PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next How do you craft a homebrew spell list?

KOLE
2018-12-18, 09:05 PM
Hey everyone,

Recently dipped my toes into the water, homebrewing for the first real time last week by a releasing a Patron for the Warlock. I got a lot of helpful feedback. One of the first issues with it was the fact that the expanded spell list was considered very overpowered for a short rest recovery class, which I took into consideration and promptly fixed.

I'm working on another class that is intended to be a full caster, so my mind has been really chewing on the concept of spell lists. Spell lists are a terrific way to flavor a build and define its role. They also have a considerable impact on the efficacy of the cast. For example, I hear many people define the Wizard's spell list as its own class feature, because it contains pretty much every good spell in the game, and can cover any desired casting role with the exception of healing. If you were to swap the Wizard spell list for another, you might unwittingly nerf the whole cast.

The bard is another interesting example as it remains balanced because of what ISN'T on it spell list. Bards get more than pretty much any other caster: decent hit die, armor proficiency, good saving throws, good weapon use, great cantrips... The only thing really keeping it in check is its spell list, which is good, but not overwhelming.

The Druid as it is is practically defined solely by its spell list. Wildshape shenanigans are great, but when I hear people talking seriously about playing a Druid, the conversation tends to picking from its wonderful list.

Clerics wouldn't be near as amazing of a class without the hefty spells on its list, including many exclusives.

Considering this has really put things into perspective for me. How do you decide what goes on a homebrew spell list and what doesn't? Is it appropriate to stick to a theme? How much or how little? Do you encourage action economy by having a good spell for action, bonus and reaction at every level? Do you include control spells with a wide variety of saving throw stats so a caster has one for every kind of enemy? Do you make sure the have AOEs every level? Or is having an option for all of those too much?

I'd like to hear the forum's wisdom on this.

cesius
2018-12-18, 11:19 PM
How do you decide what goes on a homebrew spell list and what doesn't? Is it appropriate to stick to a theme? How much or how little? Do you encourage action economy by having a good spell for action, bonus and reaction at every level? Do you include control spells with a wide variety of saving throw stats so a caster has one for every kind of enemy? Do you make sure the have AOEs every level? Or is having an option for all of those too much?

I'd like to hear the forum's wisdom on this.

I don't know about wisdom, but here's my perspective. Power is power and where it comes from can be from any mix of class features, options, and spell options. It's a matter of placing emphasis on the portions you need to get the theme from the class.

If you need powerful spell casting then other parts of the class have to be weaker. So if the core concept of the class requires stronger class features, like Warlock, then the spell casting has to be weaker.

What do I mean by powerful spell casting? Take some sort of elementalist as an example. I want them to be able to know and cast all spells of one element which they choose at level 1. That's a lot of versatility and a wide spread of power. The class features and options then need to foster the theme, but can't add too much power or utility beyond the spells.

On the other hand, I could limit their spell options by making them learn a limited number of spells and give more powerful class features related to terrain manipulation that goes beyond what pre-existing spells can do.

This all usually involves iteration. Start broad: what are all the spells that fit the theme? Narrow in: what spells must they absolutely have access to? Bounce back and forth between the two as I develop other class features and options. How powerful are the class features and options? Compensate by tweaking the spell list.

I don't worry about the specifics of the spells so much as I look at the distribution of spells within spell levels. If it's uneven then that's a sign I may want to not go with spell casting to get the effect I want. The other thing I look for is obvious choices. Out of the spells at a certain level is one the obvious 'must take'? I feel there needs to be a meaningful choice between the spells.

What about expanded spell lists? Class specific casting patterns impact class specific spells. It's something to keep in mind. Does your class cast more often than the class the original spell was for? Go with a low versatility spell so it's limited use balances out the fact that you could cast it more often. And so on and so forth.

Overall though I'd have to say it's all about iteration and feedback from others.