PDA

View Full Version : Deathproof

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:25 PM
Has anyone seen it and is it anygood. Personally I thought the film with the one legged stripper and zombies looked better but Deathproof is directed by the legendary Quentin Tarentino. So if anyone has seen Grindhouse can you tell if Deathproof is any good since it is being released on it's own in the UK.

FoE
2007-09-19, 03:44 PM
I was one of the few who went to go see Grindhouse, Platinum, so I can tell you about the version of Deathproof that I saw (which isn't necessarily the DVD version; for example, both films had "missing reels" which may be on the DVD).

First, understand that this is a Tarantino film, so there's a lot of dialogue; in fact, the first half of Deathproof largely consists of the characters talking. This does tend to get a little boring.

However, the second half is taken up entirely by car chases, which are quite exciting. The story particularly kicks into high gear when the girls are able to turn the tables on Stuntman Mike, who is played just brilliantly by Kurt Russell.

Also understand that the mood is deliberately over-the-top: this movie is just a homage, after all, to bad 1970s exploitation films. Still, if you're a Tarantino fan, I would definitely rent this.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-19, 03:57 PM
It hasn't even come out in the cinemas here but since QT is a God to me I will have to find a fake ID and blag my way into a cinema.

valadil
2007-09-20, 10:23 AM
I enjoyed Deathproof, but thought Planet Terror was way better. I may have liked Deathproof better had I not just sat through PT (even at 24 I get restless and can't watch too much TV all at once) but I have no way to know for sure.

What I'd really like to find out is if there's going to be a Grindhouse DVD release or just the two films individually. If they're individuals, which one is going to have all the fake trailers?

Hawriel
2007-09-20, 12:57 PM
I saw grindhouse in the threaters when It came out. I injoyed it alot.
Deathproof I think is the better of the two. I didnt mind the long diolog in the begining because you got to know the characters befor the slasher part of the movie kicks in. That is what QT wanted this movie to be. ITs his slasher movie whare the bad guy uses a car. The car chase was exilent. I dont remember her name but one of the girls was a real stunt women, her acting in this movie was great. The car chase was filmed at 70 90 100 MPH or more not at 30 then movie magiced up.

Oh and Sydney Tamiia Poitia......oh my god beautiful in every sence of the word.

Lemur
2007-09-20, 03:04 PM
I saw Grindhouse recently, and I have to say that I liked Planet Terror better. It's just the sort of over the top nonsense that you'd want from a zombie action survival flick. Death Proof gets interesting near the end, but some of the dialogue doesn't really serve much purpose in the film (a good deal of it does explain things that happen later on, but there are conversations that could be left out), which gets a bit tedious since nothing seems to happen for stretches of the movie.

Really though, the best part is the fake trailers.

GimliFett
2007-09-20, 03:13 PM
Really though, the best part is the fake trailers.

Those were fake?!?!?! :smallwink:

Darken Rahl
2007-09-20, 03:15 PM
Why, oh why, did they split the DVD?

PlatinumJester
2007-09-20, 03:18 PM
Why, oh why, did they split the DVD?

Because they suck :smallfrown:. At least you could see both films together. i have to shell out double money to see both. Crap, now I know why they split them up.

valadil
2007-09-20, 03:37 PM
Those were fake?!?!?! :smallwink:

They were fake. Machete was so popular they're making a movie out of it :-D

GimliFett
2007-09-20, 03:40 PM
They were fake. Machete was so popular they're making a movie out of it :-D

AWESOME! Machete FTW!

PlatinumJester
2007-09-20, 03:50 PM
Just watched the machete trailer. It looks so damn cool :smallcool:. I wish I was Mexican.

RTGoodman
2007-09-20, 04:06 PM
I also managed to see Grindhouse when both films were in the theaters together. I have to say, I love Quentin Tarantino and most of the stuff he's done, but I really didn't like Deathproof.

Well, that's a little harsh - it was okay, but I don't think it fit with anything else I saw in the theater that day. I mean, yeah it's trendy for your whole film (or at least the first half) to be entirely dialogue, but after seeing explosions, mutant zombies, one-legged Rose McGowan, and whatnot for the preceding hour or two, it dragged a lot. Also, I felt like the pacing was bad - Tarantino spent way too much time with the first set of girls just to kill them off (although the death scene was cool), and the end of the movie (where the second set get their revenge) seems rushed and sort of tacked on. (Highlight to see the spoiler)

All in all, I wouldn't see it again, probably, unless it came to DVD in a collector's set with both Planet Terror and the faux trailers.

Oh, by the way - Machete is going to be the greatest film of all time. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2007-09-21, 10:49 AM
I have lost all faith in Quentin Tarantino after the way he butchered the finale of the CSI episodes he directed.

TSGames
2007-09-23, 01:05 AM
I have lost all faith in Quentin Tarantino after the way he butchered the finale of the CSI episodes he directed.

Even a god of movie making couldn't make that show interesting...

Also, Attack of the Show placed "Deathproof" in the "rent" category, as opposed to the "buy" category.

feghoot
2007-09-25, 11:48 PM
Because the theaters in my town didn't pick it up, I have to rent it.:smallfurious:

Deathproof is a good show, just don't go to see it expecting to see kill bill.