PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] - Rogue archetype - counterpuncher

superninja109
2018-12-29, 09:05 AM
Rogue: Counterpuncher
Counterpunchers are rascals who excel when their back against the wall. They turn opponents attacks to their advantage and always punch back. This subclass is focused on utilizing your reaction.

Counterpunch
Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your cunning action to assume a defensive stance until the beginning of your next turn. When in this stance, you have a +1 bonus to AC. Additionally, while in a defensive stance, if a creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to immediately make one melee attack against the creature that hit you.

Underdog’s Wiles
Your fast talking enables you to escape the most precarious of situations. When talking to a creature with an intelligence of 6 or more for at least 1 minute, you can force the creature to make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + prof + Charisma modifier). On a failed save, you can impose one of the following conditions on the creature for 1 minute:
• The creature has disadvantage on all Wisdom(Perception) checks.
• The creature becomes hostile to you.
• The creature unintentionally but truthfully answers one yes or no question of yours. (you can only use this once per long rest)
• You have advantage on Dexterity(Sleight of Hand) checks against the target.

Unbalancing Defense
Starting at 13th level, when you use your Uncanny Dodge feature against a melee weapon or unarmed attack, your attacker must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus) or fall prone.

Reactionist
Starting at 17th level, if you have less than half of your hit points remaining, all attacks made using your reaction gain advantage.

GalacticAxekick
2018-12-29, 11:20 AM
Counterpunch
Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your cunning action to assume a defensive stance. When in this stance, if a creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to immediately make one melee attack against the creature that hit you. Your attack roll has disadvantage.Costing a bonus action sucks because the player has to anticipate being hit. If they arent hit, they just threw their cunning action away.

Making the attack at disadvantage sucks because the player will rarely get results, and NEVER get exciting results (a sneak attack). Why would I ever use this reaction when I could use Uncanny Dodge?

Unbalancing Defense
Starting at 9th level, when you use your Uncanny Dodge feature against a melee weapon or unarmed attack, your attacker must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus) or fall prone.This feature is better, but a Rogue's 9th level feature is never a combat feature. It's either a tool for exploration or interaction.

Dogged Attacker
Starting at 13th level, when you are subjected to an area effect that you avoid taking any damage from as a result of your Evasion feature, you may use your reaction to move up to half your speed and make one weapon attack against the caster/user of the effect that triggered this ability.How often is a Rogue within 15 feet of the caster who just Fireballed them? Area effects are rarely used at ranges that close, meaning this feature rarely does anything.

Reactionist
Starting at 17th level, if you have less than half of your hit points remaining, you may take two reactions per round. Additionally, if you have less than half of your hit points remaining, all attacks made using your reaction gain advantage.This is a potential three sneak attacks per round, or 3d8+30d6+5 (123.5) damage. For free. A Rogue could even injure themself to make this available at 5he start of every battle.

superninja109
2018-12-29, 04:28 PM
Costing a bonus action sucks because the player has to anticipate being hit. If they arent hit, they just threw their cunning action away.

Making the attack at disadvantage sucks because the player will rarely get results, and NEVER get exciting results (a sneak attack). Why would I ever use this reaction when I could use Uncanny Dodge?

This feature is better, but a Rogue's 9th level feature is never a combat feature. It's either a tool for exploration or interaction.

How often is a Rogue within 15 feet of the caster who just Fireballed them? Area effects are rarely used at ranges that close, meaning this feature rarely does anything.

This is a potential three sneak attacks per round, or 3d8+30d6+5 (123.5) damage. For free. A Rogue could even injure themself to make this available at 5he start of every battle.
You make a number of excellent points. I was worried about the reactionist feature, and it seems my fears were justified. I tried to buff the counterpunch by giving a +1 to AC while in the stance. I have edited the original post. How's this?