's a picture of it from one side. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToMagic_Gallery/96075.jpg)

Rachel Lorelei
2007-09-18, 09:00 PM
It... it's a LION LEG WHEEL WITH A FACE ON EITHER SIDE!

*twitch*

Dhavaer
2007-09-18, 09:01 PM
The Gibbering Mouther is pretty similar, although it's on its side, rather than wheel-like.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 09:04 PM
Oh come on, like the Bear Made of Teeth on the next page is any better.

Man, the Binder monsters are fricken' weird.

13_CBS
2007-09-18, 09:04 PM
Should I be a little worried that a picture like that doesn't disturb me at all?

Mewtarthio
2007-09-18, 09:05 PM
Somehow, this is so much more funny to me since I've never read the book in question.

TheOOB
2007-09-18, 09:07 PM
It's differently interesting, but I've been around the internet too many times for it to be too shocking.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 09:08 PM
Tell me about. I mean—crows? What were they thinking?

:wink:

Bassetking
2007-09-18, 09:11 PM
It's a Roving Mauler.

...Look, A wizard did it, ok? We REALLY don't have a better explanation for this one.

Zeful
2007-09-18, 09:16 PM
It's not that bad, I mean some of the vesiges are worse, Eurynome for example or the dude with a million faces, Dantillon. You expect monsters modeled after creatures/people/beings that no longer resmble the races they once were to be sane!
I think you have somewhat inflated expectations.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-18, 09:21 PM
I'd totally get pwned by that thing. Not because it looks particularly powerful, but simply because I'd have to keep disbelieving it... and even if I didn't disbelieve it, I'd ignore it because I'd be so sure that it can't exist.

Darth Mario
2007-09-18, 09:37 PM
...Look, A wizard did it, ok? We REALLY don't have a better explanation for this one.

More like "A vestige did it, and somehow slipped it past Obad-Hai," but yeah.

Icewalker
2007-09-18, 09:56 PM
Yeah, that sucker is funky. Castlevania has had it as an enemy.

hehe, wheel lion.

Miles Invictus
2007-09-18, 10:12 PM
You know what this means, right? Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a wizard. This wizard sat down one day and said "Man, lions are awesome. They're strong, smart, fast and resilient. I wish there was some way I could make them even better." And then this wizard looked down and saw a starfish.

The wizard had an idea.
The wizard had an awful idea.
The wizard had a wonderful, awful idea.

tannish2
2007-09-18, 10:13 PM
It's a Roving Mauler.

WRONG! HA! it was a binder. and they actually have excuses for doing this type of wacky crap.

horseboy
2007-09-18, 10:20 PM
My first reaction was "is that a Nova Cat symbol", then I realized those legs were legs and not star points. Then I cackled maniacally.

Bassetking
2007-09-18, 11:18 PM
WRONG! HA! it was a binder. and they actually have excuses for doing this type of wacky crap.

They have Explanations.

They CERTAINLY do not have excuses.

TheOOB
2007-09-18, 11:21 PM
They have Explanations.

They CERTAINLY do not have excuses.

Sure they have excuses. "Because it's Tuesday" is an excuse, it's not a good one, but it is an excuse.

John Campbell
2007-09-19, 12:41 AM
I have a sudden urge to prep mage hand and go roving-mauler-tipping.

daggaz
2007-09-19, 01:26 AM
I... um... buh... HOW DOES IT POOP!!!?!????!

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-19, 01:38 AM
The mind boggles at the thought.

Attilargh
2007-09-19, 01:42 AM
The same way as Beholders, most likely.

Sure, Binders are cool, but I wish the vestiges weren't described as something from an acid trip.

Kyle
2007-09-19, 01:58 AM
So this is a creature which could easily be defeated by using a standard ten foot pole to push it over?

And while I could easily believe some horrible amoral mage could create such an abomination--except in any world I'm running though, where such an individual would immeadietly be set upon by a group of high level druids who would then beat this Mengal of Magic into submission--I'm curious as to how such a thing could continue to exist.

