PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap, Yuan-ti Halfbloods

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-19, 05:17 PM
Their ability scores bonuses are INSANE. +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +8 Int, +8 Wis, +6 Cha? :smalleek:

Saph
2007-09-19, 05:22 PM
What's their LA? +5 or so?

- Saph

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-19, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that's right. But still!

Zim
2007-09-19, 05:54 PM
Yeah, they're pretty badass as NPC antagonists, but the LA kills them for PC's.

TheOOB
2007-09-19, 07:01 PM
Yeah, that's right. But still!

5 LA is a lot, thats 5 levels worth of hp, BAB, feats, special abilities, and spells (for most classes thats three spell levels)

Zherog
2007-09-19, 07:14 PM
Not to mention 7 monstrous humanoid hit dice.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-19, 07:17 PM
Not to mention 7 monstrous humanoid hit dice.

Monstrous Humanod HD aren't bad as far as RHD go. I mean, they could be Fey HD.

Zherog
2007-09-19, 07:24 PM
Sure, they could be worse - as you mentioned, fey are pretty bad. But unless you're talking about outsider or dragon, every monster type is poor when it comes to hit dice - just some are worse than others. ;)

Miraqariftsky
2007-09-20, 08:46 AM
Their ability scores bonuses are INSANE. +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +8 Int, +8 Wis, +6 Cha? :smalleek:
---What's the justification for 8 to BOTH Int and Wis? And seriously, whit's with the +6 to Cha? Can a Yuan-ti Halfblood just waltz into a temple of zealots and charm them to oblivion?

Reinboom
2007-09-20, 09:06 AM
I think this describes, based on the Iames reaction to the stats vs everyone else's rebuttal, does anyone have a decent conception of just how much stats are worth in relation to class levels (obviously thee most valuable thing), special abilities, qualities, feats, hp, etc.

nhbdy
2007-09-20, 09:13 AM
I agree with the massive plussages to intelingence and wisdom, in my mind a race shouldn't give big plusses to those, because those represent the mental ability and are way less physical than the others that might be more based on your race

Mr Horse
2007-09-20, 11:50 AM
I agree with the massive plussages to intelingence and wisdom, in my mind a race shouldn't give big plusses to those, because those represent the mental ability and are way less physical than the others that might be more based on your race

I highly disagree with this. Some species are obviously physically disposed to being better at complex mental disciplines (as in their brains are highly developed). Illithids come to mind.

Tiki Snakes
2007-09-20, 01:27 PM

But the fact that Yuan-Ti DO have massive mental ability is kind of a central point of the whole Yuan-Ti thing. They are the archetypal super-genius foes, in theory and fluff at least. :)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-09-20, 01:40 PM
But the fact that Yuan-Ti DO have massive mental ability is kind of a central point of the whole Yuan-Ti thing. They are the archetypal super-genius foes, in theory and fluff at least. :)

Well, the abominations, perhaps, but half-bloods having those types of mental scores is just nuts. Personally, I just read it as "yuan-ti halfbloods are in the 16-18 Int range" instead of "roll normally for them and add +6 Int"; I have trouble accepting that a regular yuan-ti halfblood with max Int is smarter than any 20th-level human wizard could naturally be.

tainsouvra
2007-09-20, 02:44 PM
I have trouble accepting that a regular yuan-ti halfblood with max Int is smarter than any 20th-level human wizard could naturally be. Why is it unusual for an exceptionally-brilliant member of a genius race to be more intelligent than an exceptionally-brilliant member of a not-particularly-smart race?

Look at it this way...would you say...
I have trouble accepting that a regular human with max Int is smarter than any poodle could naturally be.
...or would a species average intelligence be a factor, making a very smart dog not manage to be more intelligent than a typical human?