PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight Redux[PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-23, 07:27 PM
Eldritch Knight(Redux)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/DemonologistEldritchKnight.jpg
An eldritch knight preparing to set an enemy ablaze.

HD: d8

Requirements
BAB: +4
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Martial Lore 6 ranks
Feats: Combat Casting, any metamagic feat
Arcane Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd level spells.
Maneuvers: Ability to use 2nd level maneuvers including at least one stance.

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Martial Lore, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim
Skill-Points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Bonus feat|--
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Twilight sword stance|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Armored mage|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Arcane recovery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Eldritch toughness|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|Mettle|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|Martial Channeling|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|0|0
2nd|1|0|0
3rd|0|1|1
4th|0|0|0
5th|1|0|0
6th|1|1|0
7th|0|0|0
8th|0|0|1
9th|1|1|0
10th|1|0|0
[/table]

Maneuvers: At every level except 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th, and eldritch knight gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or any one other discipline, chosen at first level. If this discipline's main skill is not a class skill for you, it becomes one. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Eldritch Knight levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd level and again at 8th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines aswell as the same discipline chosen at first level for you manuevers. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Spellcasting: At each level except first, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an eldritch knight, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level you may pick either a fighter bonus feat or any metamagic, item creation or spell enhancement feat for which you meet the prerequisites. Once this feat is chosen it cannot be changed.

Twilight Sword Stance (Su): At 2nd level you gain the mystic art of the twilight sword stance. You may lose the benefits of any stance you are currently in to gain the benefits of this one. While in this stance you may attune your arcane magic to your maneuvers. Once per encounter you may apply the benefits of any metamagic feat you know to any maneuver you have readied as if it were a spell. At 5th level you can do this twice per encounter and at 8th level you can use it three times per encounter.

Armored Mage (Ex): At 4th level you know how to maneuver your arms when casting a spell as well as you would a sword in combat. Whatever spellcasting class you chose to advance the spellcasting of when taking this class, you may now cast spells of that class in light armor without any chance of arcane spell failure from armor.

Arcane Recovery (Su): At 5th level, an Eldritch Knight knows how to expend their magic to enhance their fighting. As a free action you may expend a prepared spell or spell slot to attain a maneuver of the spells level or lower. This maneuver did not have to be readied previously, but becomes readied above and beyond the maneuvers you already have readied. This maneuver remains readied for as many rounds as half your initiator level.

Eldritch Toughness (Su): At 7th level an eldritch knight can fortify it's body with it's very own magic. Whenever an eldritch knight casts an arcane spell they gain temporary hit points equal to twice the spells level. These hit points don't stack with those gained from the casting of other spells and last until the end of the encounter.

Mettle (Ex): At 8th level and above, an eldritch knight can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If they make a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping eldritch knight does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Martial Channeling (Su): At 10th level you can create the perfect fusion of both martial and arcane power. Whenever you use a martial strike, boost or both against an enemy you may channel any touch spell you have prepared or know(if you are a spontaneous caster) through it as a swift action. If the strike does not hit, the eldritch knight may try again the next round, the spell remains charged in the weapon for as many rounds as the spell level.

Tengu
2007-09-23, 10:14 PM
Casting + martial maneuvers + armored mage + sword magic as the peak ability! Good job, this PrC is awesome.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-23, 10:25 PM
Casting + martial maneuvers + armored mage + sword magic as the peak ability! Good job, this PrC is awesome.

Why, thank you.:smallbiggrin:

Finerty
2007-09-23, 10:52 PM
Duskwarblade!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-24, 03:21 AM
Duskwarblade!

Hah! Amusing.

Stycotl
2007-10-30, 07:41 PM
hey, i too would like to give you a clap on the shoulder for this prc. good job. it fits perfect for one of the campaigns i am running...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-30, 08:03 PM
This is really good. This will fit my setting as well. Consider this yoinked. Balance-wise, it looks good too. I really want to use this now.

