PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Android

lunaticfringe
2019-01-03, 11:02 PM
I'm planning/hoping to run the Iron Gods Pathfinder AP in 5e. I've been on the fence about allowing Androids as a playable race but I figured I might as well attempt to brew something for interested players. Thanks in advance for any feedback/ideas.

My goal is to make them less Constructy and more just manufactured humans with a few synthetic bits & nanites while giving them more Nanite Surge options.

Link to Pathfinder Android (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/android-16-rp/)

Android

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence; +1 Dexterity

Size: Medium

Speed: 30ft

Type: Humanoid(Android)

Age: Android bodies are maintained by their nanites and show no physical signs of aging. It is theorized that their bodies cannot die due to old age.

Every 65 years an android falls into a week long state of suspended animation afterwards they awaken with no memories of their life prior to that point. The re-awakened android maintains the gross & fine motor skills of an adult human and knowledge of 2 languages but it is otherwise a completely new individual.

Alignment: Androids tend towards no particular alignment.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice.

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Efficient Sleep Cycle: You don't require 8 hours of sleep. You gain the same benefit from 4 hours of sleep that a human does from 8 hours of sleep. Androids are capable of dreaming.

Nanite Colony: Your body contains a symbiotic colony of self replicating, microscopic machines that help maintain your health. You have advantage on saving throws against poison & disease.

Nanite Surge: You can consciously cause your nanites to temporarily become hyperactive aiding you in different ways. You learn one type of nanite surge at level 1 and another when you reach level 5. When you activate your nanite surge your markings glow softly until the end of your next turn. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Healing Surge: As a reaction when you take damage or on your turn you can regain a number of hit points equal to your level.

Revitalizing Surge: If you would gain a level of Exhaustion you can use your reaction to prevent it. Alternatively, if you have any Exhaustion levels you can use Revitalizing Surge to reduce it by 1 level.

Combat Surge: When you hit a target with an Attack Roll you can use your reaction you gain a bonus to damage rolls against that target until the end of your turn. The bonus damage equals your proficiency bonus.

Masterful Surge: When you make an Ability Check you can use your Nanite Surge to gain a bonus to the roll equal to your class level.

Deft Surge: As a reaction on your turn you can use your Nanite Surge to gain +10 to your movement speed and gain a bonus to your AC against Opportunity Attacks until the end of your turn. The bonus to your AC equals your proficiency bonus.

Androids qualify for the Prodigy Human Racial feat

Upgraded Nanites
Requires Android, Character Level 8

+1 Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence

You can select an additional type of Nanite Surge.

You gain an additional use of your Nanite Surge racial trait when you take this feat and again level 12. You regain all uses when you complete a long rest.

John Out West
2019-01-04, 01:14 AM
Is there a reason they have increased Dex instead of Strength? Typically robots have much greater strength than humans, but only extremely complex robots are more dexterous at everyday things. I'm really not impressed when a robot lifts a car, but if it can catch a ball that's actually a feat of engineering. Pathfinder typically gives negative scores (Something i abhor) so you might also want to give it a negative to Wisdom and Charisma, as robots tend to have no common sense and trouble communicating. That being said its an Android not a Robot, so I would let it keep its Charisma.

Darkvision is cool, but its a cliche to give anything Darkvision that doesn't need it. Giving it darkvision makes me think that they have a Terminator style heat vision, instead of a more normal pixilated vision. I would let darkvision be part of a upgrade or feat rather than right out of the box.

I'm not sure about the game you're going to be playing in, but it has androids so i'm assuming its in a futuristic setting. What you could replace darkvision with is a scanning vision, where it can quickly identify people, places, or things based on their internet presence and a perception check. Essentially they can replace all knowledge checks with perception checks as long as they have a connection to the web. Again, I'm just assuming a world with androids has the internet.

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-01-04, 05:02 AM
I like it. I've done a similar, more biological, android race before so I'm glad to see more like it.

Ability Scores: I like Intelligence, but not Dexterity. Constitution would fit well, as would just letting Androids get a +1 to two other ability scores in addition to Intelligence.

Nanite Surge: Also a good ability. I would copy Volo's Aasimar though, and have the Surge ability come online at level 5. Either way, Masterful Surge needs a fixing. Adding your whole class level, or even half, is kind of ridiculous. Giving them Proficiency or Double Proficiency for that check is far more in-line with 5e's math. Healing Surge could stand to be formatted as "reduce the damage by" instead of healing but that's not in any way a real issue.

Upgraded Nanite Surge Feat: Drop the "and again at level 12" part and you have a winner. No other feat works that way, and consistency of style is very important this edition.

Keep up the good work!

Arkhios
2019-01-04, 05:26 AM
Is there a reason they have increased Dex instead of Strength? Typically robots have much greater strength than humans, but only extremely complex robots are more dexterous at everyday things. I'm really not impressed when a robot lifts a car, but if it can catch a ball that's actually a feat of engineering. Pathfinder typically gives negative scores (Something i abhor) so you might also want to give it a negative to Wisdom and Charisma, as robots tend to have no common sense and trouble communicating. That being said its an Android not a Robot, so I would let it keep its Charisma.

