PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Archetype: Oath of Freedom

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-06, 12:31 PM
Oath of Freedom
Those who take the Oath of Freedom dedicate themselves to the cause of liberty and free thought.

Oath Spells

3rd: Grease, Longstrider
5th: Invisibility, Misty Step
9th: Beacon of Hope, Fly
13th: Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement
17th: Far Step, Teleportation Circle

Channel Divinity: When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Ye Shall Be Free: Your touch opens all bonds. As a bonus action, you may touch a creature and remove any of the following conditions: charmed, grappled, paralyzed, or restrained. Alternately, you may touch an object being held shut by a mundane lock or bar and have it become unlocked, unstuck, or unbarred. If you choose a target that is held shut with Arcane Lock, that spell is dispelled.
Rush to Freedom: As an action, you may touch an adjacent ally. Both of you gain advantage on Dexterity saving throws and do not provoke opportunity attacks for one minute. When you do so, your ally may use a reaction to move up to their speed.

Aura of Freedom: Beginning at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10ft of you have advantage on saves and checks to resist being charmed, grappled, or restrained. Friendly creatures (including yourself) that begin a turn within your aura of freedom gain a 10 ft increase in speed until the beginning of their next turn. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Emancipation: Beginning at 15th level, you may use a reaction to cast Remove Curse or Greater Restoration on yourself without providing any components, even if you are subject to a condition that would normally prevent you from doing so. Once you have used this ability, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

Spirit of Freedom: Beginning at 20th level, you can use your action to gain the following benefits for 1 hour:

Wings sprout from your back and grant you a flying speed of 60ft
You gain a +2 bonus to AC, advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and do not provoke opportunity attacks.
You may take one additional action on each turn, which can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, or Use an Object action.

Once you use this feature you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

theVoidWatches
2019-01-09, 12:08 PM
I like it. Simple enough and seems fairly balanced - nothing is jumping out at me as an issue.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-09, 12:25 PM
Oath of Freedom
Those who take the Oath of Freedom dedicate themselves to the cause of liberty and free though.

Oath Spells

Channel Divinity: When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Ye Shall Be Free: Your touch opens all bonds. As an action, you may touch a creature and remove any of the following conditions: charmed, grappled, paralyzed, or restrained. Alternately, you may touch an object being held shut by a mundane lock or bar and have it become unlocked, unstuck, or unbarred.
Rush to Freedom: As an action, you gain a +2 bonus to armor AC, advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and do not provoke opportunity attacks for one minute.

Aura of Freedom: Beginning at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10ft of you may ignore difficult terrain, and have advantage on saves and checks to resist being charmed, grappled, or restrained.

Emancipation: Beginning at 15th level, you may use a reaction to cast Remove Curve or Greater Restoration on yourself without providing any components, even if you are subject to a condition that would normally prevent you from doing so. Once you have used this ability, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

Spirit of Freedom: Beginning at 20th level, you can use your action to gain the following benefits for 1 hour:

You gain a +2 bonus to AC, advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and do not provoke opportunity attacks.
You may take one additional action on each turn, which can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, or Use an Object action.

The level 3 feature could use some love. Notably, the first ability seems a bit...empty? I'd update it to also remove a magical lock, so that it'd see a lot of regular use. The second ability is a bit too generic. I'd remove the AC bonus and allow you to touch one ally, granting them and you advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws and ability checks, and Disadvantage on Opportunity Attacks against you for one minute. It'd really create the feel of a Paladin who brings freedom to the battlefield in a dramatic in noticeable way.

Aura of Freedom seems perfectly fine with me, except granting immunity to Difficult Terrain is a bit too strong. I'd move this to the Rush to Freedom ability with my prior suggestion.

Spirit of Freedom: Fly + Haste. I really dig this. It falls in line with the other Paladins, and I think this is an awesome selection.

