PDA

View Full Version : A Druid Circle based on Forest Fires

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-09, 01:39 PM
A nice person here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/138646/22566) tossed out an idea for a Circle of Chaos/Circle of Flame druid. I took the idea and modified it, and request that Playgrounders provide a PEACH style critique. I think this is about balanced, but maybe I have missed a few tricks.

1. Theme: fire, forest fires, and the burning away of the old so that the new can grow and thrive.

2. One of the problems Druids have is that so many of their spells require concentration. This circle is no different in that respect.

3. I specifically did not choose heat metal as a domain/circle spell since that has to do with man made metal ... not nature fires.

4. Domain/circle spell choices were based on fire and wind (which spreads forest fires) and lightning, which starts them. If there is an XGTE spell that you think fits better, please suggest it. Wayfinder and Ravnica suggestions are not being sought, nor UA. If there's a Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock, or Cleric, etc spell that you think works better as a domain spell, please suggest it as a substitute.

I have posted Version 1.3 further down, I thank all of you for the feedback and suggestions. PEACH for the win!

-------------------------------
Circle of Flame {Version 1.1 as of 10 January 2019} Thanks to feedback. More feedback requested.

Fire burns the forest, and out of the ash rises new growth. Just like the fire that burns the weak and dead trees, Druids of the Circle of Flame reap the weakness from those who have lost their way, leaving the next generation a fertile soil to grow upon. Wind spreads forest fires, cleansing a greater area. Lightning starts forest fires when it strikes a dead tree; fiery death brings a new beginning. Even evil, consumed by flame, can provide fertile ground for Nature reborn. Circle of Flame druids believe that everything will burn one day, to be re-born for a new beginning.

Circle of Flame spells (always prepared)

at level 3 Flaming Sphere, Gust of Wind
at level 5 Plant Growth, Lightning Bolt
at level 7 Storm Sphere, Wall of Fire
at level 9 Control Winds, Awaken

Only You
When you choose the Circle of Flame at level 2, you gain the fire bolt cantrip.

Blazing Will
At 2nd level, you can choose to add your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier to your armor class. You gain resistance to fire damage.

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the flame blade spell is always prepared. When using flame blade, you can cast any fire, wind, or lightning spell as a bonus action

Alternate Heat of Battle: feedback desired!

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action. {closer to the melee druid theme from the original post that I linked to in the intro}

Flaming Soul
Starting at level 10 your flame blade base damage becomes 3d8. At higher levels: the damage increases by 1d8 for every slot level above second. When you cast flame blade you may also cast Investiture of Flame on yourself - it doesn’t require concentration.

NOTE: The power spike is serious since this becomes a rare "you can have two spells being concentrated on at once" and that's a big exception.

Phoenix Rising
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to a single friendly creature or yourself. The friendly creature, or you, instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.

NOTE: This is a handy way to turn damage into healing, once each short rest, in the "regrowth" theme. Helps you, or the party member, get 'new life' from fire. I can see a good argument for refreshing only on a long rest.
================================================== ====

That loss of spell slots (no arcane recovery) gets to be more noticeable as you go up in level, but it is accounted for by the exceptional "dual concentration" feature with investiture of flame.

Of course, fire resistant / fire immune creatures will snicker if you get all up in their grill.

======================

Note: I think that this is fair use of that image, but if it isn't, please advise and I'll take it down.

Savoc
2019-01-09, 09:05 PM
This is actualy a very interesting subclass. I think i'l mention it to my PC's for future characters. By the way, this got me thinking: What about an undead subclass for druid, based around gloom and death and, just like this was a mix of Druid and Pyromancer, what about a Druid and Necromancer.

http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg (http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm)

Ganymede
2019-01-09, 09:12 PM
Why not broaden the Circle to include calamities like the earthquake, the tsunami, and the hurricane? Destruction and renewal comes in all four elemental flavors.

Mercurias
2019-01-09, 09:12 PM
All I ask is that you name the character Khal’if Ornia.

Eriol
2019-01-09, 09:33 PM
I think you should combine a bit more renewal into it, not just the destruction. Walk BOTH sides of the line, not just one.

For example, I think that Plant Growth would be extremely thematic, especially if you say something like "this will even sprout seeds of plants in burned ground to full life". Also Awaken for a 5th-circle spell, on similar grounds, or perhaps Wrath of Nature with it "working" in a burned area for some hellish plants or something.

