PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Art Domain (and new spells)

Auroch
2018-12-31, 02:47 AM
Apollo, Brigid, Cao Guojiu, Desna; there is an art god for every letter of the alphabet, and many want mortal champions to protect both their favored artists and their works. This is a domain to represent the power they grant.

Art Domain

Granted Power: Appraise is a class skill for you, and you receive a +4 bonus on Craft(fine arts) checks and any Profession or Appraise check relating to art.

Spells:

Animate Sculpture (new)
Battle Hymn (spell compendium)
Stone Shape
Tongues
Mass Reflective Disguise (spell compendium)
Symphonic Nightmare (spell compendium)
Awestrike (new)
Triumphant Chord (renamed)
Otto's Irresistable Dance

Triumphant Chord is functionally equivalent to Lion's Roar (spell compendium), but rather than a roar the sound is a piercing, beautiful chord.

Animate Sculpture
Transmutation
Level: Art 1, Bard 1, Sorc/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: One Medium or smaller sculpture
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

By touching a sculpture, you release magical creative energy into it, and it moves to do your bidding.

This animates a sculpture, using the statistics for an animated object of its size. However, if it is not a well-made statue, the spell may leave it more fragile. On casting the spell, make a Craft(carving/fine art) roll, adding +2 for every 100gp of value the sculpture has as an art object and +6 if you created the sculpture personally. Compare this to the HP total of the appropriate animated object size (the average result). If your result equals or exceeds that, the statue is animated successfully. If not, use the largest size for which your result equals or exceeds the HP total, and halve the object's speed and hardness.
When you end the spell, if the animated statue was not destroyed, you may take a move action to make another Craft check, +6 for having created the statue personally and -5 for every 25% of the statue's HP it lost, against DC of its total (undamaged) HP. If you attempt this check and succeed, it retains its value as an art object when it deanimates.
This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature.

Awestrike
Enchantment[Mind-Affecting, Compulsion]
Level: Art 7, Bard 6, Sorc/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 100ft
Target: See text
Duration: See text

You envelop yourself in an aura of majesty, striking enemies near you stunned by your greatness.

When you finish casting this spell, make a turning check and turning damage roll, as a cleric of your caster level and with your primary spellcasting modifier in place of Charisma.
Rather than turning/rebuking undead, you are rebuking all non-ally creatures with a mind within 100ft. Creatures of animal intelligence (Int 1-2) are treated as having +4 turn resistance for this check, and creatures of your type are treated as having -2 turn resistance. (Animal intelligence supersedes the shared type.)
Rebuked creatures cower for 1 round/level before the awe wears off. (This awe is a supernatural effect and is not a compulsion.) Creatures which would become commanded obey unquestioningly for 1 round/level, after which they do not unquestioningly obey your orders but remain charmed, as charm person, for 10 minutes/level. (This is a supernatural compulsion effect. Creatures immune to compulsions instead receive the rebuke effect.)
Special: For every 5 ranks in your highest Perform skill or Craft(fine art), get a +2 bonus on your turning check and +1d6 on the turning damage roll.

Side note: For the campaign I intend this for, I'm rejiggering Craft subskills significantly. The available subskills are alchemy, carving (which includes bows), fine arts, masonry, mechanical (including traps and crossbows), smithing, tailoring, and writing. I'm also changing some other things, but those aren't relevant to this domain.

Extra side note: I was amazed that I couldn't find anyone who'd made a homebrew Art domain for 3.5 anywhere.

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-01, 07:50 PM
Apollo, Brigid, Cao Guojiu, Desna; there is an art god for every letter of the alphabet, and many want mortal champions to protect both their favored artists and their works. This is a domain to represent the power they grant.

Art Domain

Granted Power: Appraise is a class skill for you, and you receive a +4 bonus on Craft(fine arts) checks and any Profession or Appraise check relating to art.

Spells:

Animate Sculpture (new)
Battle Hymn (spell compendium)
Stone Shape
Tongues
Mass Reflective Disguise (spell compendium)
Symphonic Nightmare (spell compendium)
Awestrike (new)
Triumphant Chord (renamed)
Otto's Irresistable Dance

Triumphant Chord is functionally equivalent to Lion's Roar (spell compendium), but rather than a roar the sound is a piercing, beautiful chord.

Animate Sculpture
Transmutation
Level: Art 1, Bard 1, Sorc/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: One Medium or smaller sculpture
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level

By touching a sculpture, you release magical creative energy into it, and it moves to do your bidding.

This animates a sculpture, using the statistics for an animated object of its size. However, if it is not a well-made statue, the spell may leave it more fragile. On casting the spell, make a Craft(carving/fine art) roll, adding +2 for every 100gp of value the sculpture has as an art object and +6 if you created the sculpture personally. Compare this to the HP total of the appropriate animated object size (the average result). If your result equals or exceeds that, the statue is animated successfully. If not, use the largest size for which your result equals or exceeds the HP total, and halve the object's speed and hardness.
When you end the spell, if the animated statue was not destroyed, you may take a move action to make another Craft check, +6 for having created the statue personally and -5 for every 25% of the statue's HP it lost, against DC of its total (undamaged) HP. If you attempt this check and succeed, it retains its value as an art object when it deanimates.
This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature.

Awestrike
Enchantment[Mind-Affecting, Compulsion]
Level: Art 7, Bard 6, Sorc/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 100ft
Target: See text
Duration: See text

You envelop yourself in an aura of majesty, striking enemies near you stunned by your greatness.

When you finish casting this spell, make a turning check and turning damage roll, as a cleric of your caster level and with your primary spellcasting modifier in place of Charisma.
Rather than turning/rebuking undead, you are rebuking all non-ally creatures with a mind within 100ft. Creatures of animal intelligence (Int 1-2) are treated as having +4 turn resistance for this check, and creatures of your type are treated as having -2 turn resistance. (Animal intelligence supersedes the shared type.)
Rebuked creatures cower for 1 round/level before the awe wears off. (This awe is a supernatural effect and is not a compulsion.) Creatures which would become commanded obey unquestioningly for 1 round/level, after which they do not unquestioningly obey your orders but remain charmed, as charm person, for 10 minutes/level. (This is a supernatural compulsion effect. Creatures immune to compulsions instead receive the rebuke effect.)
Special: For every 5 ranks in your highest Perform skill or Craft(fine art), get a +2 bonus on your turning check and +1d6 on the turning damage roll.

Side note: For the campaign I intend this for, I'm rejiggering Craft subskills significantly. The available subskills are alchemy, carving (which includes bows), fine arts, masonry, mechanical (including traps and crossbows), smithing, tailoring, and writing. I'm also changing some other things, but those aren't relevant to this domain.

Extra side note: I was amazed that I couldn't find anyone who'd made a homebrew Art domain for 3.5 anywhere.

Wonderful.

rferries
2019-01-02, 02:44 AM
Nice, though I'd grant Perform as the granted power (with a +4 bonus on Appraise/Craft/Knowledge/Perform/Profession checks related to art).

Animate statue seems a bit complex - maybe just a lesser animate objects-type version and a permanent "Galatea"-type version?

Enthrall, good hope, crushing despair, and similar spells would seem a good fit for the domain too, as well as rainbow pattern-type "portrait" spells.