PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crazy Uber Ninja Idea

wulfgar
2018-11-05, 02:08 PM
Hello Friends,

I finally registered for this forum after reading it for a while and wanted to get your opinions on something to see if I'm thinking correctly. I'm about 3 months into playing D&D and I'm loving it but am certainly no master. Can you see if this passes all checks? I'm thinking no but if it does...

Class/Level
Monk/14 - Way of the Shadow
Ranger/3 - Gloom Stalker
Rogue/3 - Assassin

Assuming my character is stealthed and can surprise attack an enemy, is this a legitimate first turn?

Attack Action

First Attack

Unarmed Strike w/Martial Arts = 1d8 +5

Dread Ambusher (Gloom Stalker) = 1d8+5, 1d8. At the start of your first turn of each combat, your walking speed increases by 10 feet, which lasts until the end of that turn. If you take the Attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action. If that attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type.

Sneak Attack = 2d6
Second Attack

Bonus Action

Flurry of Blows = 1d8 +5, 1d8 +5. Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.

This doesn't include extra damage from Hunter's Mark = 1d6 for every hit. Also, an Assassin receives advantage on every attack while victim is surprised. Every hit = critical hit.

So what do you all think? Is this possible? I think some of it depends on the DM but wondered if this even seemed real.

Thanks everyone!

Tiadoppler
2018-11-05, 02:23 PM
Assuming my character is stealthed and can surprise attack an enemy, is this a legitimate first turn?

Attack Action

First Attack

Dread Ambusher (Gloom Stalker) = 1d8+5, 1d8. At the start of your first turn of each combat, your walking speed increases by 10 feet, which lasts until the end of that turn. If you take the Attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action. If that attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type.

Sneak Attack = 2d6
Second Attack

Bonus Action

Flurry of Blows = 1d8 +5, 1d8 +5. Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.

This doesn't include extra damage from Hunter's Mark = 1d6 for every hit. Also, an Assassin receives advantage on every attack while victim is surprised. Every hit = critical hit.

I'm away from my books at the moment, so I'm not sure if the combo works, but it seems pretty well balanced with other classes.

Hunter's Mark is a bonus action, so is Flurry of Blows, so you'd have to pick which one you use on your surprise round.

Your build (melee) without Hunter's Mark 2 x (2d6+5d8) + 25 = 4d6+10d8+25 = 84 expected damage (auto crit)

Your build (melee) with Hunter's Mark instead of Flurry 2 x (2d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 + 3d8) + 15 = 10d6+6d8+15 = 77 expected damage (auto crit)

Your build (melee) assuming the target already has Hunter's Mark applied (from a previous encounter): 2 x (2d6+5d6+5d8) + 25 = 14d6+10d8+25 = 119 expected damage (auto crit)

Standard level 20 Assassin Rogue with shortbow. 22d6+5 = 83 expected damage (auto crit), but a good chance of doubling that damage from the assassin feature (level 17, iirc) = 166 damage

Theron_the_slim
2018-11-05, 02:32 PM
Following RAW, you should be getting the Sneak attack, since it has to be with a Finesse or a ranged weapon
Your unarmed strike uses Dex, but hasnīt the finesse tag. (You still could use a Monk Weapon with Finesse like a dagger, it would get the d8 as monk weapon)

Fable Wright
2018-11-05, 02:34 PM
Totally works, but the usual trick is Battlemaster 11 for three greatsword attacks, plus Gloomstalker, and double that with Action Surge for a total of 8 greatsword attacks with Hunters Mark turn 1.

48d6+4d8+40 damage with auto crit and no Sneak Attack and Hunter's Mark, for average of 226 damage. Plus Battlemaster dice.

clash
2018-11-05, 02:36 PM
First by raw you can't sneak attack with unarmed strikes even with monk but most dm will allow it so run that by your dm.

Second don't expect to get surprise as it is very much dm dependent instead just do your happy dance if you ever do.

That being said this build is still very potent using finesse monk weapons and lots of fun without surprise. Enjoy

LordNibbler
2018-11-05, 04:29 PM
Short swords work as both a monk weapon and a rogue finesse weapon.