Overall, mobility is a bit underpowered in 5e, so any changes need to have a dramatic change in how players make their decisions (such as not provoking OA's for a minute), but while still making those elements you're bypassing still play a factor in the majority of events (like with the fact that the Channel Divinity only affects 1-2 people per short rest, and so OA's still affect most of the team most of the time). Making a mobility-based Paladin is really unique twist that I think is great, but make sure that any abilities the Paladin provides for the team are definitely noticeable without changing the entire game.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-09, 12:37 PM
I like it. Simple enough and seems fairly balanced - nothing is jumping out at me as an issue.
Thanks!

The level 3 feature could use some love. Notably, the first ability seems a bit...empty? I'd update it to also remove a magical lock, so that it'd see a lot of regular use. The second ability is a bit too generic. I'd remove the AC bonus and allow you to touch one ally, granting them and you advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws and ability checks, and Disadvantage on Opportunity Attacks against you for one minute. It'd really create the feel of a Paladin who brings freedom to the battlefield in a dramatic in noticeable way.

Aura of Freedom seems perfectly fine with me, except granting immunity to Difficult Terrain is a bit too strong. I'd move this to the Rush to Freedom ability with my prior suggestion.

Spirit of Freedom: Fly + Haste. I really dig this. It falls in line with the other Paladins, and I think this is an awesome selection.

Overall, mobility is a bit underpowered in 5e, so any changes need to have a dramatic change in how players make their decisions (such as not provoking OA's for a minute), but while still making those elements you're bypassing still play a factor in the majority of events (like with the fact that the Channel Divinity only affects 1-2 people per short rest, and so OA's still affect most of the team most of the time). Making a mobility-based Paladin is really unique twist that I think is great, but make sure that any abilities the Paladin provides for the team are definitely noticeable without changing the entire game.
Good ideas on the Channel Divinities.

You think difficult terrain immunity is too strong? I figured it as more of a ribbon than anything else-- at best (crossing difficult terrain from one side of the aura to the other) it's a +10ft boost to speed.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks!

Good ideas on the Channel Divinities.

You think difficult terrain immunity is too strong? I figured it as more of a ribbon than anything else-- at best (crossing difficult terrain from one side of the aura to the other) it's a +10ft boost to speed.

The main concern about it is that it completely overwrites some passive features with other classes (notably, the Ranger's Favored Terrain or the Land Druid's benefits). But with the size of the aura, you make a good point in that it doesn't change it THAT much.

Vogie
2019-01-09, 01:48 PM
Oath of Freedom
Those who take the Oath of Freedom dedicate themselves to the cause of liberty and free thought.

Oath Spells

Ye Shall Be Free: Your touch opens all bonds. As an action, you may touch a creature and remove any of the following conditions: charmed, grappled, paralyzed, or restrained. Alternately, you may touch an object being held shut by a mundane lock or bar and have it become unlocked, unstuck, or unbarred. If you choose a target that is held shut with Arcane Lock, that spell is dispelled.
Rush to Freedom: As an action, you may touch an adjacent ally. Both of you gain advantage on Dexterity saving throws and do not provoke opportunity attacks for one minute. When you do so, your ally may use a reaction to move up to half their speed.

Aura of Freedom: Beginning at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10ft of you may ignore difficult terrain, and have advantage on saves and checks to resist being charmed, grappled, or restrained.

Emancipation: Beginning at 15th level, you may use a reaction to cast Remove Curve or Greater Restoration on yourself without providing any components, even if you are subject to a condition that would normally prevent you from doing so. Once you have used this ability, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

The 2 channel divinities seem weak still. Maybe just a little push

Ye Shall Be Free: Your touch opens all bonds. As an action, you may do one of the following:

Touch a creature and remove the charmed, grappled, paralyzed, or restrained condition from that creature.
Touch an object that is held shut with Arcane Lock or similar effect, dispelling that effect.
Empower your weapon with the power of freedom. Until your next short or long rest, whenever you strike an object that is stuck or being held shut by a mundane lock or bar, that object becomes unlocked, unstuck, or unbarred

Rush to Freedom: As an action, you may touch an adjacent ally. Both of you gain advantage on Dexterity saving throws and do not provoke opportunity attacks for one minute. For that duration, both you and your ally may use a reaction to move up to half their speed.

