PDA

View Full Version : Horatio's Weapon Reworks

Lord Von Becker
2018-12-29, 04:24 PM
Hey! I had a whole bunch of Fighter reworks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577038-Fighter-Reworks&p=23594218#post23594218), a TWF rework, and some supplementary stuff for the latter (like a Paladin feat that was more on-theme than dual wielding).
It grew a whole lot. I split them into different threads. I noticed more issues to fix and cool things to add. It grew more. This is now my general weapon thread.
I'd love to hear your feedback!

Two-Weapon Fighting (Base Rule)
If you are holding a Light weapon in each hand, then immediately after making an attack with one of them, you may take a bonus action to attack with the other. Do not add your base ability modifier to the damage of this second attack.
(To be very clear, this applies to Strength, Dexterity, and things like shillelagh which substitute another stat for them, but not to things like Aura of Hatred or Lifedrinker.)
If you have the Extra Attack feature, you may attack as many times with this bonus action as you could with a regular one, but you still donít add your ability modifier to the damage.
If you have the Action Surge feature, then on any turn you use it to take two attack actions, you may make a second (set of) bonus attack(s) as a free action.

Dual Wielding (Replaces the Fighting Style confusingly named Two-Weapon Fighting)
You may treat any one-handed weapon as a Light weapon.
Light Crossbows count as one-handed weapons for you.
If you hold a polearm in two hands, you may count each end as a one-handed weapon with a damage die of 1d8. (One end of a polearm typically does bludgeoning damage, unless you've had it customized.)
You may use a Versatile weapon's two-handed damage if you are holding it in one hand and holding a weapon which would have the Light property without this style in the other.

Commentary: I'm not the only one to have come up with this fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22980216&postcount=5), but I did come up with it independently. It very slightly outdamages Great Weapon Fighting - an average of 2/3 of an HP per attack - but it does lock up the bonus action.

Two Weapon Mastery (Replaces the Feat I can't see because I don't have PHB access right now)
You can draw and/or drop as many weapons with one action as you can make attacks with that action.
You gain the following benefits when you are holding a Light weapon in each hand:
*When you miss an opponent with a melee weapon attack, you have Advantage on your next attack roll against them. If you havenít attacked them by the end of your next turn, this Advantage expires.
*You may spend a bonus action to enter a defensive stance until your next turn. While in the defensive stance you have +2 AC, and if an opponent misses you with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to make a single melee attack against them.

If you have the Dual Wielder Fighting Style, entering this defensive stance grants +3 AC instead of +2.

Commentary: This is a really good trick for Rogues, as it should be. The idea of enabling ripostes came from this post by Lalliman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22985928&postcount=9), but its implementation is my own.
Attack Aggregation (Base Rule)
If you make three or more attack rolls against one target, on your turn or as part of your reaction, you may choose to aggregate them.

When you choose to aggregate attacks, determine which features would apply if they hit, and roll all associated damage.
Then make two attack rolls. If the aggregated attacks were made with multiple ability modifiers, pick whichever one(s) you prefer.
For each of the two rolls which hit, deal half the total damage you calculated.

Commentary: This doubles as a way to let martials do some burst damage if they need to, such as for breaking the concentration of someone with Stoneskin up.

Group Attacks (Optional Rule)
When attacking many things at once, roll the damage once. Everything you targeted makes a Dexterity saving throw against a DC of 10 plus the attack modifier, or take that damage.
If you'd have had Advantage to hit something with an attack, it has Disadvantage on the save.
If you attack something multiple times as part of a group attack, they have to make the save as many times as you attack them.
(A/N: In case it wasn't obvious, this is because splitting die-rolling duties between the people responsible for updating their characters' HP is pretty clearly the reason "roll your own saves" is a thing in the first place. I'm not sure how that got missed when they were making Volley and Whirlwind Attack.)

(Ranged weapon stuff is in the next post.)

Daggers gain the following special rule:
When holding a dagger in one hand, you may treat any one-handed melee weapon in your other hand as a light weapon.