Despite the fact that I stand by my observation regarding the ten foot pole, it obviously it must have a superb sense of equalibrium, which is no doubt helpful in a wide variety of situations. However, being feline in origin, it's likely a carnivore of some sort, but I fail to see how it could actually hunt down any prey, regardless of how fast it may be, seeing as it's field of vision is oriented towards it's sides as opposed to whatever direction it's actually moving in. Further, once it actually manages to find something it's able to catch--no doubt a creature even more stupid than it's own design--we're confronted with the problem of it likely not being able to bring it's teeth into play without tipping over. To say nothing of the obvious difficulty such a being would have with propagation.

No, this sad crime against science and god--of course I'm refering to whatever god it is funneling nature magics into my high level druid curb stomp crews--has a life span best measured in hours, after which the sweet embrace of death releases it from it's horrid suffering which defines it's existance.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-19, 02:04 AM
So this is a creature which could easily be defeated by using a standard ten foot pole to push it over?

And while I could easily believe some horrible amoral mage could create such an abomination--except in any world I'm running though, where such an individual would immeadietly be set upon by a group of high level druids who would then beat this Mengal of Magic into submission--I'm curious as to how such a thing could continue to exist.

Despite the fact that I stand by my observation regarding the ten foot pole, it obviously it must have a superb sense of equalibrium, which is no doubt helpful in a wide variety of situations. However, being feline in origin, it's likely a carnivore of some sort, but I fail to see how it could actually hunt down any prey, regardless of how fast it may be, seeing as it's field of vision is oriented towards it's sides as opposed to whatever direction it's actually moving in. Further, once it actually manages to find something it's able to catch--no doubt a creature even more stupid than it's own design--we're confronted with the problem of it likely not being able to bring it's teeth into play without tipping over. To say nothing of the obvious difficulty such a being would have with propagation.

No, this sad crime against science and god--of course I'm refering to whatever god it is funneling nature magics into my high level druid curb stomp crews--has a life span best measured in hours, after which the sweet embrace of death releases it from it's horrid suffering which defines it's existance.

I don't know... it looks oddly cute to me.

I kind of want one.

I could hitch two of them together to make the DnD world's coolest bicycle.

daggaz
2007-09-19, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=Attilargh;3214769]The same way as Beholders, most likely.

QUOTE]

No, beholders have no problem with this, they have a brown eye hidden somewhere on their backside (or underside for the more symmetric ones). At least according to my group..

"Of all the eyes of a beholder, the worst one is the brown eye. You do not want to get hit by the brown eye." ~Khelban Blackstaff, Archwizard of the Emeral Isles.

Attilargh
2007-09-19, 04:54 AM
Your group has got it wrong. Haven't you ever wondered why Beholders drool?

Yeah, Lord of Madness is precisely what it says on the cover.

McMindflayer
2007-09-19, 04:55 AM
I would have to guess that the legs could rotate or bend in such a way that if it were tipped over. it could still stay standing. Also, this would allow it to lean over.

Also, For your "Eyes" problem. Look at a Hammer Head Shark. the eyes are on the side of the head, looking left and right, but the mouth is in the center, and yet that species hasn't died off yet.

Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"

What must also spring to mind in looking at this beast is the fact that you have two faces, does it also have two brains? Is it like the Ettin or Chimera, or does it have a central brain wired to cotnrol two faces at the same time? I wonder if that's like operating your hands... making the left rub your tummy while the right pats you on the head would be like eating and breathing at the same time for that beast... interesting.

Anyway, What really brings me to wonder is the bone system, and how everything inside is set up. I'm going to have to guess it's an abberation and cannot be snuck up on (due to two sets of eyes.) Thus can't be crit'd against or sneak attacked. So already it has something good going for it.

Dungeons and Dragons creatores come up with the most fascinating creatures, what.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-19, 05:30 AM
That was really lame. Not to mention stupid. It's like they made a "sphinx-like creature table" and rolled the dice for the monsters they were making. And the value "16" meant "add a lion's leg, and they kept rolling that.

Zim
2007-09-19, 07:47 AM
That is a heraldic charge pretending to be a monster. They must have really been reaching for content that day.

PS I have no idea how it poops. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-19, 07:53 AM
Sure they have excuses. "Because it's Tuesday" is an excuse, it's not a good one, but it is an excuse.
That's a whim. Not an excuse.