Basically, you've got the fire down, and it DOES cleanse, but work a bit more of the growth and renewal into it if you can IMO.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-09, 10:46 PM
I think you should combine a bit more renewal into it, not just the destruction. Walk BOTH sides of the line, not just one.

For example, I think that Plant Growth would be extremely thematic, especially if you say something like "this will even sprout seeds of plants in burned ground to full life". Also Awaken for a 5th-circle spell, on similar grounds, or perhaps Wrath of Nature with it "working" in a burned area for some hellish plants or something.

Basically, you've got the fire down, and it DOES cleanse, but work a bit more of the growth and renewal into it if you can IMO. Great points, I'll work on that. Thanks.

Why not broaden the Circle to include calamities like the earthquake, the tsunami, and the hurricane? Destruction and renewal comes in all four elemental flavors. Good call, let me work on that.

Alternate:

Circle of Flame spells (Always Prepared)

The focus is still on wind and flame and lightning. The Destruction/renewal theme is appreciated, but those spells are always available to prepare.

Trustypeaches
2019-01-10, 04:25 AM
In terms of flavor, it seems a bit narrow. I would broaden it out a bit to include elements like ash, smoke, and "regrowth".

Heat of Battle
*Starting at level 6, the flame blade spell is always prepared, as is the call lightning spell. When using flame blade, you can cast any fire, wind, or lightning spell as a bonus action*.
(A) "Fire, Wind, or Lightning spell" is a very vague parameter. Spells don't have an inherent elemental alignment. Features that affect spells like this usually use the language "Spells that deal [Element] damage", which in this case would be Fire or Lightning damage.

(B) This feature is pretty strong, considering you get Lightning Bolt as a Circle spell. However it becomes extremely strong if you multiclass to pick up Green Flame Blade.

(C) Incorporating a specific spell as a core class feature is kinda eh. If you don't want to play a melee Druid (which neither the spell list nor any of the class features up to this point support) then this is a dead feature, as is the level 10 feature.

I would redesign this feature entirely.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-10, 08:27 AM
In terms of flavor, it seems a bit narrow. Yes, the tension between fire/destruction and regrowth may not have hit the sweet spot yet.

(A) "Fire, Wind, or Lightning spell" is a very vague parameter. Spells don't have an inherent elemental alignment. Features that affect spells like this usually use the language "Spells that deal [Element] damage", which in this case would be Fire or Lightning damage.
Hmm, that's a good point. I figured that using the key words would suffice, but I can see what you mean by perhaps straying from the design scheme . Some of the wind spells don't do damage, though.

(B) This feature is pretty strong, considering you get Lightning Bolt as a Circle spell. However it becomes extremely strong if you multiclass to pick up Green Flame Blade. As with the original game, sub classes are not designed with MC in mind. Lightning Bolt is also available to Circle of the Land (Mountain).
(C) Incorporating a specific spell as a core class feature is kinda eh. If you don't want to play a melee Druid (which neither the spell list nor any of the class features up to this point support) then this is a dead feature, as is the level 10 feature. This feature was explicitly aimed at having a melee druid in the original concept I linked to in the intro, and that I riffed from. If you put on a shield, add studded leather, and then boost Wisdom to 20, you've got AC 19 ... which is not tanky but it does make for passable melee capability.

I would redesign this feature entirely. Yeah, if I got rid of the melee piece, perhaps this whole concept gets a redo.
Thanks for the feedback, good stuff.

@Mercurias: both of my kids were born in Khal’if Ornia. :smallwink: Nice one.

This is actualy a very interesting subclass. I think i'l mention it to my PC's for future characters. By the way, this got me thinking: What about an undead subclass for druid, based around gloom and death and, just like this was a mix of Druid and Pyromancer, what about a Druid and Necromancer.

Undead is not consistent with the D&D 5e Druid Theme. I'll quote you from the PHB:

Druids accept that which is cruel in Nature, and they hate that which is unnatural, including Aberrations (such as Beholders and mind flayers) and Undead (such as Zombies and vampires). Druids sometimes lead raids against such creatures, especially when the Monsters encroach on the druids’ territory. You guys may find a way to make that fit in your campaign.

I have modified the level six feature:

Heat of Battle
*Starting at level 6, the flame blade spell is always prepared. When using flame blade, you can cast any fire, wind, or lightning spell as a bonus action*.
NOTE: Normal concentration rules apply! I need to research this feature and find out what spells don't require concentration and also fit into fire, lightning, and wind elemental spells. The original concept was to promote a better melee druid, so perhaps something to boost armor class, or allow something like a cunning action would be a better fit here and not mess with spell casting rules so egregiously.

Flaming Soul
*Starting at level 10 your flame blade base damage becomes 3d8. At higher levels: the damage increases by 1d8 for every slot level above second. When you cast flame blade you may also cast Investiture of Flame on yourself - it doesn’t require concentration*.
Still pondering this one.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-10, 11:38 AM
Now you've given me two ideas:

1) A Circle of the Fire Brigade that's constantly at odds with the Circle of Flame. Naturally all druids in the Fire Brigade can shapeshift into a talking brown bear.

2) I'm definitely about to put an NPC in Dragon Heist who is trying to promote this Druid circle so it gains traction through the world. He/she will hold rallies in the city squares teaching everyone about the cycles of destruction and renewal. Perhaps when the fireball goes off in the city the party will think to ask the NPC for help in determining more about the attack.

I really think this is such a solid subclass already. Maybe some improvements can be made, but after first glance I was impressed with how playable it already seems.

Pex
2019-01-10, 04:13 PM
If you really want to be all about fire don't be afraid to give the character Fireball instead of Lightning Bolt. Powerful, yes, but not too powerful and there's nothing wrong with being powerful. If you need the game's permission Light Clerics get Fireball, so there is already precedent in giving the spell to a divine class.

Azgeroth
2019-01-10, 04:47 PM
where is FireStorm??? nothing starts a forest fire like FireStorm..

Trustypeaches
2019-01-10, 05:54 PM
Yes, the tension between fire/destruction and regrowth may not have hit the sweet spot yet.
Hmm, that's a good point. I figured that using the key words would suffice, but I can see what you mean by perhaps straying from the design scheme . Some of the wind spells don't do damage, though.
As with the original game, sub classes are not designed with MC in mind. Lightning Bolt is also available to Circle of the Land (Mountain). This feature was explicitly aimed at having a melee druid in the original concept I linked to in the intro, and that I riffed from. If you put on a shield, add studded leather, and then boost Wisdom to 20, you've got AC 19 ... which is not tanky but it does make for passable melee capability.Creating a Melee Druid is fine (although I don't see how it connects thematically to forest fires, but whatever), but I wouldn't build it around Flame Blade. It's too limiting. You're locking their melee potential behind a concentration spell. It'd be like if Bladesingers were forced to use Shadow Blade. I would just give them Extra Attack instead of the level 6 feature they have now, similar to Bladesingers, Swords and Valor bards. It still has synergy with Flame Blade without shackling the Druid to it.

Furthermore if you want to lean into the melee I would replace the "WIS Modifier to Armor" feature with a replacement Wild Shape, similar to Spore's Symbiotic Entity.

"Heart of the Flame" (or something)
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to awaken the primal spirits of flame. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken your inner flame, rather than transforming into a beast form. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:

Add your Wisdom Modifier to your AC
Deal 1d4 damage to all creatures within 10 feet as a bonus action
Add Fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier to your melee attacks
Regenerate 1d4 health at the start of your turn

These effects last 1 minute or until you are reduced to 0 hit points.

This is just a rough idea, you could obviously change all the features. But I think this might be better than just +WIS to AC and it helps incorporate your Wild Shapes where they may be thematically awkward otherwise (how does turning into animals connect to burning everything down?)

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-01-10, 06:11 PM
Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the flame blade spell is always prepared. When using flame blade, you can cast any fire, wind, or lightning spell as a bonus action

I would change this to something more like:
Starting at level 6, the flame blade spell is always prepared. When you take the attack action with your flame blade, you can cast any fire, wind, or lightning spell as a bonus action.

Edit: this is also a pretty strong ability I would limit it to cantrips or something like that.

Eriol
2019-01-10, 10:57 PM
Glad to see you taking the "regrowth" thing to heart.

On the level 6/10 abilities though, it feels like it pigeonholes it into a melee build and is too OP as well. I offer this as an alternative:

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the druid adds Fire damage equal to their Wisdom modifier to all spell attacks (once per turn only).

Flaming Soul
The flame in your soul cannot be contained, no matter the form you take. Starting at level 10 your melee strikes gain 1d8 fire damage per hit. This damage also occurs from attacks in Wild Shape, and stacks with Flame Blade, or other spell-based melee attacks.

Heat of Battle is akin to Potent Spellcasing from Cleric, or Elemental Affinity from Sorc, though not quite as good as sorc, as they also get resistance, though better than cantrip-only from cleric or Evocation wizard. Once per turn is like errata for the wizard one, so once on Scorching Ray, not 3 times. So pretty balanced IMO.

Flaming Soul is straight-up a copy of Improved Divine Smite from Paladin, except adding on that you also get it in Wild Shape, or on spell-based attacks. I was inspired by your image, in that the Panther has flaming eyes, so what if that was you? Shouldn't you still be doing fire? I'll admit that the case for non-moon druids doing Wild Shape at level 10+ isn't that often, but bears multiattack, and it improves Flame Blade without making it nuts, or forcing it to be the entire point of the build. It also allows the SCAG cantrips to interact with it to give them a bit of an extra flaming punch if you want to go that way, or a Druid/Monk with flurry of blows could also really "go for it" for fire damage each round with few resources used.

IMO your original ideas for these were too OP. Baseline Flame Blade is 3d6, going up a d6 every TWO levels. Your idea makes it WAY more powerful, possibly way too powerful, especially with the double-concentration, and investiture of flame, and giving essentially free Quicken Spell every round as well.

Basically, I'd allow what I wrote above at a table that I DM. It's very similar to other caster abilities without being too outside the power curve (maybe slightly, but it's homebrew, it should have some punch). What you had originally... too much IMO. Fun to play no doubt, but too much. Maybe add fire resistance to Heat of Battle if you'd like, but I don't think more than that.

But it's your class in the end. If you can convince a DM to let you play it, have fun! I think it could be really neat to play, I just think you have a better chance of convincing your local DM with what I have above.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-10, 11:05 PM
where is FireStorm??? nothing starts a forest fire like FireStorm..Domain spells end at 5th level spells. It's available to a Druid, right? So, it's always there. :smallsmile:

@Eriol: Great ideas, let me sleep on that. Good call.

@Ganymede: some of the spells you mention are higher level than 5th. They are available anyway, just not always preparped.

Vogie
2019-01-11, 10:34 AM
There's another Playgrounder working on that in the Homebrew forum HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577755-Druid-archetype-Circle-of-Flames)

Amdy_vill
2019-01-11, 12:36 PM
A nice person here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/138646/22566) tossed out an idea for a Circle of Chaos/Circle of Flame druid. I took the idea and modified it, and request that Playgrounders provide a PEACH style critique. I think this is about balanced, but maybe I have missed a few tricks.

1. Theme: fire, forest fires, and the burning away of the old so that the new can grow and thrive.

2. One of the problems Druids have is that so many of their spells require concentration. This circle is no different in that respect.

3. I specifically did not choose heat metal as a domain/circle spell since that has to do with man made metal ... not nature fires.

4. Domain/circle spell choices were based on fire and wind (which spreads forest fires) and lightning, which starts them. If there is an XGTE spell that you think fits better, please suggest it. Wayfinder and Ravnica suggestions are not being sought, nor UA. If there's a Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock, or Cleric, etc spell that you think works better as a domain spell, please suggest it as a substitute.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/43/9b/90/439b90741626390b7f0d248f1a665816.jpg
Circle of Flame {Version 1.1 as of 10 January 2019} Thanks to feedback. More feedback requested.

Fire burns the forest, and out of the ash rises new growth. Just like the fire that burns the weak and dead trees, Druids of the Circle of Flame reap the weakness from those who have lost their way, leaving the next generation a fertile soil to grow upon. Wind spreads forest fires, cleansing a greater area. Lightning starts forest fires when it strikes a dead tree; fiery death brings a new beginning. Even evil, consumed by flame, can provide fertile ground for Nature reborn. Circle of Flame druids believe that everything will burn one day, to be re-born for a new beginning.

Only You

Blazing Will
At 2nd level, you can choose to add your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier to your armor class. You gain resistance to fire damage.

this should be an equation or at less you should clarify that it is. think if i took monk or barb and then 2 levels in this.

Heat of Battle

Alternate Heat of Battle: feedback desired!

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action. {closer to the melee druid theme from the original post that I linked to in the intro}

make this a level 5 ability so it lines up with the normal progression of these things.

[ B]Flaming Soul[/B]
Starting at level 10 your flame blade base damage becomes 3d8. At higher levels: the damage increases by 1d8 for every slot level above second. When you cast flame blade you may also cast Investiture of Flame on yourself - it doesn’t require concentration.

NOTE: The power spike is serious since this becomes a rare "you can have two spells being concentrated on at once" and that's a big exception.

Phoenix Rising
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to a single friendly creature or yourself. The friendly creature, or you, instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.

NOTE: This is a handy way to turn damage into healing, once each short rest, in the "regrowth" theme. Helps you, or the party member, get 'new life' from fire. I can see a good argument for refreshing only on a long rest.
================================================== ====

That loss of spell slots (no arcane recovery) gets to be more noticeable as you go up in level, but it is accounted for by the exceptional "dual concentration" feature with investiture of flame.

Of course, fire resistant / fire immune creatures will snicker if you get all up in their grill.

======================

Note: I think that this is fair use of that image, but if it isn't, please advise and I'll take it down.

Trustypeaches
2019-01-11, 01:59 PM
make this a level 5 ability so it lines up with the normal progression of these things.actually level 6 is correct for the progression of Extra Attack for full casters. See Bladesingers, Valor Bards, and Swords Bards who all receive extra attack at level 6.

It also keeps the feature progression consistent with the other Druid circles, which get their features at level 6.

Also yo Korvin you missed my suggestion :P (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23628173&postcount=12)

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-11, 02:05 PM
Also yo Korvin you missed my suggestion :P (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23628173&postcount=12) I didn't miss it, I saw it, and I have not yet sat down and done the version 1.2 yet. RL has its problems with interrupting other fun things. I like where you went with that, but I need to have some time to assess that which I keep and that which I don't.

Thank you for that suggestion, it certainly fits the general intent.

Amdy_vill
2019-01-11, 02:09 PM
actually level 6 is correct for the progression of Extra Attack for full casters. See Bladesingers, Valor Bards, and Swords Bards who all receive extra attack at level 6.

It also keeps the feature progression consistent with the other Druid circles, which get their features at level 6.

Also yo Korvin you missed my suggestion :P (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23628173&postcount=12)

I didn't know any full caster got an extra attack. thanks for the correction. I haven't really looked at any of those subclasses as i am more of a controlling the battle field type of caster. i like wall spells

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-11, 02:45 PM
There's another Playgrounder working on that in the Homebrew forum HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577755-Druid-archetype-Circle-of-Flames) Thanks, some good ideas there too.
this should be an equation or at less you should clarify that it is. think if i took monk or barb and then 2 levels in this. As noted above, MC is not considered when making this class, which is the same as all other PHB classes. (Monks already get a wisdom boost to AC, and if a barbarian boosts Wis to boost AC, Go For It!) It does not pick my pocket.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-12, 01:57 PM
OK, here's version 1.3, please let me know if you think that it is an improvement. Trustypeaches made a suggestion about the intent of this to be an increase in the Druid's melee capabilities, so with that in mind an adjustment has been made.

Circle of Flame {Version 1.3 as of 12 January 2019} Thanks for the feedback. More feedback requested.

at level 7 Guardian of Nature, Wall of Fire
at level 9 Control Winds, Immolation

Only You

Heart of the Flame
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to awaken the primal spirits of flame. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken your inner flame, rather than transforming into a beast form. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:

These effects last for 1 minute or until you are reduced to 0 hit points.

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action.

Flaming Soul At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, you gain +2 to your armor class. (Or maybe +1?)

Phoenix Rising

=========

djreynolds
2019-01-12, 06:09 PM
This is cool, throw it up on SageAdvice

Trustypeaches
2019-01-12, 06:32 PM
Circle of Flame {Version 1.3 as of 12 January 2019} Thanks for the feedback. More feedback requested.
Just an general note, I think this version of the class looks pretty good. I think I might make the naming scheme a bit more thematically distinct though, especially since Druid subclass names are usually a bit more abstract than literal.

Circle of Ash
Circle of Cinder
Circle of Embers
Circle of Calamity

at level 7 Guardian of Nature, Wall of Fire
at level 9 Control Winds, Immolation
If you want to be consistent with all the other subclasses, then avoid spells exclusive to XGtE. I'd also consider adding more melee-focused spells or possibly some restoration / healing abilities if you want that to be a theme of the subclass. Some ideas of other spells you could utilize that fit into the theme.

2nd Level: Flame Blade, Scorching Ray
3rd Level: Aura of Vitality, Haste, Revivify
4th Level: Fire Shield, Aura of Life
5th Level: Reincarnate, Flame Strike

Only You
I don't know that you need to add the Firebolt cantrip for a melee focused subclass. In fact it'd be kinda annoying if the melee-focused subclass had the best ranged magic cantrip. Instead, I'd give them Martial Weapon Proficiency to remove their dependency on Shillelagh. I'd also change the name, which seems like a placeholder? "Wrath of the Wildfire" maybe?

Heart of the Flame

Heart of the Flame is a little awkward, maybe "Blazing Heart"? Also I would change the third feature to maybe this:

When a creature you can see moves into a space within 10 feet of you or starts its turn there, you can use your reaction to heal that creature for 1d4 hit points. This healing increases to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 at 14th level.
This makes it a bit more versatile while also introducing the concept of healing + hurting with your flames before your 14th level feature pops in.

Also, adding your Wisdom Modifier to your melee attacks might be a bit too powerful, especially with Extra Attack. Maybe instead add 1d6 fire damage to your melee attacks (again, parallel to the Symbiotic Entity). It scales naturally when you pick up Extra Attack. +WIS to AC is also very strong since Druids have great AC to start with, unless you place limitations on it similar to how the Bladesinger places limitations on what armor you can use to benefit from Bladesong. It's also worth considering that Symbiotic Entity ends when the Temp HP grants is expended. I might consider placing a similar "timer" on this replacement Wild Shape.

I don't know I like the concept of a Wild Shape replacement but I feel like this is out-of-line power wise with the only other example, Symbiotic Entity right now. Some other ideas for features:

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action.
Just call it Extra Attack. It's called Extra Attack for the other full casters as well.

Flaming Soul
At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, you gain +2 to your armor class. (Or maybe +1?) This is alright, but a bit dry. I also think adding another ability that adds AC is a bit crazy considering how much AC this subclass can already each fairly often. The name is also a bit dry. Maybe name it something that emphasizes the endurance of nature and the forest through destruction? ""

Phoenix Rising
This really strong, but I like the idea. I wonder if it might be too strong and too swingy in terms of it's power (super useful against a red dragon, not so useful in a lot of other scenarios). Maybe place some kind of cap on this ability? Or have it restore hit points equal to half of the damage prevented. Regardless, I'd change the name to something like "Birth from Ashes" or something unrelated from Phoenixes, which are residents of the elemental plane of fire IIRC somewhat divorced from the theming of this class.

Calen
2019-01-13, 12:33 PM
Looks great, I like the theme and mechanics.

One note I have is that Phoenix Rising should have range on it.

"...dealt to a single friendly creature that you can see within 30 feet or yourself. The friendly creature..."

Something like that, range was chosen arbitrarily.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-13, 01:28 PM
Circle of Ash Circle of Cinder Circle of Embers Circle of Calamity Original was "Circle of Flame" or "Circle of Chaos" and I went with flame for the sake of simplicity.

If you want to be consistent with all the other subclasses, then avoid spells exclusive to XGtE. I'd also consider adding more melee-focused spells those are all available to the druid, you can't cram them all into circle spells. I'll need to offer an alternate spell for XGTE spells, good point

I don't know that you need to add the Firebolt cantrip for a melee focused subclass. Fire. Thematic. The create bonfires cantrip is too fiddly.

Heart of the Flame is a little awkward, maybe "Blazing Heart"? Also I would change the third feature to maybe this:

When a creature you can see moves into a space within 10 feet of you or starts its turn there, you can use your reaction to heal that creature for 1d4 hit points. This healing increases to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 13th level.
This makes it a bit more versatile while also introducing the concept of healing + hurting with your flames before your 14th level feature pops in. Yeah, see my mod, I like your idea.

This is alright, but a bit dry. I also think adding another ability that adds AC is a bit crazy considering how much AC this subclass can already each fairly often. The name is also a bit dry. Maybe name it something that emphasizes the endurance of nature and the forest through destruction? " The druid needs more AC at tiers 3 and 4 if we want it to be in melee. Seriously. Have you noticed how hard CR 9 and above critters hit?

This really strong, but I like the idea. I wonder if it might be too strong and too swingy in terms of it's power (super useful against a red dragon, not so useful in a lot of other scenarios). Maybe place some kind of cap on this ability? Or have it restore hit points equal to half of the damage prevented. Regardless, I'd change the name to something like "Birth from Ashes" or something unrelated from Phoenixes, which are residents of the elemental plane of fire IIRC somewhat divorced from the theming of this class. Once per long rest. "From the Ashes" is a better idea, good call! :smallbiggrin:

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-13, 01:41 PM
OK, here's version 1.4, the help you all gave me is deeply appreciated. As of 13 January.
Circle of Flame

at level 7 Guardian of Nature, Wall of Fire {Grasping Vine for PHB Only Games}
at level 9 Control Winds, Immolation {Flame Strike for PHB Only games}

Only You

Heart of the Flame
[LIST]
You can use your reaction to heal yourself, or an allied creature within 10 feet of you, for 1d4 hit points. This healing increases to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 13th level.

Heat of Battle

Flaming Soul At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, you gain +2 to your armor class.

From the Ashes
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself or a single friendly creature within 30' of you. The friendly creature, or you instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.

=========

Trustypeaches
2019-01-13, 02:03 PM
Those are all available to the druid, you can't cram them all into circle spells. I'll need to offer an alternate spell for XGTE spells, good point
Take a look at the spells I listed again; the majority of them are not available to the druid.

5th Level: Reincarnate, Flame Strike

In fact for the spell list you have, all but two of the spells you have are already available to the Druid, so I don't see your point.

If your concern is that you don't want too many spells that aren't on the druid spell list, I'd point to the Circle of Spores spell list as a reference point (5 non-druid spells). Again, to be clear, I'm not saying you should use ALL of these spells I recommended above, simply that they may be more suitable for the theming and mechanical identity of the subclass than some of the options you have. I definitely think you should be including more Healing spells in the Circle List if you want that to be a relevant part of your theming.

Fire. Thematic. The create bonfires cantrip is too fiddly.
I understand why you give the subclass Firebolt as it's a fire-themed circle, I just disagree with it and I don't think it's necessary to reinforce the theming. I also think it's unbalanced that the "melee" druid subclass is the one with access to the highest potential ranged damage cantrip. I think if you want to reinforce the "melee" design I think it's more appropriate to give them access to martial weapons to ease their reliance on Shillelagh.

Also, once again, I think "Only You" is a bizarre name and I'd change it. I don't understand how it is meant to relate to the theming of the subclass.

TotallyNotABarb
2019-01-14, 02:55 AM
Sounds like it's a Smokey the bear reference.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-14, 11:14 AM
Sounds like it's a Smokey the bear reference. It is. :smallsmile: And while it first applied to bonfires, I intend to keep it. Fire bolt can make flammable objects burn. :smallcool:

Take a look at the spells I listed again; the majority of them are not available to the druid.

5th Level: Reincarnate, Flame Strike Fair point. As a point of reference, see the life domain cleric:

Life Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st bless, cure wounds
3rd lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
5th beacon of hope, revivify
7th death ward, guardian of faith
9th mass cure wounds, raise dead
All Cleric spells.

Your point is taken, I'll ponder a change.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-14, 11:34 AM
OK, here's version 1.5. The help you all gave me is deeply appreciated. As of 14 January:
Circle of Flame

Only You

at level 3 Scorching Ray, Gust of Wind
at level 5 Revivify, Lightning Bolt
at level 7 Grasping Vine, Fire Shield
at level 9 Control Winds, Flame Strike

Heart of the Flame
At 2nd level, as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken the primordial spirits of fire rather than transforming into a beast form. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:
[LIST] Add your Wisdom Modifier to your AC
You can use your reaction to heal yourself, or an allied creature within 10 feet of you, for 1d4 hit points. This healing increases to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 13th level.

Heat of Battle

Flaming Soul
At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, you gain +2 to your armor class.

From the Ashes
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself, or to a single friendly creature within 30' of you. You, or the friendly creature (whomever was subjected to the damage) instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest. [/QUOTE]

Trustypeaches
2019-01-14, 01:19 PM
It is. :smallsmile: And while it first applied to bonfires, I intend to keep it. Fire bolt can make flammable objects burn. :smallcool:

Fair point. As a point of reference, see the life domain cleric:

Life Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st bless, cure wounds
3rd lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
5th beacon of hope, revivify
7th death ward, guardian of faith
9th mass cure wounds, raise dead
All Cleric spells.

Your point is taken, I'll ponder a change.Again, I’d use Circle of Spores as your reference point, since it is the most similar Druid circle in design.

It’s spell list has 5 spells that are not otherwise usable by the Druid.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-14, 01:42 PM
There's a section specifically for homebrew content to be reviewed and critiqued. I reviewed the forum rules, but it doesn't really say it's against the rules to post stuff in a slightly incorrect location, only that the creator can request it to be moved by reporting the thread for the request.

Is there any reason I couldn't post 5e homebrew content directly onto the 5e forum (like with this thread)?

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-14, 01:55 PM
From the Ashes [/B]
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself or a single friendly creature within 30' of you. The friendly creature, or you instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.

Could you clarify the language here? If I take the fire damage can I absorb it and heal my ally? So basically, make it clear whether the person who gets hit with the damage is the person who has to instead be healed, or if the druid can refocus that damage done to whomever to heal any other party member (including him/herself). Haha, even in asking to clarify it's hard to state what I mean clearly. Does that make sense?

I think this turned out great, and if I ever play a druid I'll likely go for this subclass. It just seems like a lot of fun.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-14, 02:26 PM
Could you clarify the language here? If I take the fire damage can I absorb it and heal my ally? So basically, make it clear whether the person who gets hit with the damage is the person who has to instead be healed, or if the druid can refocus that damage done to whomever to heal any other party member (including him/herself). Haha, even in asking to clarify it's hard to state what I mean clearly. Does that make sense?

I think this turned out great, and if I ever play a druid I'll likely go for this subclass. It just seems like a lot of fun. Great question, let me clean that up. Thanks! :smallsmile:

From the Ashes
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself, or to a single friendly creature within 30' of you. You, or the friendly creature (whomever was subjected to the damage) instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest. Is that more clear?

There's a section specifically for homebrew content to be reviewed and critiqued. I reviewed the forum rules, but it doesn't really say it's against the rules to post stuff in a slightly incorrect location, only that the creator can request it to be moved by reporting the thread for the request.

Is there any reason I couldn't post 5e homebrew content directly onto the 5e forum (like with this thread)? I'll PM a mod, fair question. I'll let you know.

Again, I’d use Circle of Spores as your reference point, since it is the most similar Druid circle in design.

It’s spell list has 5 spells that are not otherwise usable by the Druid. The inspiration was not that subclass, but rather the circle of the land (all of them) ... PS, I dislike the circle of spoors druid sub class, so I have no interest in modeling anything related to it.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-14, 02:38 PM
From the Ashes
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself, or to a single friendly creature within 30' of you. You, or the friendly creature (whomever was subjected to the damage) instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.

That's much better. You can also use this simplified tweak if you like the wording and it helps you.

"Starting at Level 14 you can use your reaction to absorb fire or lightning damage that would be dealt to you or a friendly creature within 30' of you. The creature instead heals for that amount of damage. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest."

Roland St. Jude
2019-01-14, 03:18 PM
Sheriff: Moved to Homebrew. Also, please don't use art without permission of the artist/copyright holder.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-14, 04:57 PM
Sheriff: Moved to Homebrew. Also, please don't use art without permission of the artist/copyright holder. As I noted in the opening post, if your assessment is that, attribution considered, the image is not fair use then I will remove it forthwith. I'll drop you a PM. I have removed it pending further communication.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-15, 03:32 PM
I'd like to once again thank everyone who helped out, critiqued, and gave wording suggestions to this idea. Your assistance and expertise is very much appreciated.

KorvinStarmast
2019-04-01, 03:01 PM
Here is Version 1.6. I had a variety of critiques, both here and at RPG.SE, on my problem with the Armor Class and Bounded Accuracy.

Circle of Flame

Circle of Flame bonus spells (always prepared)

at level 7 Guardian of Nature, Wall of Fire {Grasping Vine for PHB Only Games}
at level 9 Control Winds, Immolation {Flame Strike for PHB Only games}

Only You

Heart of the Flame

- A flaming aura surrounds you. Add a bonus to your armor class equal to one third of your Druid level (Minimum of 1) {Note: this ties it to the scheme of Moon Circle Druid CR divided by 3 thing for Wild Shape, and slowly boosts AC commensurate with CR of enemies and their higher to hit scores ... }
- You can use your reaction to heal yourself, or an allied creature within 10' of you, for 1d4 hit points when either of you takes damage. This healing increases to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 15th level.

{Note: unlike the beast shape that lasts for hours and hours, this is a one combat benefit expenditure of a class feature}.

Heat of Battle
Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action. Add Fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier to your melee attacks {It can be argued that this needs to wait for level 8 ... but I am leaving it here}.

Flaming Soul
At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, add your Wisdom modifier to the damage done.

From the Ashes
Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself or a single friendly creature within 30' of you. The friendly creature, or you instead heals for the amount of damage taken. You must take a short or long rest before using this feature again.

==========

At Level 20: with the Druid's level 20 "wild shape forever" thing going on, you can turn into this flaming thing as often as you want to, but it costs an action to do so. Also, you recover no HP when so doing. I am comfortable that the opponents at level 20 won't get too bothered by a flaming druid jumping around ...

=========================

Fire resistant and fire immune creatures will shrug when this druid comes by.