PDA

View Full Version : RPG Web Profiler Down

tarlen
2007-09-22, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

Just letting you all know what's happening with RPG Web Profiler at the moment. In short - I don't know.

The host provider, Jatol, appears to be having some trouble at the moment (their site is gone too), and I imagine they have a whole lot of paying customers screaming at them. As far as I am aware, there is only one person that can fix it, and no-one can find him.

I can't provide any information as to when the site will be available again, if at all. Unfortunately, I also don't have access to the character data (Jatol also managed the backups).

Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but I can't give any more info. My suggestion is to either set up your own instance of the profiler (anywhere you have a PHP 4+ enabled host), or use The Tangled Web (http://www.thetangledweb.net/) as a host.

If I get any new information, I'll pass it on.

13_CBS
2007-09-22, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info, but it's sadly very OFN (old ****ing news).

tarlen
2007-09-22, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I've been out of town for a couple of weeks without computer access.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-23, 12:54 AM
Are any web-based 3e Profiler sites NOT down?

Attilargh
2007-09-23, 05:37 AM
Coyote Code (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/) and Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/) seem to be working just fine.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-23, 05:45 AM
I give it a week. Then rogue space debris will come crashing down on their servers while (simultaneously) escaped lions are chewing on them.

Then everything explodes.

namo
2007-09-23, 07:52 AM
coyotecode is down right now. I had just made a new character there, and I didn't have time to back it up, so I hope it's temporary. :smallmad:

Attilargh
2007-09-23, 07:56 AM
It's working just fine for me. Puzzling. :smallconfused:

namo
2007-09-23, 08:05 AM
It seems the registration for coyotecode.net has expired - at least here in the US. Could you give me the IP address of the website ?

(Under Windows, it should be something like Start Menu > Run. Type "cmd" then Enter. A terminal window appears. Type "ping www.coyotecode.net" + Enter and look for a sequence that looks like '123.45.67.189' - apologies if you know this already.)

Attilargh
2007-09-23, 08:10 AM
Didn't know, so no problem. The IP's 69.65.19.206.

ufo
2007-09-23, 08:14 AM
I have two very very important character sheets at RPGWebProfiler. Oh damn, if it's not up again soon, I'm screwed..

namo
2007-09-23, 08:19 AM
Very puzzling - even like this it doesn't work for me. I'm PMing you to ask for a favor - namely if you can save my sheets for me. :smallredface:

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-23, 11:43 AM
playrpgonline (http://playrpgonline.net/3eprofiler/) still works.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-23, 12:48 PM
I've recreated one character already on the board I was using him on, and will probably be redoing at least two or three others on myth-weavers (as I like the fancy do-dads on their template).

In other words, I've surrendered to deletion.

kjones
2007-09-23, 01:20 PM
How exactly does one go about setting up one's own profiler on one's own website? Is there a tutorial/FAQ/something anywhere online?

ufo
2007-09-24, 08:18 AM
Are there any news? It's ****ing fricking important I get to those two sheets.

If the site isn't going to make it, is there a way I can retrieve those sheets?

Ashtar
2007-09-24, 09:00 AM
Try maybe google cache by typing the names of your characters in google and site:... it might work (1/1000 odds, give or take).

Eg: "paladin site:rpgwebprofiler.net" returns several characters still in the cache.

Edit: And remember to "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

squishycube
2007-09-24, 09:27 AM
How exactly does one go about setting up one's own profiler on one's own website? Is there a tutorial/FAQ/something anywhere online?
Reading the manual often helps. I did a quick test install of the newest version of RPGWebProfiler and didn't run into any trouble. I used the manual and my previous experience of installing 3eProfiler. (Which is the one I run on my own webspace.)

dauphinous
2007-09-24, 11:09 AM
coyotecode is down right now. I had just made a new character there, and I didn't have time to back it up, so I hope it's temporary. :smallmad:

Coyote (the site Admin) is working on it. He was on vacation this weekend when it happened.

tarlen
2007-09-24, 02:52 PM
Are there any news? It's ****ing fricking important I get to those two sheets.

If the site isn't going to make it, is there a way I can retrieve those sheets?
Sorry, no news, and I can't promise anything at all.

If the Google suggestion doesn't work, then unfortunately you're probably out of luck.

I'm still trying though.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-24, 03:07 PM
Coyote (the site Admin) is working on it. He was on vacation this weekend when it happened.
And this is why professional software companies of any sort, from Microsoft down to the cheapy webhosters, work in teams rather than having one guy control a project entirely. Because when (not if, this is software we're talking about) a massive problem occurs, that means there's more than one guy in the entire company who can fix it.

Yuki Akuma
2007-09-24, 03:49 PM
And this is why professional software companies of any sort, from Microsoft down to the cheapy webhosters, work in teams rather than having one guy control a project entirely. Because when (not if, this is software we're talking about) a massive problem occurs, that means there's more than one guy in the entire company who can fix it.

Free service. You get what you pay for.

Jack Mann
2007-09-24, 03:52 PM
Yes, but that's because professional software companies have a budget for that sort of thing. Joe (to make up a name), who set up a site because he thought it'd be fun and useful for others, does not have money to hire folks to watch for problems 24/7.

And professional software companies generally have no interest in hosting character sheet services for internet D&D enthusiasts. RPGwebprofiler.net was probably the closest you'd find to something like that, but now that they're gone, we're limited to outfits like Coyotecode and Tangled Web, who do the best they can.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-24, 04:03 PM
Exactly. I'm not complaining, just explaining how non-amateurs do it.

Anyway, here's a quick rundown on how to search for the remaining cached sheets in google:

1. Enter the search string "(Readonly) site:rpgwebprofiler.net" (no quotes) into a google search.
1a. If you're sure of the title of your character sheet, use that in place of (Readonly).
2. Click the "repeat search with omitted results included" link, if you used something that got a lot of results.
3. Go through up to about 140 sheets if you search for (Readonly).

Emperor Tippy
2007-09-24, 04:09 PM
Coyote Code is back up again.