I'm pretty certain the legs aren't rigid. Plus, to help with that kind of thing, they can probably rotate all manner of directions to help lift themselves up.

However, being feline in origin, it's likely a carnivore of some sort, but I fail to see how it could actually hunt down any prey, regardless of how fast it may be, seeing as it's field of vision is oriented towards it's sides as opposed to whatever direction it's actually moving in.
1.) Same goes for most birds, including many raptors.
2.) It must have extremely wide-angle vision, because it has the All-Around Vision extraordinary ability.

Hey, it's a Magical Beast. It can have anything it wants.

Further, once it actually manages to find something it's able to catch--no doubt a creature even more stupid than it's own design--we're confronted with the problem of it likely not being able to bring it's teeth into play without tipping over. To say nothing of the obvious difficulty such a being would have with propagation.
Once again, legs aren't rigid. They're useful for keeping things stable. The entry says they like big prey, so I'm sure they can even use their paws to keep them leaning up against their prey's body. Or something like that.

Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
That's what makes it a Magical Beast.

That was really lame. Not to mention stupid. It's like they made a "sphinx-like creature table" and rolled the dice for the monsters they were making. And the value "16" meant "add a lion's leg, and they kept rolling that.
The goal was to make something particularly bizarre. Unfortunately, nine times out of ten, the bizarre becomes lame and stupid once you think about it for more than two minutes.

But in many ways, it's still bizarre.

Dubie
2007-09-19, 09:00 AM
PS I have no idea how it poops. :smallsmile:

In one mouth, out the other?

Zim
2007-09-19, 10:10 AM
It probably already has kitty bad breath, don't make it worse! :smallwink:

waynethegame
2007-09-19, 10:20 AM
It's weird, yes. It's also a pretty straight ripoff of the real-life demon "Buer": http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/85/250px-Buer.gif

Most of the vestige names in ToM are quite literally taken from real-world demons.

The_Werebear
2007-09-19, 10:27 AM

This is Madness!!

How the hell does this thing have a 20 foot climb speed and +8 to climb? It's a gorram Leg wheel!

Morty
2007-09-19, 10:30 AM
This is Madness!!

Madness?
This is the Roving Mauler!
(Didn't watch 300, but I couldn't resist)

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-19, 11:04 AM
I'm NOT gonna rip off a line from 300.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-19, 11:42 AM
It's weird, yes. It's also a pretty straight ripoff of the real-life demon "Buer": http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/85/250px-Buer.gif

Most of the vestige names in ToM are quite literally taken from real-world demons.

Precisely. Each of the monsters in that chapter is tied to a particular vestige. The Tooth Beasts are associated with Dahlver-Nar, the Deadly Dancers with Paimon, the Horned Beasts with Amon, and the Roving Mauler is representative of Buer, who's picture is on page 6 in the same picture as Dantallion and Ipos. The picture is almost identical to the one of the demon you've posted, clearly showing WotC's inspiration for the whole thing.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-19, 12:05 PM
Wizards didn't make these Roving Marauders. It was those nasty binders and their Vestige abominations, that's who!

Wizards make other abominations. Things like ... Owlbears or Eaglejackals or Parakeetbeagles.

Roderick_BR
2007-09-19, 12:12 PM
It... it's a LION LEG WHEEL WITH A FACE ON EITHER SIDE!

*twitch*

I've seen some like that on some Castlevania games.

John Campbell
2007-09-19, 12:33 PM
Heh, I just realized...

As silly as it looks now, imagine how much sillier it looks halfway through its roll, when its heads are on upside-down.

When it's moving, it's not only looking the wrong direction, but its POV gets flipped completely over every few meters. How does it not get dizzy?

Maybe that's the answer to the other question. It doesn't poop; it just makes itself so dizzy that it pukes.

Machete
2007-09-19, 12:36 PM
I want to mount four of these on my car. They see me rollin, they hatin.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-19, 12:57 PM
I want to mount four of these on my car. They see me rollin, they hatin.

Tryin' to catch you ridin' insanity?

Bassetking
2007-09-19, 01:10 PM
Tryin' to catch you ridin' insanity?

