PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Magic Feats

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-10, 09:27 AM
Abjure Ally
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell

When you cast a spell which requires concentration on an ally, they gain a +1 bonus to AC for the duration of the spell. If you are damaged while concentrating on a spell affecting an ally, your ally may also roll a Constitution save against the same DC. If either of you succeed, you maintain concentration on the spell.

Blighter

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal necrotic or poison damage in place of its usual damage type.

Once per turn, when an enemy is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals necrotic or poison damage, their hit point maximum is reduced by half the damage dealt until they complete a short or long rest. This reduction takes place after they are damaged—for example a creature with 30 maximum hit points who takes 10 necrotic damage would be left 20 hit points out of a maximum of 25.

Flamebringer

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal fire damage in place of its usual damage type.

Once per turn, when an enemy is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals fire damage, they catch on fire, taking 1d6+spell level damage at the beginning of your next turn.

Ice Mage

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal cold damage in place of its usual damage type.

Once per turn, when an enemy is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals cold damage, their speed is halved until the beginning of your next turn.

Illusionary Tell

When you cast an Illusion spell, you may choose to clue in your allies. They automatically know that the effect is illusionary, and both you and your allies can see through your illusions as though they were transparent. Clued in allies automatically succeed on saves against your Illusion spells.

Light of Life

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal radiant damage in place of its usual damage type. If you do, its damage dice are reduced one step in size-- from d12s to d10s, d10s to d8s, and so on. Spells that deal d4s of damage instead deal 1 damage per die.

Once per turn, when a creature is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals radiant damage or restores hit points, one ally within 30ft gains temporary hit points equal to the level of the spell.

Lingering Transmutation

When you cast a Transmutation spell with a duration, its effects remain for one round after the spell ends. This benefit applies even if the spell ends prematurely due to being dispelled or losing concentration.

Practiced Diviner

You may cast a Divination spell of 5th level or lower as a ritual, even if it does not normally have the Ritual tag. Once you have done so, you may not use this ability again until you have completed a short or long rest.

Stormcaster

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal thunder or lightning damage in place of its usual damage type.

Once per turn, when an enemy is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals lightning damage, they cannot take reactions until the start of their next turn. If the spell deals thunder damage, they are pushed 5ft in a direction of your choice.

Telekine

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal force damage in place of its usual damage type. If you do, its damage dice are reduced one step in size-- from d12s to d10s, d10s to d8s, and so on. Spells that deal d4s of damage instead deal 1 damage per die.

Once per turn, when an enemy is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals force damage, they are pushed 5ft in a direction of your choice.

True Conjuration

When you cast a Conjuration spell, the effect manifested is fully real. As such, your Conjuration spells are unaffected by aesistance to magic damage, advantage on saves against spells, antimagic fields, and so on.

Versatile Caster

Upon choosing this feat, you learn one cantrip from your class list (or the Cleric list in the case of Paladins, or the Druid list in the case of Rangers). If you prepare spells, you may prepare an additional two spells at once; if you have a list of spells known, you may immediately learn two additional spells of first level or higher from your class list, which do not count towards your total number of spells known.

Vitriolic Sage

When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may choose to have it deal acid damage in place of its usual damage type.

Once per turn, when an enemy is affected by one of your spells of first level or higher that deals acid damage, their armor class is reduced by 1 until the beginning of your next turn.

John Out West
2019-01-10, 10:29 AM
Not bad, a lot of these are really useful and i would let my players use them. That being said, i do have some notes:

I think the general way to see if something is broken is to question if a player would use an ability every single time. Your Overchannel ability is broken, because I would use it every single time. It increases your spellcasting potential by a huge amount. Now instead of dealing 4d6 for a level 1 spell, i'm dealing 12d6 for 2, because it levels up by 4d6 for each of the 2 levels. Its essentially a 50% damage increase, not to mention i do it in half the time.

Flamebringer allows every non-fire spell to deal an additional 1d6 damage. So i'm definitely becoming a pyromancer; assuming i want to win the fight.

The Blighter is fine, although you need to say when they get their max Hp back. Usually what I do for necrotic attacks is make it so characters cannot heal until the start of their next turn. That way its super useful for Trolls, Werewolves, guys with healing potions, etc.

