PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e Homebrew Ranged Lightning Cantrip: Because we all know we need one!

Xyrz
2018-12-03, 08:16 PM
This is a no frills, simple RANGED lightning attack cantrip. It bothers me that you have Ray of Frost and Firebolt, but no lightning equivalent.

----------------------------------------------------------
LIGHTNING STRIKES

evocation cantrip

Casting time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You use your action to unleash two flashing streaks of pure lightning toward a creature within range. Make a separate ranged spell attack roll for each lightning strike. On a hit, the target takes 1d4 lightning damage. You can direct the lightning strikes at the same target or at different ones.

The spell's damage increases by 1d4 for each lightning strike when you reach 5th level (2d4 each), 11th level (3d4 each), and 17th level (4d4 each).

------------------------------------------------------------
Average damage comparison:

Firebolt:
- 1st level: 5.5
- 5th level: 11
- 11th level: 16.5
- 17th level: 22

Ray of Frost:
- 1st level: 4.5
- 5th level: 9
- 11th level: 13.5
- 17th level: 18

Lightning Strikes:
- 1st level: 5
- 5th level: 10
- 11th level: 15
- 17th level: 20

Let me know what you think about this.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

JNAProductions
2018-12-03, 10:33 PM
Seems fine to me. I might be inclined to make them d3s (it's got a good damage type AND multiple shots) but I doubt anything's gonna break with them at d4s.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-04, 06:36 PM
Seems fine to me. I might be inclined to make them d3s (it's got a good damage type AND multiple shots) but I doubt anything's gonna break with them at d4s.

d3 isn't exactly a common dice type.

The twin hitting is a little too strong when considering things like the On-hit bonuses provided by a Tempest Cleric, or the modifier cantrip damage bonus from certain classes being applied twice.

Reduce the range to 30 or 60 feet, so that it's neither better or worse than other cantrips, and you got yourself a solid homebrew, my friend. As is, I'd still probably take this over Firebolt, in the chance that I need AoE over focus fire, or if I happen to take levels into a lightning build or happen to get my spellcasting modifier added to it.

Xyrz
2018-12-04, 09:14 PM
d3 isn't exactly a common dice type.

The twin hitting is a little too strong when considering things like the On-hit bonuses provided by a Tempest Cleric, or the modifier cantrip damage bonus from certain classes being applied twice.

Reduce the range to 30 or 60 feet, so that it's neither better or worse than other cantrips, and you got yourself a solid homebrew, my friend. As is, I'd still probably take this over Firebolt, in the chance that I need AoE over focus fire, or if I happen to take levels into a lightning build or happen to get my spellcasting modifier added to it.

I think reducing it to 60feet is fine.

I would only probably add this Cantrip to druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes. I'm not entirely sure about druid either.

I mean, other than the 10ft pushback from the tempest cleric level 6 ability, I can't think of much that affects this.

As for the on hit bonuses, like elemental affinity or empowered evocation, you can only add the bonus to one damage roll, not both, much like scorching Ray. The only exception to this is agonizing blast, but that only applies to Eldritch blast. Potent spellcasting/cantrip I believe would only be applied once per casting like the wizard and sorcerer abilities.

Sure, things like hex benefit better, but it cannot be twinned from metamagic either.

I'm not worried about its "double tap" feature.

jiriku
2018-12-04, 11:41 PM
You know, I was just thinking I needed a lightning cantrip for a class I'm building. I may steal this one.

Adding to the discussion, while some builds can try to weasel in bonus damage on every strike, all builds are affected by the fact that with two attacks, this cantrip benefits less from effects like guiding bolt or the Help action that grant advantage to your next roll. So the split attack is both a strength and a weakness.

Xyrz
2018-12-05, 09:07 AM
You know, I was just thinking I needed a lightning cantrip for a class I'm building. I may steal this one.

Adding to the discussion, while some builds can try to weasel in bonus damage on every strike, all builds are affected by the fact that with two attacks, this cantrip benefits less from effects like guiding bolt or the Help action that grant advantage to your next roll. So the split attack is both a strength and a weakness.

Awesome! I'm glad that I can help you out! And I'm glad that you like the spell!

And yes, you are correct, abilities and features that grant advantage on next attack are not as effective with split damage.

I did some additional digging online and there are a few things that I want to note regarding this discussion:

- First, I agree that d3s are uncommon. Also, I believe the damage would be too weak, especially since this cantrip only deals damage and does nothing else. I like d4s.

- I would only add this cantrip to the Sorcerer's and Wizard's spell lists. I am still on the fence with whether or not a Druid should get this cantrip.

- According to PHB errata, Elemental Affinity and Empowered Evocation can only apply its bonus to one damage roll of the spell, not multiple rolls. This cantrip would apply to this ruling as well. Therefore, it would not have any real advantage over Firebolt or Ray of Frost.

- However, Potent Spellcasting seems to be different. According to Jeremy Crawford, it would seem that the Wisdom modifier bonus damage applies to anytime a Cleric cantrip deals damage. On Twitter, he addresses the concerns that someone had with how Green Flame Blade would interact with Potent Spellcasting. He stated that Potent Spellcasting adds to damage dealt by a cantrip. He then elaborated saying that the bonus damage would be applied to both the first and second target starting at level 5. This leads me to believe that for my cantrip, the bonus damage would be applied to each lightning strike so as long as this cantrip is considered a Cleric cantrip.

- Given that I did not want this to be a Cleric cantrip, the only way to make this a Cleric cantrip would be through the Arcane Domain's Arcane Initiate feature. In which case, fine, if you want to invest 8 levels as an Arcane Domain Cleric to make that combo work, go ahead. Also, picking cantrips from other classes using the Magic Initiate feat does not make those Cleric cantrips, so that is not an option here.

- Link to Jeremy Crawford's response:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/756203803339173888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sageadvice.eu%2F2016%2F0 8%2F13%2Fdoes-the-arcana-clerics-potent-spellcasting-add-wis-mod-damage%2F

Again, thank you for your feedback and let me know what you guys think! I'm happy to hear that so far, this cantrip is being well received!

jiriku
2018-12-05, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'd agree. It's so difficult to get extra damage from the cantrip that anyone who is willing to go to that much effort is welcome to it. Plus, combos aren't a bad thing. Allowing players to find small synergies within the system rewards their system mastery and careful character-building.