Kai-Palin
2007-10-30, 08:14 PM
And it remains balanced! Amazing! Although to be fair, it seems like it should get a maneuver at every level, and spellcasting at every level except 3,6, and 9. A little less spellcasting for a few more maneuvers seems a fair trade, especially because Diamond Mind and Iron Heart are two of the most directly powerful styles.

Maneuvers: At every level except 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th, and eldritch knight gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or any one other discipline, chosen at first level. If this discipline's main skill is not a class skill for you, it becomes one. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Eldritch Knight levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

But are we to take it from this that the Eldritch Knight gets to choose one school, and gets all his new maneuvers from that school only? And if this is the case, why specify Diamond Mind and Iron Heart and leave the others out? Or, which seems a more fun way to do it, the Eldritch Knight has access to Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, and any one other school, chosen at first level. The key skill becomes a class skill, etc. Also, an interesting idea would be making an ability at first level to replace the bonus feat that is related to the third school chosen.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-30, 08:18 PM
That looks like it was a typo. Oh, and i just noticed that divine casters get into this as well. I always assumed that their was a passage in the DMG eldritch knight saying arcane magic. huh. Just goes to show, always look carefully at stuff like that.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-10-30, 11:22 PM
What I meant with the maneuvers is that you get Iron Heart, Diamond Mind and one other discipline at first level that can't be switched up at any other level. i.e. You can pick say, Desert Wind so you'll have access to Iron Heart, Diamond Mind and Desert Wind and gains Tumble as a class skill.

And I did mention arcane spellcasting.

Arcane Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd level spells.

Behold_the_Void
2007-10-31, 01:44 AM
This beats out the normal Eldritch Knight by an order of magnitude.

Man I wanna play one. Good show.

Hannes
2007-10-31, 02:08 AM
Bookmark'd!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-01, 01:02 AM
Wow. I'm glad everyone likes this so much.

Doberler
2007-11-01, 04:30 AM
I'm a huge fan of the ToB and thus I am a huge fan of this class.. I have but one problem and that is that Armored Mage comes so late. IMHO I think that the bonus feat at first level should be replaced with Armored Mage (light) and the Armored Mage at fourth level should become Medium, allowing for spellcasters who first take this class to be able to actually utilize all the benefits of taking on this prestige.

I would also allow the Armored Mage abilities to stack with each other (such as when its granted by warmage)

But, that is simply my opinion. In all honesty i wouldn't have even thought of it had I not ever played a warmage

Kayoden Usoden
2007-11-01, 11:31 AM
NICE!:smallbiggrin:

Neon Knight
2007-11-01, 12:20 PM
This is, quite frankly, awesome.

ErrantX
2007-11-01, 02:48 PM
Chiming in here, I do enjoy this redux of the Eldritch Knight (as it sorely needs it). My only negative comment is "Why do I have to be a martial disciple to take this class?" I love this class, it's great and I'd definitely use it (consider it bookmarked as well). Do you replace fighters and the like with martial disciples in your game, Krimm?

-X

Catch
2007-11-01, 03:03 PM
Arcane Recovery (Su): At 5th level, an Eldritch Knight knows how to expend their magic to enhance their fighting. As a free action you may expend a prepared spell or spell slot to recover a maneuver of the spells level or lower.

This is the only ability that I have any real objection to, the rest is great.

Losing one spell for one maneuver is a terrible trade. A Warblade can get all his maneuvers back with a swift action, a Crusader doesn't have to do anything and with Adaptive Style, a Swordsage can change all his maneuvers (thus readying them) with a full-round action. Pitching a spell to get one maneuver back just isn't worth it, as spells are limited and far more valuable than maneuvers.

As an alternative, I'd suggest giving the ability to expend a spell slot to perform a maneuver that the EK has not readied. That way you're sacrificing spell power for versatility, which is a much better gain. You'd probably have to change the name, though.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-01, 03:43 PM
Chiming in here, I do enjoy this redux of the Eldritch Knight (as it sorely needs it). My only negative comment is "Why do I have to be a martial disciple to take this class?" I love this class, it's great and I'd definitely use it (consider it bookmarked as well). Do you replace fighters and the like with martial disciples in your game, Krimm?