Flails and Scimitars are now considered Monk weapons, and added to the Monk proficiencies. For mechanical purposes, nunchaku may be considered either Flails or Clubs.

The club gains the special rule that if you are holding one in each hand while proficient with them, you gain +2 AC. This usually represents tonfa/nightsticks. (At most levels this is balanced well against other options, but once Monks get a d8 Martial Arts die, it's a bonus with no tradeoffs. So I'm attempting to buff their other options to match, as seen in the next section.)

On a not-entirely-TWF-related note, the greatclub deals 1d6+2 damage, and gains the Heavy property. This is because a Druid carrying a small, magically weaponized tree in both hands ought to deal damage at least on par with a greataxe. (Also because huge clubs ought to be at least a little heftier than walking sticks, and Druids with War Caster or Archdruid should have a decent melee option besides grabbing two tonfas and turning them into ironwood monstrosities.)

The Blowgun is considered a Simple weapon, and by proxy a Monk weapon. Because the Monk is also the Ninja, and making them only barely viable for Rogues (who have somehow gained Proficiency with them) was a mistake.

The Whip may deal 1 thunder damage instead of 1d4 slashing.
You may always draw a thrown weapon as part of making an attack with it.
You may make attacks with two-handed weapons using only one hand, but you have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Now, these fixes are great for the fluff-crunch correlation in some areas, but they've broken it in others. These are the patches I've applied:

First, the Monk thing. It's not the first thing I fixed, but it's the most recent thing I broke.
Martial Arts Improvement (New 10th level feature for Monks)
You may treat any simple Monk weapon except for Clubs as having the Reach property, whenever you like. This usually represents swinging it from a wire, rope, or chain.
Whenever you would make an unarmed strike, you may instead choose to attack with a Monk weapon you are holding.
When you use a martial monk weapon or an unarmed strike with an empty hand, add 1 to its damage roll.

Update: This 'buff the other options' thing had more iterations than I'd expected. It started as a 'give non-tonfa bludgeoning weapons Reach, because the others can be poisoned'. I hadn't realized that Reach can be a disadvantage, (though I think I'd still phrased it as optional,) or that my poison fix wasn't that useful for melee.
Then I remembered how cool the kusarigama was in Kubo and the Two Strings, and decided that chain-sickles, razor yo-yos, flying guillotines etc. should be allowed.
Then, because I didn't love the idea of making the unarmed monks, nunchaku wielders, and sword-without-a-chain-on-the-hilt folks less powerful than their fellows, I essentially gave them the Dueling bonus.
Hopefully they don't overshadow the other martials with this. The bonuses aren't that big, but 'Monk 10 emulates a fighting style' has been there since my TWF fix. At least I like the flavor!

Next up, the first thing I fixed. I didn't want moderately optimized-for-damage paladins to need two-weapon-fighting, so I devised a new feat:
Soulfire
Prerequisite: Divine Smite feature
As a bonus action you may wrap a weapon you are holding in spiritual flames. If the weapon uses ammunition, the flames spread to it as it is loaded.
The flames last for one round and shed bright light for five feet and dim light for another five feet.
When make an attack with a weapon wrapped in these flames, it deals an additional amount of fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) on hit, and counts as two melee weapon attacks for purposes of your Divine Smite feature.

This had the happy side effects of allowing Archer and Slinger Paladins to be moderately competitive, and of making sword-using ones a little better at damage output than Polearm Masters. But then I realized how many Smites per turn a Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 17 could dish out, especially with my Fighter rework, and I remembered how unfun it actually sounded to oneshot boss characters. (With a few exceptions, of course.) So I added this:

Smite Limits
You may not use the Divine Smite or Eldritch Smite features more than three times in one turn.

And then I realized that by making Two-Weapon Fighting (and therefore Dexterity-based melee DPR) competitive with Great Weapons, I'd made Strength even less powerful by comparison. So I came up with:

Hardened Body (Optional Rule)
Any time you would add your Dexterity modifier to your AC, you may add your Strength modifier instead.

