PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fortunesmith Archetype for Rogues [PEACH]

superninja109
2018-12-15, 11:58 AM
I have a new player in a campaign I am running, and he wants to play a very normal but very lucky guy. So, I made this rogue subclass to try to simulate this. Please critique the features and tell any suggestions you might have. I feel like the Lucky Moment is too bland and could be more like the later features in that they benefit from being in a bad situation (surprised, disadvantage on an attack roll, etc).

Fortunesmith
Luck rogues are rogues who are often more or less ordinary people who are extremely lucky. These luck rogues often have no idea what they are doing but succeed anyway in the most cinematic way possible.

Oh, I have one right here…
Starting at 3rd level, once per long rest, you can discover one mundane item among your possessions. This item must be worth no more than 50 gp, be of a size and weight such that it is plausible for you to have had this item all along. You are assumed to have had this item the whole time.

Inexplicably Specific Knowledge
Starting at 3rd level, one per long rest, you can choose one tool or skill with which to gain proficiency. You are proficient with this tool for the next 10 minutes.

Lucky Moment
Starting at 9th level, once per short rest, you can give yourself advantage on one attack roll or ability check.

Plot Armor
Starting at 13th level, when you are surprised, until the start of your turn, you are immune to all damage and succeed on all saving throws.

One-in-a-million Shot
Starting at 17th level, once per short rest, when you hit a creature with an attack for which the attack roll had disadvantage, you can make this attack automatically be a critical hit.

The Cats
2018-12-15, 12:38 PM
Feels very Terry Pratchetty so I'm obligated to like it.

All the other Rogue archetypes are named for 'professions'. Could call it the Fortunate Son?

Oh, I have one right here... A value-limiter would stop people from producing say, baby-sized diamonds. "You produce" implies it takes some sort of action to create the item. Since the flavour you're going for is 'he had it all along' you could word it as "You discover you have a non-magical item of your choice in your possession, even if it was not listed on your character sheet. It must be an item worth no more than 50 gold and of a size and weight that you could reasonably carry. Once you use this ability you can't use it again until you finish a long rest."

Suspiciously specific knowledge Very weak. You can make it 'skill or tool' and it would be fine. I think Knowledge clerics get that at first level. Makes for a super nice synergy with reliable talent once you get it.

Lucky Moment No problems, I'll note this is the first ability that grants a clear combat benefit to the subclass, and it doesn't show up till level 9.

Plot Armour Love it. Could use a "Until the start of your turn" though. I would have made plot armour a turn of immunity when you're about to take KO damage once a day, but that's just me.

Lucky Shot Not calling this "It's a one-in-a-million Chance" is a travesty. Some might take umbrage with the ridiculous situations this could conjure (Forcing disadvantage on yourself for the auto-crit chance) but that's kind of the point, isn't it? You should specify that the attack needs to hit for it to auto crit since one interpretation now is that it crits regardless of the roll. I don't think it needs the restriction against reroll abilities. If they wanna use their luck or halfling luck to get lucky-luck and luck the luck I say go for it. Keep the auto-hit ability caveat though cause 100% is definitely not one in a million.

superninja109
2018-12-15, 12:59 PM
Feels very Terry Pratchetty so I'm obligated to like it.

All the other Rogue archetypes are named for 'professions'. Could call it the Fortunate Son?

Sounds like a good idea.

Oh, I have one right here... A value-limiter would stop people from producing say, baby-sized diamonds. "You produce" implies it takes some sort of action to create the item. Since the flavour you're going for is 'he had it all along' you could word it as "You discover you have a non-magical item of your choice in your possession, even if it was not listed on your character sheet. It must be an item worth no more than 50 gold and of a size and weight that you could reasonably carry. Once you use this ability you can't use it again until you finish a long rest."

You're right, I forgot about a value limit. Thanks for pointing that out. That wording also sounds better. I'll change that.

Suspiciously specific knowledge Very weak. You can make it 'skill or tool' and it would be fine. I think Knowledge clerics get that at first level. Makes for a super nice synergy with reliable talent once you get it.
I meant this to be somewhat weak because it is gained at the same level as Oh, I have one right here. Is this okay because of this? I was considering the skill as well, but I don't want it to be an exact clone of the knowledge cleric's ability that you get along with the other feature.

Lucky Moment No problems, I'll note this is the first ability that grants a clear combat benefit to the subclass, and it doesn't show up till level 9.
I'm fine with the fact that this is the first "combat ability." My campaigns usually have a lot of non-combat challenges or unconventional combats in which other stratagems come in handy. However, the Oh, I have one right here, could be used for finding another weapon in case you are disarmed, setting mid-combat traps like caltrops or marbles, finding some alchemist's fire or something like this. It can be a combat benefit, but it requires creativity to become one.

Plot Armour Love it. Could use a "Until the start of your turn" though. I would have made plot armour a turn of immunity when you're about to take KO damage once a day, but that's just me.
Thanks, I like it this way though. This is the "spidey-sense" that makes it so you will never be just sniped down early on in a fight.

Lucky Shot Not calling this "It's a one-in-a-million Chance" is a travesty. Some might take umbrage with the ridiculous situations this could conjure (Forcing disadvantage on yourself for the auto-crit chance) but that's kind of the point, isn't it? You should specify that the attack needs to hit for it to auto crit since one interpretation now is that it crits regardless of the roll. I don't think it needs the restriction against reroll abilities. If they wanna use their luck or halfling luck to get lucky-luck and luck the luck I say go for it. Keep the auto-hit ability caveat though cause 100% is definitely not one in a million.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that name. I'll fix the wording. I guess you're right. The one-in-a-million shots are never actually one-in-a-million shots. I'll remove the no dice modification clause.
EDIT: The ability did already specify that you trigger this "when you hit a creature with an attack"

The Cats
2018-12-15, 01:29 PM
Suspiciously specific knowledge There's plenty of precedent for cloning features to other classes. Oh, I have one right here is versatile and fun but no one would call it especially powerful. Limiting the first features you get to that and a bonus to tools (which are rarely used) that only lasts ten minutes (which is useless for most tools. Takes much longer to craft most things) is pretty meh.

superninja109
2018-12-15, 02:16 PM
Suspiciously specific knowledge There's plenty of precedent for cloning features to other classes. Oh, I have one right here is versatile and fun but no one would call it especially powerful. Limiting the first features you get to that and a bonus to tools (which are rarely used) that only lasts ten minutes (which is useless for most tools. Takes much longer to craft most things) is pretty meh.
I guess that makes sense. I will change it.