The aura is missing its "At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet" rider. You could also have some sort of Alternative ability if there isn't difficult terrain, such as an extra 10 ft movement speed for non-hostile creatures would start their turn in the aura. Actually, it could just be the +10/+30 feet movement speed boost, as that will effectively negate the difficult terrain, while simultaneously causing a speed boost if there isn't difficult terrain there.

I think you could add more to the capstone as well. Maybe having a second reaction for the duration?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-09, 02:45 PM
The 2 channel divinities seem weak still. Maybe just a little push
I see what you mean, there's not much in the way of combat punch. Hmm...

The aura is missing its "At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet" rider. You could also have some sort of Alternative ability if there isn't difficult terrain, such as an extra 10 ft movement speed for non-hostile creatures would start their turn in the aura. Actually, it could just be the +10/+30 feet movement speed boost, as that will effectively negate the difficult terrain, while simultaneously causing a speed boost if there isn't difficult terrain there.
Also addresses Man_Over_Game's point about redundancy with other "ignore difficult terrain" features. Good plan.

I think you could add more to the capstone as well. Maybe having a second reaction for the duration?
Haste + Fly not good enough? :p

Wildarm
2019-01-09, 03:18 PM
Interesting though I'm seeing it being a bit too narrow a focus with little offense capability. Perhaps making some of the actions a bonus action might help at least make it good for action economy. Other idea: Perhaps the turn effect of breaking charmed, grappled, paralyzed, or restrained condition is actually a reversal and the original source/caster has to make a save vs your spell DC or have the effect turned on themselves in addition to removing the condition on the original target?

Sir Brett Nortj
2019-01-09, 03:33 PM
Of personal interest to me.

jiriku
2019-01-10, 07:44 PM
Spelling errors:
First line of flavor text should dedicate the paladin to free thought.
Emancipation should cast Remove Curse rather than Remove Curve. Much to the disappointment of modrons everywhere.

I like the spell list. I mean I really, really, really like it. Great, thematic set of really useful options.

I like Emancipation and Channel Divinity.

Aura of Freedom does need a slight rewrite to avoid ambiguity regarding who gets the speed boost and when. Suggested:

Beginning at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10ft of you have advantage on saves and checks to resist being charmed, grappled, or restrained. Friendly creatures (including yourself) that begin a turn within your aura of freedom gain a 10 ft increase in speed until the beginning of their next turn. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-11, 08:28 AM
Interesting though I'm seeing it being a bit too narrow a focus with little offense capability. Perhaps making some of the actions a bonus action might help at least make it good for action economy. Other idea: Perhaps the turn effect of breaking charmed, grappled, paralyzed, or restrained condition is actually a reversal and the original source/caster has to make a save vs your spell DC or have the effect turned on themselves in addition to removing the condition on the original target?
I mean, it is a Paladin. They don't really need anything extra to kick all the ass offensively. But you're right; Ye Shall Be Free could probably be a bonus action.

Reversing the conditions is a neat idea, but I don't think it works thematically-- the Freedom Pally shouldn't be robbing anyone of their freedom, good or evil.

Spelling errors:
First line of flavor text should dedicate the paladin to free thought.
Emancipation should cast Remove Curse rather than Remove Curve. Much to the disappointment of modrons everywhere.

I like the spell list. I mean I really, really, really like it. Great, thematic set of really useful options.

I like Emancipation and Channel Divinity.

Aura of Freedom does need a slight rewrite to avoid ambiguity regarding who gets the speed boost and when. Suggested:

Beginning at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10ft of you have advantage on saves and checks to resist being charmed, grappled, or restrained. Friendly creatures (including yourself) that begin a turn within your aura of freedom gain a 10 ft increase in speed until the beginning of their next turn. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
Many thanks on all counts!