Hopefully, adding Strength to your Grapple check is roughly on par with adding Dexterity to your Initiative. They do sort of fill the same role.
There's one more fix that I wasn't originally expecting to make here, but came to me so quickly (I think I must have come up with it and then forgot it until halfway through my Martial Arts add-on) that I decided to do it. It's also gone through a couple of iterations!

If you have a free hand and access to a source of poison, you may take an action to poison a weapon which deals Slashing or Piercing damage, or a piece of ammunition for one. Most poisons cannot be used on melee weapons with the Heavy property; the larger wounds they deal bleed too quickly, washing them out.

Poisons suitable for ammunition usually dry out and lose their potency in one minute or less.

When you make an attack with a poisoned weapon or piece of ammunition, it deals an additional 3d4 Poison damage and loses its poisoned status.

If you are proficient with the poisoner's kit, you may apply poison as a bonus action.

You can usually find a source of poison with a survival check, or buy ten doses for 1 gp.

Poison Master (new feat)
You've mastered the art of applying poisons to debilitate as well as to harm, and mixing them to bypass the more common forms of immunity.
Whenever you hit a creature with a poisoned weapon, all attack rolls against it have advantage until your next turn.
When you apply a poison, you may change its damage type to Necrotic. If it's still there in 1 minute, it changes back. You may take a bonus action to refresh the change.

And because it made sense to do so, and had some delightful secondary effects, I came up with this.
Blessing a weapon (or piece of ammunition) is very similar to poisoning one.
Aside from dealing Radiant damage instead of poison, being possible to use with Bludgeoning weapons, and only dealing extra damage (and expending its blessing) when it hits Fiends, Undead, Fae and Celestials the wielder is hostile to, a blessed weapon is treated as mechanically identical to a poisoned one.

One flask of holy water can be used to bless weapons or ammunition ten times.
Clerics and Paladins can also bless weapons or ammunition as a bonus action by saying a prayer.

Weapons cannot be blessed and poisoned at the same time, although ammunition can. Because of this, most good-aligned clerics and paladins view poisoned weaponry with suspicion - it clearly isn't intended for fighting the real enemy.

Lord Von Becker
2019-01-03, 04:57 PM
You know how well-used bows apparently have a much better firerate than one per second (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Andersen_(archer))? Let's have an option to represent that. (I'll also put my sling fix here, since this is what it's balanced against.)

New weapon property:
Rapid. When making an attack with this weapon, you may determine its damage first, and then distribute that damage between some number of component attacks. (The number of component attacks is shown in brackets beside the property.)
If you don't assign a component attack at least one damage, it isn't made.

The Shortbow gains Rapid (3).

The Longbow gains Rapid (2), and its damage becomes 2d4.

The Sling is considered a Martial ranged weapon, deals 1d10 bludgeoning damage, and has the properties Ammunition (range 150/600) and Loading. The other one is actually a slingshot.

The Archery fighting style also grants the following ability:
As a bonus action on your turn, you may take aim. Until your next turn, you ignore the normal disadvantage on ranged weapon attacks at a weapon's long range or against things within 5 feet of you.

I also have some ideas for guns. Guns may not always fit the aesthetic you're looking for, but it's nice to have the option. These should be reasonably well-balanced against existing weapons.
(On a side note, I have not read the Unearthed Arcana guns; these are inspired by the original Alter A.I.L.A. (https://rpgmaker.net/games/268/) with a dash of Zokusho (http://waywardcross.com), plus a wikiwalk or two.)

*Archery only grants +1 to attack rolls with a gun.
*Great Weapon Fighting may be used with any weapon which has the Versatile property, provided you are wielding it in two hands.
*You can't gain the effects of more than one fighting style at a time.
*If a ranged weapon has the Versatile property, it applies even to ranged attacks. (Whee, fixing pointless RAW.)

