PDA

View Full Version : Character ascending to godhood?

Lolzords
2007-09-21, 09:07 AM
In the climax to my lunchtime campaign today (in computer in geography, meant to be working. shh) my character avenged the death of a golden dragon who was the god of all that is good andholy. Basically for avenging him i take over as god of good and holy. What would you do in my position?

Afraidofsharpie
2007-09-21, 09:16 AM
Start a crusade against cheese danishes?

Crow
2007-09-21, 09:19 AM
Create a ham sandwich from thin air...then eat it.

Fighteer
2007-09-21, 09:19 AM
What's your competition like, in the form of gods of all that is evil and unholy? You need to find out if you can simply start smiting everything bad or if doing so risks universal destruction.

Another good tip for new gods: do a purge of your priesthood. Make sure they know who's boss. There are bound to be some heretics and blasphemers in there, not to mention people who liked your predecessor better. They may need some "persuasion" to see things the right way. The last thing you need is a schism.

For the rest of the people, a few judicious miracles work wonders to get them all happily praying to you. Healing is a great one; so is liberation from slavery, if you can find any slaves.

A lot of this depends on whether you are a major deity with a relatively free hand, or if you're just a starting or mid-level deity in a hierarchy. Because if you do have a heavenly boss, you pretty much have to run your ideas by him/her/it for a while.

Solo
2007-09-21, 09:28 AM
Another good tip for new gods: do a purge of your priesthood. Make sure they know who's boss. There are bound to be some heretics and blasphemers in there, not to mention people who liked your predecessor better. They may need some "persuasion" to see things the right way. The last thing you need is a schism.

http://www.garmentdistrict.com/store/popculture/montypython/spanish_sm.jpg

kamikasei
2007-09-21, 09:32 AM
Presumably there's a host of churches and orders set up around the god you're replacing. Be careful not to shake things up so much that they all fall apart. It's not very good or holy to dismantle a vast apparatus for good works.

Of course, context is important. What's your position among the other gods? Are you yourself with the god's portfolio tacked on, or have you absorbed his power/wisdom etc. (in other words, are you a novice in over your head, or a new face on an old power?) Is there much corruption in the good churches, were the forces of darkness on the brink of victory, or is everything much as it always is but with a change of the guard?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-21, 09:57 AM
Discuss what that means with your DM in campaign. Is your PC a DR0 Einherjer or does he have Divine Ranks and status Demi, Lesser, Intermediate or Greater Power. What is your portfolio and what are your domains? Are you going to base a campaign around this or just have fun for an adventure or two?