PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Skinwalker, a non-spell-casting shape-changer PEACH

PhoenixPhyre
2018-11-11, 08:06 PM
Or "Why should Druids have all the fun?"

Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H6qsjgMSxMjXo8cb5O09QnBpaPk1Ou8B8-tiAOmGTVg/edit?usp=sharing)

This one utilizes aspects rather than animals (much like the 4e Druid did)--it's more that you take on parts of animal shapes (and even get some in your base shape) without the full-scale stat-block changes of wildshape. Is it balanced? Probably not.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

theVoidWatches
2018-11-11, 09:32 PM
I mostly don't have any balance notes as I too have little idea of how balanced this is. I really like the concept, though, and it seems like a pretty reasonable way of building such a character.

Other than that...

Aspect shifting doesn't specify when used shifts are regained (presumably after a long rest).

Undying Protection seems stupidly strong, but that's just at first read. Exhaustion is powerful, so that might not be as crazy as I think it is.

Improved Ambush seems strong as well, but again that might just be my knee-jerk reaction.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-11-12, 09:24 AM
I mostly don't have any balance notes as I too have little idea of how balanced this is. I really like the concept, though, and it seems like a pretty reasonable way of building such a character.

Other than that...

Aspect shifting doesn't specify when used shifts are regained (presumably after a long rest).

It's there at the end of the first paragraph. LR reset.

Undying Protection seems stupidly strong, but that's just at first read. Exhaustion is powerful, so that might not be as crazy as I think it is.

Improved Ambush seems strong as well, but again that might just be my knee-jerk reaction.

Undying Protection was one of my concerns. Exhaustion is severe, but the bigger (reset to half HP) form of the feature is restricted to the lower DPR part. I think it's on par with the moon druid's "infinite bonus action wildshapes" or a little weaker.

Improved Ambush probably needs some alteration as to the numbers. It does restrict you to being in cover and then moving in, so you're unlikely to be able to do it more than once every other round at most since you can't Dash as a bonus action without a dip into rogue (which may be too much...). It's a stronger version of the Chameleon's Hide minor aspect (no advantage on stealth, restrictions on when and where (you have to make an attack at the end of the movement), but extra crit range). Dunno.

jiriku
2018-11-12, 03:57 PM
Very comprehensive, although aquatic aspects are conspicious in their absence.

Chameleon Hide and Improved Ambush seem excessively similar to one another. My feeling is that the improved ambush crit threat should be both smaller and more widely useful. For example, maybe you get a 19-20 crit range whenever you attack with advantage.

I am not sure I like the style of combining all these major and minor aspects. By 20th level you'll be some weird chimeric monstrosity studded in fangs, spikes, wings, chamelon skin, a poison stinger, etc. The character will look like a sadistic wizard's rejected experiment. I'm not sure that's what you were going for.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-11-12, 06:18 PM
Very comprehensive, although aquatic aspects are conspicious in their absence.

I couldn't think of any good ones that weren't very situational (since most campaigns don't go aquatic). Ideas are welcome.

Chameleon Hide and Improved Ambush seem excessively similar to one another. My feeling is that the improved ambush crit threat should be both smaller and more widely useful. For example, maybe you get a 19-20 crit range whenever you attack with advantage.

Probably true.

I am not sure I like the style of combining all these major and minor aspects. By 20th level you'll be some weird chimeric monstrosity studded in fangs, spikes, wings, chamelon skin, a poison stinger, etc. The character will look like a sadistic wizard's rejected experiment. I'm not sure that's what you were going for.

Actually, the chimeric/hybrid look was part of the aesthetic I was going for. Much less "I'm a clone of a single animal" than a druid, more "I cherry-pick the relevant parts of animals to get the job done."

The aspects (except for the obvious ones) are only as visible as you make them to be. I could see a Vengeful Protector Skinwalker who mostly looks human, just really burly and hairy with short claws. Oh, and you can turn off the minor aspects at will, so you can walk into town all normal and then go full furball in combat/when needed.

jiriku
2018-11-13, 01:26 AM
If you want a chimeric hybrid then I'd suggest an Aquatic Body minor aspect with gills, fins, webbed limbs, and hyper-smooth skin (or greasy fur). It would grant water breathing and a swim speed.