-X
Yes, I am afraid that's what it's come to. I myself and just fine with replacing fighters, monks and paladins with warblades, swordsages and crusaders. ToB has made me like playing warriors again.

This is the only ability that I have any real objection to, the rest is great.

Losing one spell for one maneuver is a terrible trade. A Warblade can get all his maneuvers back with a swift action, a Crusader doesn't have to do anything and with Adaptive Style, a Swordsage can change all his maneuvers (thus readying them) with a full-round action. Pitching a spell to get one maneuver back just isn't worth it, as spells are limited and far more valuable than maneuvers.

As an alternative, I'd suggest giving the ability to expend a spell slot to perform a maneuver that the EK has not readied. That way you're sacrificing spell power for versatility, which is a much better gain. You'd probably have to change the name, though.

Interesting idea. Perhaps something along the lines of 'Expend a spell(or slot) in order to use a maneuver you know of the spells level or lower, even maneuvers that are not readied'?

Catch
2007-11-01, 03:50 PM
Interesting idea. Perhaps something along the lines of 'Expend a spell(or slot) in order to use a maneuver you know of the spells level or lower, even maneuvers that are not readied'?

That's what I figured. Say you expend a spell to ready the maneuver in your mind, though it doesn't count against your maneuvers readied. To keep from breaking it, say it lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your EK level, or until you expend it.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-01, 08:09 PM
I kept the name but added on, what do you think?

Catch
2007-11-02, 01:18 PM
I kept the name but added on, what do you think?

Looks peachy to me. Nice work.

Duke Malagigi
2007-11-20, 04:37 PM
Krimm, would mind if used this prestige class of your's in combination with Jearom Darkwind's Blade Scholar (http://projectdf.phpbbnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=524) and my Geneticist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62788)? Thank you for the eldritch knight remake.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-23, 06:45 AM
Krimm, would mind if used this prestige class of your's in combination with Jearom Darkwind's Blade Scholar (http://projectdf.phpbbnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=524) and my Geneticist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62788)? Thank you the eldritch knight remake.

I don't mind at all. :smallbiggrin:

Cataphract
2010-02-03, 07:38 AM
I hope this isn't thread necromancy, but I love this class. Tops JPM both fluffwise and with the different (not better mechanics).

However, I do believe you should kill the dead levels (i know they get more maneuvers, but still).

What about bonus fighter feats in those levels? I always thought that getting only one bonus feat at 1st level was stupid.

Now I just need to find a PrC that advances ToB, arcane magic and incarnum :smalltongue:

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-03, 08:17 AM
Oh my god, you combined the incredible pathfinder eldritch knight picture with awesome and flavorful mechanics. You sir, get the entire cookie jar.

The only bit that is lightly annoying to me is Eldritch Toughness. I think that casting a spell should give you a 1 round benefit, maybe to DR or to-hit and damage.

(Glad I wasn't the one to raise this from the dead)

Cataphract
2010-02-03, 08:48 AM
Yeah, that thing bugged me too. I guess change it for something like the sword & spell feat from one of the supplements (I don't remember now, I'll repost it), but actually make it worth the trouble.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-03, 09:26 AM
This is awesome, I agree. I'm planning on taking it once one of my characters levels up some.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-03, 09:30 AM
I hope this isn't thread necromancy, but I love this class. Tops JPM both fluffwise and with the different (not better mechanics).

It is indeed, sadly. When you look over a thread, take a look at the last posted date. In this case it was November 23, 2007. At two and a half years old, it is most definitely past the 3 month/3rd page requirement for necromancy.

That said, it is an excellent class, but possibly a bit to good.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-03, 09:31 AM
Thread Necromancy rules tend to be laxer on the homebrew forums; I'd say that as long as we're helping improve the class, and Krimm's still around to talk about it, it's probably fine.

Anyway, why would you say it's too good?

Cataphract
2010-02-03, 09:47 AM
It is indeed, sadly. When you look over a thread, take a look at the last posted date. In this case it was November 23, 2007. At two and a half years old, it is most definitely past the 3 month/3rd page requirement for necromancy.

That said, it is an excellent class, but possibly a bit to good.

I know it is by definition, I was just wondering how bad an act it was. After all, I mean, I can't just copy it into a new thread, after all.

As for it being too good, I'd drop the Toughness thing, give armored mage to level 1 instead of 4, give bonus feats at 3-6-9, take another CL hit at 6th level,

At level 4 you should use that sword & spell feat, a precursor the capstone ability, which I'll write up tonight basd on that unused feat (which can be a prerequisite feat).

DragoonWraith
2010-02-03, 09:50 AM
No, no more prereq feats! My character is having a hell of a time qualifying for everything as it is... heh.

That said, I do like the rest of the changes.

Cataphract
2010-02-03, 01:56 PM
No, no more prereq feats! My character is having a hell of a time qualifying for everything as it is... heh.

That said, I do like the rest of the changes.

Oh come on, only one more feat :p

Ok, I found it in Complete Mage, it's called Battlecaster Offense. And there's also Battlecasting Defense. Ugh, they're both nearly worthless. Here's what they do:

BATTLECASTER DEFENSE [TACTICAL]
You have mastered techniques for taking full advantage of spells in melee while remaining unharmed.
Prerequisites: Combat Casting, base attack bonus +1,
caster level 1st.
Benefit: The Battlecaster Defense feat allows the use of three tactical maneuvers while spellcasting in melee.
Defensive Targeting: To use this maneuver, you must use the defensive casting option to cast a spell with a range of touch. If you successfully deliver the spell (that is, you succeed on the melee touch attack) on an enemy who threatens you while you cast it, you gain a +2 bonus on any touch attack you make against that enemy on your next turn.
Practiced Defense: When you successfully cast a spell defensively
in 2 consecutive rounds, you gain a +10 bonus on any Concentration check made to cast a spell defensively in the next round.
Safe Retreat: When you successfully cast a spell defensively, your movement on your next turn doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity from any creatures that were threatening you when you cast defensively. (The movement still provokes attacks of opportunity from other creatures normally.)

BATTLECASTER OFFENSE [TACTICAL]
You cunningly mix melee combat and spellcasting to increase the potency of both.
Prerequisites: Combat Casting or warmage edge, base attack bonus +1, Spellcraft 4 ranks.
Benefit: The Battlecaster Offense feat allows the use of two tactical maneuvers.
Spell and Sword: If you deal damage to a foe with a spell, you gain a +1 bonus on your first melee attack roll made against that foe in the next round.
Sword and Spell: If you make a melee attack against a foe, you gain a +1 bonus to the save DC of the first spell you use against that foe in the next round. This bonus applies only against the foe or foes you attacked, not against any other creatures affected by the spell.

Battlecaster Defense is nigh-useless, and Offense is slightly better than that.

Here's what I propose "Battlecasting", a new feat, should do.

BATTLECASTING [TACTICAL]
You have mastered techniques for taking full advantage of spells in melee while remaining unharmed, while cunningly mixing melee combat and spellcasting to increase the potency of both.
Prerequisites: Combat Casting, base attack bonus +1, caster level 1st.
Benefit: The Battlecaster Defense feat allows the use of three tactical maneuvers while spellcasting in melee.
Safe Retreat: When you successfully cast a spell defensively, your movement on the turn you cast the spell doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity from any creatures that were threatening you when you cast defensively. (The movement still provokes attacks of opportunity from other creatures normally.)
Spell and Sword: If you deal damage to a foe with a spell, you gain a +1 bonus on your melee attack rolls made against that foe in the next round.
Sword and Spell: If you make a melee attack against a foe, you gain a +1 bonus to the save DC of the next spell you use against that foe. This bonus applies only against the foe or foes you attacked, not against any other creatures affected by the spell.

Still somewhat pathetic, but a good entry feat, because at 4th level:

Improved Battlecasting (Ex): From now on, you many add half you Eldritch Knight levels to the bonuses gained by the Battlecasting feat.

A bit overpowering? (Possibly a +6 bonus and even worse, a +6 DC to any spell).