Obviously not.

They're trying to catch him "Ridin' Furby"

Tormsskull
2007-09-19, 01:16 PM
I give this thread a rating of 3 laughs, as I laughed precisely three times.

And yeah, this creature is quite stupid.

kjones
2007-09-19, 01:28 PM
Look, it still makes as much sense as an owlbear, ok?

chionophile
2007-09-19, 01:29 PM
Heh, I just realized...

As silly as it looks now, imagine how much sillier it looks halfway through its roll, when its heads are on upside-down.

When it's moving, it's not only looking the wrong direction, but its POV gets flipped completely over every few meters. How does it not get dizzy?

Maybe that's the answer to the other question. It doesn't poop; it just makes itself so dizzy that it pukes.

That's easily solved with an axle in the center of the wheel. Maybe even make it with some ball joints so it can rotate its heads any way it wants.

horseboy
2007-09-19, 01:51 PM
Look, it still makes as much sense as an owlbear, ok?
Owlbears may look strange, but at least they can poop.

2007-09-19, 01:59 PM

Winner. Total winner.

Zim
2007-09-19, 02:04 PM

No, this is D&D. Nobody poops! They don't sleep, either. :smallwink:

Morty
2007-09-19, 02:19 PM
They don't sleep, either. :smallwink:

Unless they're wizards, in which case they sleep 13 hours per day.

Kagan
2007-09-19, 02:31 PM
Any ideas on how to turn this into a template of sorts? I think I'm going to have to conjure up an encounter with a variety of random... mauling... things.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-19, 04:31 PM
Wow. Didn't know that.

Or forgotten D&D figures. Acererack, for instance is the Lich that built the Tomb of Horrors. Dragon magazine provided stats for a vestige of Kas the Betrayer—the very fellow that cut off Vecna's hand and eye.

I've never read through the adventure "Bastion of Souls," but from what I've read, I gather the vestige presented in Dragon Magic was taken from a character appearing in that adventure.

And so on...

Winged One
2007-09-19, 06:01 PM
For those who are saying who did it, it was obviously an Anima Mage.

Also, if my binder character ever sees one of these things, he's going to contact Buer for the sole purpose of screaming "WTF?!!!??!?!"

martyboy74
2007-09-19, 06:03 PM
Or forgotten D&D figures. Acererack, for instance is the Lich that built the Tomb of Horrors. Dragon magazine provided stats for a vestige of Kas the Betrayer—the very fellow that cut off Vecna's hand and eye.

Acerak and Kas are considered forgotten? When did that happen?

RandomNPC
2007-09-19, 06:27 PM

can i siggy that?

i plan on shouting it at random times....

and uh..... YAR! just because its the 19th.

Dhavaer
2007-09-19, 06:31 PM
Wizards make other abominations. Things like ... Owlbears or Eaglejackals or Parakeetbeagles.

Parakeetbeagles sound delicious.

horseboy
2007-09-19, 07:21 PM
can i siggy that?

i plan on shouting it at random times....

and uh..... YAR! just because its the 19th.

Ahoy! The Quartermaster be no stingy. Plunder away, matie!

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-19, 07:41 PM
Acerak and Kas are considered forgotten? When did that happen?
Forgotten in a figurative sense. They were no longer actively mentioned and brought up characters. 'Cept maybe as a passing mention once or twice.

Oh, yeah—Primus also got the vestige treatment in the same issue of Dragon as Kas.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-09-20, 10:40 AM
Parakeetbeagles sound delicious.

Actually ... The common name for Parakeet about the world is "Budgie" which is short for "Budgerigar". The word "Budgerigar" comes from an Australian Aboriginal word meaning "Good eating".

Thus, it stands to reason that the Parakeetbeagle is in fact, delicious.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-20, 11:09 AM
The same way as Beholders, most likely.

Sure, Binders are cool, but I wish the vestiges weren't described as something from an acid trip.

How could they be described as anything but an acid trip?

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-20, 11:11 AM
I... um... buh... HOW DOES IT POOP!!!?!????!

Gravity fed poop holes between the legs.

The_Werebear
2007-09-20, 11:24 AM
Gravity fed poop holes between the legs.

