PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Automatic Metamagic (feat)

rferries
2018-11-06, 08:22 PM
Inspired by the various epic feats and the circlet of rapid casting.

Automatic Metamagic [Metamagic]
Your lesser spells are easily modified.

Prerequisites
Caster level 9th.

Benefits
Whenever you apply a [Metamagic] feat to a spell of 2nd level or lower, do not apply a metamagic adjustment to that spell's level.

You may only apply one [Metamagic] feat at a time to a spell you enhance in this way.

Special
A wizard may select Automatic Metamagic as one of her bonus wizard feats.

The benefits of this feat do not apply to spells enhanced with Heighten Spell.

ShedShadow
2018-11-07, 02:45 AM
I like in what direction you are thinking, but as it currently is it is slightly OP. Imaginane picking this up as my 1st level feat along with maximize as a human bonus feat or perhaps twin spell, and you basically maximize or twin all your spells for the first four levels of your wizarding existence. When posed with that, who would try and cast a fireball when you can just go for a maximized scorching ray wich does 4d6 (24) and shoots two rays for a total of 48 damage at level 4, or just shoot 4 rays of 4d6 each? To make it even more insane, try irresistable spell with command undead and go find a lich :) (that only works if you win initiative and the lich doesn't know you are coming)

I like the idea of automatic metamagic, but feel it should either scale (like spell level auto meta'd is CL/5) or come online rather later. Good thinking though!

nonsi
2018-11-07, 04:02 AM

Try this:

Automatic Metamagic
Requirements: 8th CL, any 2 metamagic feats
Benefit: You can apply (a) metamagic feat(s) that you know to a spell you are about to cast. This does not alter the level of the spell or its casting time.
You can use this feat once per day at 8th level and one additional time per day for every 3 CLs you possess beyond 8th. Any time you use this feat to apply metamagic that increases the spell level by more than 1, you must spend an additional daily use for each level above 1 that the metamagic adds to the spell.
Alternatively, you can reduce (on-the-fly) the SL modifier of any metamagic applied to a spell.
Special: This feat is not restricted to the class that has served as prerequisite. If you're a multiclassed spellcaster, you may apply this feat to spells from other classes.

Basically, what this does is replace all the Sudden ______ metamagic feats (and much more) without being broken.

rferries
2018-11-08, 04:01 AM
Good points, both of you. I've increased the prereqs of my feat, and Nonsi your version looks great!

Raunchel
2018-11-08, 07:16 AM
For most metamagic feats, I think that this would work well. But I would be very careful about letting it work with Persistent Spell, there are some quite serious dangers there given the amount of short duration self-targeting spells with strong effects. You could either exclude it specifically, or include a restriction like it only allowing for the ignoring of the cost of metamagic feats with a modifier of up to caster level/4 or the like.

rferries
2018-11-08, 05:06 PM
Hmm good point. I generally limit my balancing point to core stuff though, so I'll leave it as-is. Most low-level spells that could benefit from Persistent Spell wouldn't be too broken though, anyways.

nonsi
2018-11-09, 12:17 AM
Hmm good point. I generally limit my balancing point to core stuff though, so I'll leave it as-is. Most low-level spells that could benefit from Persistent Spell wouldn't be too broken though, anyways.

Persistent Acid Arrow :xykon: :biggrin: :biggrin: