PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next rework of basic weapon rules, fighting styles, and feats

stoutstien
2018-12-21, 04:50 PM
Martial classes/ Fighting style/ feat rework

Powerful strike- while fighting you can trade accuracy for power. Before you take the attack action while wielding a two-handed weapon or a versatile weapon in two hands that you are proficient with, you can reduce your attack roll by an amount equal to your proficiency bonus. if the attack hits you add twice your proficiency bonus to the damage.

Notes: first off you may note it works for all ranged weapons also besides darts, blowguns, slings and hand crossbows which was intentional. The -2hit/+4 damage at first lv to -6 hit/+12 damage at 17th level is a much softer curve and moving it to basic combat rules reduce “feat tax” for martial classes.

Two weapon fighting- When you take the attack action and attack with a light weapon that you are holding on one hand, you can use your reaction to attack with a different light melee weapon that you are holding in the other hand. You do not add your ability modifier to the damage of the reaction off hand attack, unless that modifier is negative. If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon instead of making a melee attack with it. You can only make this extra attack once per round.

You can draw/ stow two weapons at a time.

If you gain the extra attack class feature, the two-weapon extra attack no longer uses your reaction.

Notes: why reaction? I wanted to free up the bonus action so big class features such as rage activation, and spells like hunter’s mark and hex to be less conflicting with the action economy but still wanted a cost of some sort for gaining a second weapon attack. Also, a subtle change to rogues attempting to get a second sneak attacks in one round they can do this still but it going to take a 5+ level investment to get extra attack.

• Archery +2 hit with ranged weapons
• Defense-+1 AC. As a reaction, when a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can redirect the attack towards you. You can only preform this act once per round
• Duelist- +1 hit and +1 damage when wielding a weapon in one hand and no other weapons.
• Great weapon fighting +2 damage while wielding a 2 handed weapon or a versatile weapon in two hands
• Throwing weapon fighting- +1 damage and long range no longer impose disadvantage on attack rolls.
• Two weapon fighting- main hand weapon no longer needs to me light and you have +1 AC while wielding two weapons.

Notes: goal was to have a clear goal of which weapons should be doing more damage: 2hd/ versatile> 2wf > single weapon and thrown weapons. Throwing builds are a popular choice but no real support other than a sneak attack so a fighting style seem fitting.

Dual Wielder
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
you learned how to become a
+1 strength or +1 dexterity
you add your damage modifier to your offhand strike.
You can forgo advantage with an attack with your offhand strike to perform an extra attack with the same weapon.

Great Weapon Master
You've learned to put the weight of a weapon to your advantage, letting its momentum empower your strikes. You gain the following benefits:
+1 strength or +1 constitution
On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

Sharpshooter
You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain
the following benefits:
+1 dexterity or +1 constitution
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
Your ranged weapon attacks ignore cover provided by other creatures.
(could keep the original cover reduction but personally I find it makes archery more boring by flat out bypassing all but full cover)

i am still double checking my math on how this effects monks but so far it doesn't step on the toes of high level fighters.

Rerem115
2018-12-21, 08:12 PM
The way I see it, this is all pretty much a straight buff to martial weapon-using classes. If that was your goal, great, but know that by baking the biggest parts of Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master into the basic combat system, you're going to see a not insignificant increase in the overall damage being thrown around at your table. This is going to be more noticeable at early levels, since barring VHumans, nobody's ordinarily going to have the -X/+2X mechanic, and as they level, they're going to be hitting a 20 in their main stat at least a couple levels earlier.

As for your Fighting Style changes, I'm not too happy with Dueling. I'd personally rate +1/+1 at LEAST as good as +0/+2, if not better. It reduces variance, which adds damage, while still adding damage. I'd suggest leaving it at +0/+2, but since you used that for Great Weapon Fighting Style, that's probably not the play. Instead, then, I'd suggest something that's not a buff to stats, something like this:

Dueling--You gain an additional reaction. You can only use this reaction to make Attacks of Opportunity (melee only?).

Alternatively,
Dueling--When you miss with an attack, you can use your reaction to re-roll it with Disadvantage (melee only?).

Also, I just noticed that as written, Great Weapon Fighting, Throwing Weapon Fighting, and Archery all stack as long as you use a bow or a non-hand crossbow, since Thrown doesn't specify a weapon and Great Weapon Fighting only requires two hands. So, with some creative multiclassing and/or playing a Champion, you could wreak some serious havoc, especially with the free Sharpshooter built into the combat system.

Vessyra
2018-12-22, 05:33 AM
Rogues will find the change in two-weapon fighting really powerful in the lower levels, then really weak in levels five and above, once they have uncanny dodge. The other material classes will also suffer from differences in power over different levels, what with no longer needing feats for some things and multi classes allowing for the stacking of fighting styles. 5e isn't geared towards OP builds, so as long as it isn't game-breaking (which this stuff isn't) it should be good.

However, this does make it extra important to lay down what level you will reach over the course of the campaign, or if this will even last long enough to be a proper campaign.

Also, I feel the defence fighting style is quite powerful. Moving attacks toward a powerful person is a really strong ability.

I can literally see nothing else bad about this home-brew.

stoutstien
2018-12-22, 05:55 PM
The way I see it, this is all pretty much a straight buff to martial weapon-using classes. If that was your goal, great, but know that by baking the biggest parts of Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master into the basic combat system, you're going to see a not insignificant increase in the overall damage being thrown around at your table. This is going to be more noticeable at early levels, since barring VHumans, nobody's ordinarily going to have the -X/+2X mechanic, and as they level, they're going to be hitting a 20 in their main stat at least a couple levels earlier.

As for your Fighting Style changes, I'm not too happy with Dueling. I'd personally rate +1/+1 at LEAST as good as +0/+2, if not better. It reduces variance, which adds damage, while still adding damage. I'd suggest leaving it at +0/+2, but since you used that for Great Weapon Fighting Style, that's probably not the play. Instead, then, I'd suggest something that's not a buff to stats, something like this:

Dueling--You gain an additional reaction. You can only use this reaction to make Attacks of Opportunity (melee only?).

Alternatively,
Dueling--When you miss with an attack, you can use your reaction to re-roll it with Disadvantage (melee only?).

Also, I just noticed that as written, Great Weapon Fighting, Throwing Weapon Fighting, and Archery all stack as long as you use a bow or a non-hand crossbow, since Thrown doesn't specify a weapon and Great Weapon Fighting only requires two hands. So, with some creative multi-classing and/or playing a Champion, you could wreak some serious havoc, especially with the free Sharpshooter built into the combat system.

-2/+4 at low lvs is a lot easier to deal with as a dm compared to -5/+10. i may make it only once per round but this is going to take a lot of table play to see how it actually impacts the game.

duelist +1/+1 is boring but i wanted to keep styles simple bonuses that are somewhat equal.

i need to clean up the wording a tad to keep a few of the styles from stacking. great weapon should be melee only and thrown weapon needs to be limited to weapons with the thrown weapon property.