...So that means while it is rolling... with the forces and momentum involved...

It needs to have a fling poo attack?

Ranis
2007-09-20, 11:37 AM
...So that means while it is rolling... with the forces and momentum involved...

It needs to have a fling poo attack?

I call upon the awesomeness that is the Vorpal Tribble to make this happen.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-20, 12:10 PM
So, when you encounter this thing you must first make a WILL save vs. confusion, trying to figure out how it poops. Then when it does poop, you have to make a FORT save vs. nauseated.

Drider
2007-10-01, 08:22 PM
horseboy

My sister says, "Maybe, it vomits its waste out of one head. It does have one head on each side. One would be an "in" head, the other would be the "out" head"

Siberys
2007-10-04, 08:18 PM
first, on the pooping.

Where does human crap come out? between the legs.

I'm sure that roving maulers have one 'down' side, where the excrement leaves.

Second, on getting dizzy; Maybe instead of those tubes in your ears that help you balance, it's got some other way to do it. Like a magical sense or something NOT messed up by it's constant spinning. Also, It's likely very flexible.

kemmotar
2007-10-04, 10:41 PM
I just think it's some binder that didn't have anything to do one day and animated his chariot wheels...

If you solved how it poops...think about how it procreates...talk about rolling down the avenue of love trying to get on top of each other:smalltongue:

Chronos
2007-10-04, 11:25 PM
As silly as it looks now, imagine how much sillier it looks halfway through its roll, when its heads are on upside-down.No, no, the two heads face opposite ways. So when one's upside-down, the other is right side up.

And "budgeribeagle" has a much better ring to it than "parakeetbeagle".

horseboy
2007-10-05, 12:09 AM
If you solved how it poops...think about how it procreates...talk about rolling down the avenue of love trying to get on top of each other:smalltongue:

That could give Burning Ring of Fire a whole new meaning. :smalleek:

hewhosaysfish
2007-10-05, 07:41 AM
Obviously they have an extradimensional colon and poop into the Ethereal Plane via an orifice at the centre of their body rather than one on the outside. Casting Dimensional Anchor or AMF on them causes great discomfort; repeated castings can lead to injury and death. Also druids hunt them down wherever they are found because they remove vital nutrients from the Material ecosystems.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 01:52 PM
Ethereal garbage disposal authorities must be really pissed with them then...can you imagine walking around in the ethereal plane like a good ghost(or whatever) and an ethereal colon walking around relieving bladder wherever it finds...Then lvl 1 ethereal adventurers can get quests to "kill" the floating poop colons walking around in the park(presumable a roving mauler nest in the material plane:smalleek: )

Where would they sleep?standing, on the side(on of the faces?????nahhh) or rolling around all the time(pretty much like horses sleep standing)...

Gungnir
2007-12-26, 02:20 PM
This reminds me of a tall tale some guy told my class in like 3rd grade. I'll try and summarize, the whole thing was pretty long.

1. Man has a really fast dog.
2. It takes 3 people to see said dog: One to see him coming, one to see him get there, and another to watch him go.
3. Man enters dog into a fox hunt. Fox is particularly smart, and runs past a scythe someone left in a field, which for some reason has the blade stuck in the air.
4. Dog gets Cleaved by running through said scythe.
5. Man takes both sides of the dog and sows them back together, but is in a hurry because the rest of the dogs are catching up.
6. Turns out he sows the pieces wrong; one is upside down, so the legs stick out his back. Somehow the dog is still alive, and it runs even faster because whenever one pair of legs gets tired, it flips over to the other side.

All I could think of for like 3 hours was how weird and scary that poor dog must have been.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-26, 02:24 PM
Holy Unimpressive Thread Necromancy, Batman Wizard!

Admiral Squish
2007-12-26, 02:29 PM
Um... Where does the food go? It eats, it has a mouth, but it's faces are one next to the other. There's no room for a stomach. I mean, it's probably using the same brain for both faces, they're so close. No room for a stomach at all.

Treguard
2007-12-26, 02:43 PM

binder: "So, like, one of the pacts I made was with this, like, guy, a-and he's like totally covered in teeth. Just teeth and gums, man, no serious, and w-when I summoned him, I started growing teeth out from under my scalp man!"

wizard: "Remind me.. why do we hang out again?"

