PDA

View Full Version : Going in Blind, Build Help

Tokuhara
2018-12-17, 04:20 PM
So I'm going in blind to my newest game (reboot of the old game, but with 3-4 new players) and am trying to figure out which character will "in a vacuum" be more valuable to my fellow PCs:

Build 1: Mark of Passage Human Figher going Gunslinger at 3

Build 2: Wildhunt Shifter Blood Hunter going Order of the Lycan at 3

Stats: Rolled (4d6 drop lowest 2) 17, 11, 18, 11, 15, 12

Standard starting gear with allowance to drop pieces to purchase others of equivalent value.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-17, 04:25 PM
One thing I always recommend is to look at what your team is missing and fill in that gap. If 2/3 of your team are ranged combatants, going Gunslinger might not be the best choice.

Ideally, you want 1 more melee character than you have ranged, with a good balance of damage vs. survivability. If you have a Swashbuckler and a Death Cleric already in the team (Squishy, high damage melee characters), then it'd be best to pick something that will help them survive long enough to deal that damage (Ancestral Guardian Barbarian/Order Paladin, for instance)

Tokuhara
2018-12-17, 04:29 PM
As of this moment, the only party member I have 100% confirmation of is a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue using Daggers.

And forgot to mention (my bad y'all), we're locked into Core books, UA, Critical Role, and WGtE, with SCAG, XGtE, and others opening up down the road (as we level)

Mercurias
2018-12-18, 07:07 AM
Of the two builds listed, It seems you rolled well enough for the Hunter. You can slap the 18 into Dex, the 15 into Con, the 17 into Wis, the 12 into STR, and dump Int/Cha. Super perceptive ranged attacker with stealth potential.

Tokuhara
2018-12-18, 02:40 PM
Of the two builds listed, It seems you rolled well enough for the Hunter. You can slap the 18 into Dex, the 15 into Con, the 17 into Wis, the 12 into STR, and dump Int/Cha. Super perceptive ranged attacker with stealth potential.

Trying to understand the "Ranged Attacker" aspect of this. The Hybrid form has essentially two scimitars as UAS that are a single bonus action to Rite. Sure, Ranged is certainly a strong secondary, but until I go full floof, I can Rapier as a primary.