Name

Damage
Traits

Weight
Used By

Handgun

1d8 piercing
Ammunition (range 100/150), Clip (8), Special

2 lbs.
Rogues, Monks (as a Monk Weapon), and everyone proficient in all martial weapons

Revolver
1d8 piercing
Ammunition (range 100/150), Clip (6), Versatile (2d6)

3 lbs.
Rogues, Druids, Warlocks, and everyone proficient in all martial weapons

Repeater
3d4 piercing
Ammunition (range 600/1000), Clip (15), Two-handed

9 lbs.
Everyone proficient in all martial weapons*

Submachine Gun
1d8 piercing
Ammunition (range 80/150), Clip (10), Rapid (3), Versatile (1d12)
10 lbs.
Bards*, Monks (as a monk weapon), Rouges, and everyone proficient in all martial weapons

Shotgun
1d10 thunder
Ammunition (range 30/120), Finesse, Heavy, Special
8 lbs.
All classes*

(*Asterisks indicate something in the Notes.)

Ammunition
Cost
Weight
Effect

.45-caliber Bullets (30)
2 gp
1 lb.
Standard gun ammo

Buckshot Cartridges (12)
1 gp
1 lb.

Standard shotgun ammo

Shotgun Slugs (12)
1 gp
1 lb.

Doubles short and long range, change damage to piercing

Flechette Cartridges (24)
3 gp
2 lbs.
Shotgun damage becomes 1d8+2 piercing

Razorwire Grapeshot (24)
3 gp
2 lbs.
Shotgun damage becomes 1d8+2 slashing

Special Traits and Commentary

Handgun: You may treat this as a Light weapon with a damage of 1d8 -1. If you have another way to treat this as having the Light property, you can ignore this feature.
Notes: I was visualizing an M1911 or possibly a later generation Glock based on my wikiwalk for this. (Then again, I routinely confuse M16s with AK47s. I'm not precisely a gun nerd.) I also have no idea where the clip size came from - some story I read years ago, I think.

Revolver
Notes: Actually, I don't think the iconic Dirty Harry pistol shares ammo with the tommygun, but... one more Wikipedia search later, I can reasonably presume I was thinking of the Desert Eagle for the handgun's clip, because that's the Desert Eagle clip size which matches both the Big Revolver in question (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_29) and at least one of Those Rifles That Look A Bit Like A Winchester. (That said, I'm not planning to split off another ammo type, mostly because I don't have a good idea for how to handle it. They're already abstractions anyway.)

Repeater
Notes: Base damage is the highest of any weapon, at half an average-damage-point-per-hit better than a Greatsword, but gets slightly worse after Fighting Styles, which seems right to me. (It also uses Archery better than the twin pistols do, but it loses by 3/4ths of an ADPPH if they're used with Dual Wielder.)
Visually, I was thinking of the Henry rifle - I think it suits the Ranger's aesthetic pretty well.

Submachine Gun
Notes: I was picturing both tommyguns and machinepistols here. Stats are for the tommygun, which is why these are especially for Bards - "a Chicago Pianist typically carries their instrument in a violin case" is far too good a double-pun to pass up.
Machine pistols tend to be a lot lighter, though. If you actually care about the weight (and who knows, maybe D&D 5.5 will actually support AD&D-style heist games), I suggest the lighter ones be worth exactly as much more as the same level of weight-reducing enchantment.

Shotgun: If you are proficient with at least one martial ranged weapon you may ignore a shotgun's two-handed property or its loading property. Changing your choice is as simple as changing how you hold it.
Notes: This is well-suited to Barbarians, as it should be. It's also got some aesthetic resonance for Clerics.
The Special property is a joke based on Larry Correia's complaints about how pump shotguns get used in the movies. Now the competent folks can shoot without pausing! (Unless they're dual wielding, in which case they're clearly running on Rule of Cool anyway.)
Thunder damage may or may not make sense. It seems less bizarre than Bludgeoning, and more interesting than Piercing, but that would make it do full damage to barbarians and it just isn't quite as core to the image as the whip. Help?

Finally, here's some properties which can be added to any kind of ammunition (except maybe Blowgun needles), for a bit more effort and/or cost. You may make or buy ammunition with more than one of these properties.

Name
Additional Cost
Effect

Explosive
1 sp per piece
Change damage type to thunder

Incendiary
5 cp per piece
Change half the damage to fire

Named
1 sp per piece
Deal half damage (round up) on miss