Randel
2007-12-26, 07:04 PM
As for how it procreates, it's probably a hermaphrodite or something. One half is better than the other.

Though what would happen if this thing rolled over a square full of caltrops? I mean, can it limp around by hopping on two feet? Does it try to bend its legs in such a way that the injured paws never touch the ground when its rolling or something?

And if you hit it with a flask of alchemists fire, how would it put out its burning mane? Or if it ran though a grease spell? Can it swim?

Treguard
2007-12-26, 07:21 PM
Could you convince one to act as a breakfast table? It'd be great because after you're done then you can feed it the remains. :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-12-26, 07:28 PM
Ethereal garbage disposal authorities must be really pissed with them then...can you imagine walking around in the ethereal plane like a good ghost(or whatever) and an ethereal colon walking around relieving bladder wherever it finds...Then lvl 1 ethereal adventurers can get quests to "kill" the floating poop colons walking around in the park(presumable a roving mauler nest in the material plane:smalleek: )

Someone absolutely has to stat this out as the other end of a Bag of Devouring.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-12-26, 09:20 PM
I'm loving the jester on p23 myself. That guy rawks.

littlechicory
2007-12-26, 09:25 PM

Sigg'd. o_o"

Huduvudu
2007-12-26, 09:48 PM
I can see this evolving into a Cirque Du Soliel skit, no?

Deepblue706
2007-12-27, 04:44 PM
The Gibbering Mouther is pretty similar, although it's on its side, rather than wheel-like.

The Gibbering Mouther is also a badass monster that looks like something evil, from realms beyond.

This freak looks like some drug-inspired piece-of-crap that was thrown in because someone lost a bet.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-27, 04:47 PM
This freak looks like some drug-inspired piece-of-crap that was thrown in because someone lost a bet.

Oh, right, like the giant vampire frog (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/d&d%20giant%20vampire%20frog.jpg) is any better.

Heliomance
2007-12-27, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure what lol rating to give this thread. I only laughed once, but it was one unbroken laugh from near the top of the second page.

Danzaver
2007-12-28, 09:30 AM
I agree with the OP - dnd monster designers have gotten LAY-ZEE.

Seriously, they just stick a bunch of animals together and call it a day's work.

Or, they take an amorphous blob and add spikes/thorns/horns/blades

Or, they get some emo kid to draw something that's "really fully like, dark" and give it stats.

Have they ever stopped to wonder how these things evolved/why they mutated like they did/for what purpose they were created/how they continue to exist?

I preferred it when they were ripping off international folklore and well-known sci-fi and fantasy series.

I sound like an old jaded roleplayer, oh well, chances are I actually was roleplaying when many people on this board weren't born yet. I have a right to be grumpy dammit!

FlyMolo
2007-12-28, 04:11 PM
I think the two heads are just connected. So If you stick your arm in one side, it comes out the other. If both heads yawned at once, you could see right through it.

Tokiko Mima
2007-12-28, 05:47 PM
I'm thinking it's like one of those animals that eats only very rarely, and processes it's food so throughly that it doesn't need to excrete. Like bears while they are hibernating, maybe the Roving Mauler transforms the nitrogen directly into muscle tissue? :smalltongue:

Ne0
2007-12-28, 05:55 PM
Don't laugh with the poor things! It takes just one breeze of wind, and they're all extinct! :smallbiggrin:

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 06:33 PM
Oh come on, like the Bear Made of Teeth on the next page is any better.

What exactly are binders?
Also, request a link for the teethbear!

Fax Celestis
2007-12-28, 06:36 PM
What exactly are binders?
Also, request a link for the teethbear!
Ask and ye shall receive.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToMagic_Gallery/96076.jpg

Binders are a class from Tome of Magic.

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 06:39 PM

I'm buying Tome of Magic!