It's probably purely because Androids in Pathfinder get the following adjustments with the following explanation. I guess OP wanted to keep the conversion of the race as close to its origins as possible, and frankly I don't see a reason why OP should re-think their abilities:

Androids have swift reflexes and are very intelligent, but have difficulty relating to others. As a result, androids gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and Intelligence, but suffer a –2 penalty to Charisma.

Blackbando
2019-01-04, 07:37 AM
Nanite Surge: Also a good ability. I would copy Volo's Aasimar though, and have the Surge ability come online at level 5.

Aasimar's transformation is at level 3, actually.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

lunaticfringe
2019-01-04, 09:01 AM
I like it. I've done a similar, more biological, android race before so I'm glad to see more like it.

Ability Scores: I like Intelligence, but not Dexterity. Constitution would fit well, as would just letting Androids get a +1 to two other ability scores in addition to Intelligence.

Nanite Surge: Also a good ability. I would copy Volo's Aasimar though, and have the Surge ability come online at level 5. Either way, Masterful Surge needs a fixing. Adding your whole class level, or even half, is kind of ridiculous. Giving them Proficiency or Double Proficiency for that check is far more in-line with 5e's math. Healing Surge could stand to be formatted as "reduce the damage by" instead of healing but that's not in any way a real issue.

Upgraded Nanite Surge Feat: Drop the "and again at level 12" part and you have a winner. No other feat works that way, and consistency of style is very important this edition.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah I was thinking about Constitution & Int, but I thought it made them a bit too "Wizardy" by Default. I Kept the Dex & Int because it's from the Original and mostly because it doesn't really matter to me personally. I allow my players to take +2/+1 in any 2 stats so I didn't put much thought into that.

I agree with Masterful Surge, I didn't really like it as I wrote. I felt like I needed something Skill based as an option because the pathfinder Surge is 3+level to a d20 roll. +Proficiency was my initial thought and I think I'm going to use that unless I drop it. I was going for a more Simic Hybrid thing with the Surges, they get a trait at 1 and 5 and I like that. I got some ideas I'm going rework them (and the feat) a bit later today.

Thanks for the input.

lunaticfringe
2019-01-04, 09:03 AM
It's probably purely because Androids in Pathfinder get the following adjustments with the following explanation. I guess OP wanted to keep the conversion of the race as close to its origins as possible, and frankly I don't see a reason why OP should re-think their abilities:

Yup. Also addressed in the post above a bit.

@John. It's not really a Futuristic setting and more Thundarr the Barbarian or Conan Vs Super Science. Basically a 40k Golden Age of Humanity Star Fortress crashed into a Fantasy setting in the distant past and future tech gets dug up (my first thought after reading the AP was to make a custom setting for it based off Gorkamorka =P) .

Android is a bit of a weird name for the race it think. Replicant or Synthetic is more fitting probably. They can be healed, raised, become undead, be infected by lycanthropy, and are eaten by local predators. So I wanted to make them more Meat and less Tech.

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-01-04, 07:55 PM
Aasimar's transformation is at level 3, actually

Whoops, derp! :smalltongue:

Yeah I was thinking about Constitution & Int, but I thought it made them a bit too "Wizardy" by Default. I Kept the Dex & Int because it's from the Original and mostly because it doesn't really matter to me personally. I allow my players to take +2/+1 in any 2 stats so I didn't put much thought into that.

I get it. Like I said, giving them an open +1 or so isn't bad either. I might ask you what role or class combos you were thinking about for them, actually. That might help you pick a more appropriate ASI.

I agree with Masterful Surge, I didn't really like it as I wrote. I felt like I needed something Skill based as an option because the pathfinder Surge is 3+level to a d20 roll. +Proficiency was my initial thought and I think I'm going to use that unless I drop it. I was going for a more Simic Hybrid thing with the Surges, they get a trait at 1 and 5 and I like that. I got some ideas I'm going rework them (and the feat) a bit later today.

Like I said (or tried to say), I don't know of any feat that levels up like that. It's a little too unique to fairly critique, you know? And with the level requirement, I don't think you need it. Just give them the power.

Good luck on the next draft!

Arkhios
2019-01-05, 12:50 PM
I get it. Like I said, giving them an open +1 or so isn't bad either. I might ask you what role or class combos you were thinking about for them, actually. That might help you pick a more appropriate ASI.

Like I said, and OP somewhat concurred, there's no need to re-iterate their racial adjustments. In fact, you could even keep the -2 to charisma as is, because it would be perfectly characteristic for the race. There is precendency for races having negative adjustments in official 5th edition races (for example Orcs from Volo's Guide with their -2 intelligence). Besides, if the setting is Golarion, it doesn't matter which system you are using: races are as they are in each setting. If Paizo (owners of Golarion) decided that their Androids are like this, why should we try to remake them into our own preferences? It's same with races of the Magic: The Gathering worlds. Each world have their own standards for their races, and while names might be same, statistics might not, and don't have to, align.

As for their assumed roles or classes, in 5th edition I would still put them squarely into arcane spellcasters because they are beings of advanced technology and in many ways arcane magic, especially in they way wizards use it, can be seen as advanced knowledge.

So, Arcane Tricksters, Arcane Archers, Artificers Eldritch Knights, and any Wizard. Perhaps even Mystic.