PDA

View Full Version : Best Support spells for Magical Secrets

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-01, 06:38 PM
Hello again peoples,

In one of the current games that I am playing I have a lore bard who functions as the party booster/healer. I use the Enhance Ability spell a lot. I also have the Healer and Inspiring Leader feats. We are about to hit level 6 in our game and I was wondering what spells I would like to take for magical secrets. I am already planning on grabbing haste to augment our moon druid, but need help with the second pick. I was thinking of maybe taking Aid but am really not sure overall. What our your guys's suggestions?

Galithar
2018-11-01, 06:50 PM
Counterspell is always a good choice.
I also like Aura of Vitality for the trickle heal, but it's not the most effective use of your action so it depends on your level of optimization especially since it competes for your concentration.
More of a control spell, but spirit Guardians is also good.
Healing Spirit if you need the big out of combat heals, but depending on if your DM limits it (as many do) it may just be an altered Aura of Vitality in practice, though one that can be upcast.

Aaron Underhand
2018-11-01, 07:55 PM
I'd second counterspell.

Haste is great on a rogue - can enable two lots of sneak attack damage a round. However I would caution against concentration spells - you'll have a lot of competition for your concentration. It's also better on a sorcerer who has twin...

Depending upon party composition you might like to consider some non-concentration spells - like spiritual weapon for bonus action attack, nondetection, or mirror image. Or you could go for out of combat spells like Pass without Trace.

Dudewithknives
2018-11-01, 07:59 PM
Counterspell
Haste
Hunger of Hadar(great if you are not actually a warlock)
Spirit Guardians
Healing spirit maybe

Any great paladin or ranger level 5 spell

Galithar
2018-11-01, 10:57 PM
I second the notion of spiritual weapon being good. Unless you have a good consistent use of your bonus action it's a great trick to have in your pocket.

And while I volunteered a lot of concentration spells it may be prudent to find a nonconcentration spell if your concentration is already highly called upon. Adding more options when you can only use one at a time isn't nearly as good as adding an option you can use whenever needed without having to deactivate the last thing you used.

stoutstien
2018-11-01, 11:51 PM
Any pally spell with the word aura in it is worth a look. Circle of power is an auto pick If you plan to protect from 90% of things that make players groan.

holywhippet
2018-11-02, 04:20 AM
One important question is will your DM let you get hold of one or more rings of spell storing? If so, then concentration spells like haste become a lot less competitive as you can just drop one in the ring of your ally and let them worry about concentration.

tieren
2018-11-02, 06:15 AM
Aid isn't a bad choice. It's not temporary hp, so will stack with inspiring leader, affects multiple character, isn't concentration, and lasts a long time.