Treguard
2007-12-28, 06:45 PM
If they've given it teeth for eyes, why bother leaving it with a nose?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-28, 06:45 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-begging-cat.jpg

Hasivel
2007-12-28, 06:47 PM
Binders are a base class in Tome of Magic. Their magic works by basically summoning a powerful spirit somewhere between Mortal and god level and binding it inside their own body. They can do this once a day and gain an assortment of powers from the vestige. Each Vestige also gives you some strange deformity based on the vestige although you can sometimes suppress that with a good roll.

They're a remarkably well balanced example of a full-caster like character. Extremely flexible in what they can do without going overboard and destroying the game. For instance Geryon causes you to grow two extra eyes on your head. In exchange you get to shoot acid out of those eyes, get all around vision, you may see in any darkness including the really magical kinds that normal darkvision fails in, and can cast swift fly on yourself once every five rounds.

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 06:50 PM
If they've given it teeth for eyes, why bother leaving it with a nose?

Where else is it gonna poop from? Geez... :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-12-28, 07:02 PM
Binders are a base class in Tome of Magic. Their magic works by basically summoning a powerful spirit somewhere between Mortal and god level and binding it inside their own body. They can do this once a day and gain an assortment of powers from the vestige. Each Vestige also gives you some strange deformity based on the vestige although you can sometimes suppress that with a good roll.

They're a remarkably well balanced example of a full-caster like character. Extremely flexible in what they can do without going overboard and destroying the game. For instance Geryon causes you to grow two extra eyes on your head. In exchange you get to shoot acid out of those eyes, get all around vision, you may see in any darkness including the really magical kinds that normal darkvision fails in, and can cast swift fly on yourself once every five rounds.

Bolded statement is false. They can do it whenever they like.

Hasivel
2007-12-28, 07:28 PM
Bolded statement is false. They can do it whenever they like.
It's true you can bind a vestige whenever you want, but once you bind a vestige it's with you for the next 24 hours and until you reach the higher levels where multiple bindings happen you can only have one bound at a time. Without either special equipment or feats you can only bind a vestige once a day.

Treguard
2007-12-28, 08:27 PM
Where else is it gonna poop from? Geez... :smallbiggrin:

Much like the Roving Mauler, I don't really want to consider how the thing reproduces.. :smalleek:

Grinding teeth, lawl

Fax Celestis
2007-12-28, 08:40 PM
It's true you can bind a vestige whenever you want, but once you bind a vestige it's with you for the next 24 hours and until you reach the higher levels where multiple bindings happen you can only have one bound at a time. Without either special equipment or feats you can only bind a vestige once a day.

Oooor use the Expel Vestige feat, which is the Adaptive Style feat for Binders.

Tokiko Mima
2007-12-29, 03:22 AM

True, but not quite as nice. You can only expel a Vestige with the Feat once per day, sadly. :smallfrown:

Cuddly
2007-12-29, 05:14 AM
Man, that's some grotesque imagery. Rolling around, flinging poop? Yuck.

Deepblue706
2007-12-29, 01:40 PM
Oh, right, like the giant vampire frog (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/d&d%20giant%20vampire%20frog.jpg) is any better.

Are you kidding me? That's easily my favorite monster!!

Fax Celestis
2007-12-29, 01:42 PM
Are you kidding me? That's easily my favorite monster!!

Sarcasm...detector...overload...warning...self-destruct imminent.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-29, 01:47 PM
Bolded for reason...

Fax....um...Hasivel said that..

oh well...the monsters there were a bit odd...but I liked the ToM

Darkantra
2007-12-29, 02:03 PM
Binders are a lot of fun to play, but are routinely persecuted and hunted down by the religions of D&D. Most Binder players would have to keep it a secret from their fellows and be making constant bluff checks for fear of being burned at the stake.

"Don't worry guys, I'll levitate the grappling hook into position... What? Well yes, I said that I was a half-dragon, half-satir human yesterday but I lied. I'm really trained as an expert monk with mysterious powers of the mind... OooOooOooO!"

Even the most clever player runs out of excuses after a while.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-29, 02:18 PM
I really really enjoyed the times i've played a binder, but then again i've only made 2 of them and both where in groups with peaple I enjoy RPing with. Never was hunted (we droped alot of the fluff to make it fit in with that we needed) and I loved my Spellscale Binder..but the monsters in that book are still really odd...fun tho..but odd..