PDA

View Full Version : 5e 'alternate' classes

stewstew5
2018-12-04, 11:44 PM
I want to wright a class for 5e that's not a full class, so to speak. Intended to be multiclassed into or not carry a character to level 20, is there anything I can call these types of classes, and anything I can reference for them?

SleeplessWriter
2018-12-04, 11:56 PM
I know in older editions of dnd there were prestige classes and they had certain prerequisites before you could multiclass into them, but I don't really know much more, and I don't think there's any official 5e prestige classes yet to compare them to.
Hope this helps a little, at least.

stewstew5
2018-12-05, 12:17 AM
I know in older editions of dnd there were prestige classes and they had certain prerequisites before you could multiclass into them, but I don't really know much more, and I don't think there's any official 5e prestige classes yet to compare them to.
Hope this helps a little, at least.

Yea I was looking for a more-or-less equivalent to those. I know there are some rules for beyond-20th levels in the DMG but that's about as far as I can find

JBPuffin
2018-12-05, 12:31 AM
Yea I was looking for a more-or-less equivalent to those. I know there are some rules for beyond-20th levels in the DMG but that's about as far as I can find

Unearthed Arcana came out with an example Prestige Class, if that helps. Look it up on the Wizards' site, it's one of their older ones.

Potato_Priest
2018-12-05, 01:26 AM
Here's the link to the Unearthed Arcana 5th edition prestige class(es). I don't really remember how many they have in that document.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf

stewstew5
2018-12-05, 11:14 AM
Here's the link to the Unearthed Arcana 5th edition prestige class(es). I don't really remember how many they have in that document.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf

Exactly what I needed, thank you! Although the link does only lead to the Rune Magic prestige class

PhoenixPhyre
2018-12-05, 11:33 AM
Exactly what I needed, thank you! Although the link does only lead to the Rune Magic prestige class

That's the only one they trialed--the whole concept got a very (almost unanimous) NO! from the surveys they did, so they scrapped the whole concept.

Remember, multiclassing is a variant rule. 5e has gone more in the direction of using subclasses/archetypes for this. If all you want are class-specific features, implementing them as culturally-linked/plot-linked boons without going to the trouble of multiclassing (with all the headaches that brings) fits better into 5e's general design.

stewstew5
2018-12-05, 09:33 PM
That's the only one they trialed--the whole concept got a very (almost unanimous) NO! from the surveys they did, so they scrapped the whole concept.

Remember, multiclassing is a variant rule. 5e has gone more in the direction of using subclasses/archetypes for this. If all you want are class-specific features, implementing them as culturally-linked/plot-linked boons without going to the trouble of multiclassing (with all the headaches that brings) fits better into 5e's general design.

huh. well whady'a know.

MoleMage
2018-12-06, 08:57 AM
I tried to make something similar to 3.5 prestige classes but within the design space of 5e.

Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565848-Prestige-Ranks-and-Legendary-Items) the first write-up. Needs some work. I did actually make the edits suggested in that thread (5 tiers instead of 3), but it was a couple weeks later than I expected and I never got it posted on the thread.