Practiced Diviner seems innocuous at first glance, but it can be used to cast the level 9 spell Forsight for free. So it doesn't scale well, and its essentially a must have at high levels.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-10, 11:53 AM
Not bad, a lot of these are really useful and i would let my players use them. That being said, i do have some notes:

I think the general way to see if something is broken is to question if a player would use an ability every single time. Your Overchannel ability is broken, because I would use it every single time. It increases your spellcasting potential by a huge amount. Now instead of dealing 4d6 for a level 1 spell, i'm dealing 12d6 for 2, because it levels up by 4d6 for each of the 2 levels. Its essentially a 50% damage increase, not to mention i do it in half the time.
What spell scales by 4d6 per level :smallconfused:? The most I can think of is Scorching Ray adding two more 2d6 rays.

Flamebringer allows every non-fire spell to deal an additional 1d6 damage. So i'm definitely becoming a pyromancer; assuming i want to win the fight.
It's an average of 3 damage next turn, of a commonly resisted damage type. I'll add a note about multiple hits not stacking (which wasn't my intent but could be read that way), but I don't think it's a big deal.

The Blighter is fine, although you need to say when they get their max Hp back. Usually what I do for necrotic attacks is make it so characters cannot heal until the start of their next turn. That way its super useful for Trolls, Werewolves, guys with healing potions, etc.
Whoop-- will do.

Practiced Diviner seems innocuous at first glance, but it can be used to cast the level 9 spell Forsight for free. So it doesn't scale well, and its essentially a must have at high levels.
How 'bout a "5th level spell or lower" clause? That should prevent excessive casting of 1/day spells like Foresight.

Wildarm
2019-01-10, 11:54 AM
All of them look pretty good. Few notes:

Telekine - Probably too strong due to the fact that force is generally the best damage type there is. Also does magic missle trigger the 5' movement multiple times? Might be a problem if so.

Overchannel - Possibly OP - it enables novas and likely has a few powerful combos with spells that scale well(Hold Person, Scorching Ray, Cure Wounds) . Possibly problematic for Evokers and Sorcerers /w Empowered/Quickened Metamagic. At the very least add a drawback to it. Cantrips only for 1 minute or a level of exhaustion perhaps.

Kane0
2019-01-11, 01:29 AM
I think Flamebringer should scale, its just not all that impressive for a whole ASI
Perhaps 1d6 per level of the spell cast

Arkhios
2019-01-11, 03:40 AM
I guess it's a rather silly question, but I want to be sure: what are the intended spells for the second benefit of the feats that alter the damage type:

A) All spells, including the altered spells, that deal a certain type of damage.

or

B) Only spells that would normally deal a certain type of damage.

The way I see it, both could be true, because altering a damage type alone (without the additional benefit) can make a lot of difference.

Another note:

Versatile Caster
The way it's written, it's available to everyone capable of casting at least one spell. That includes Paladins and Rangers, for example. However, those classes don't have access to Cantrips and as written the feat would do nothing for them.

I can see two possible solutions to this:
1) let those classes choose a cantrip from the list of a similar class (e.g. Paladins could choose from Cleric's list, Rangers could choose from Druid's list, etc.)
2) adjust the feat's requirement to require an ability or access to Cantrips in the first place.

Sariel Vailo
2019-01-11, 06:38 AM
As an ice mage im happy someone gave me some love.

DeTess
2019-01-11, 07:44 AM
I like this list. the only one I'm slightly worried about is abjure ally, because an additional point of AC can make a lot of difference (especially attached to a spell that already buffs AC), and it'll make keeping concentration easier as well. However, it's strictly a team benefit, so it shouldn't usually cause any overshadowing issues.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-11, 08:25 AM
All of them look pretty good. Few notes:

Telekine - Probably too strong due to the fact that force is generally the best damage type there is. Also does magic missle trigger the 5' movement multiple times? Might be a problem if so.
I was a bit worried, yeah. Maybe dropping the damage die a step?

And I think a "once/round" limit on all the extra effects would go well.

Overchannel - Possibly OP - it enables novas and likely has a few powerful combos with spells that scale well(Hold Person, Scorching Ray, Cure Wounds) . Possibly problematic for Evokers and Sorcerers /w Empowered/Quickened Metamagic. At the very least add a drawback to it. Cantrips only for 1 minute or a level of exhaustion perhaps.
Yeah... the more I look at it, the less I like it. Both from a balance perspective, and honestly from a conceptual perspective as well-- casters already nova well, they don't need more. I think I'll just strike it.

I think Flamebringer should scale, its just not all that impressive for a whole ASI
Perhaps 1d6 per level of the spell cast
Fire is one of the most resisted damage types, but 1d6/spell level seems like a lot. Maybe +1/spell level?

I guess it's a rather silly question, but I want to be sure: what are the intended spells for the second benefit of the feats that alter the damage type:

A) All spells, including the altered spells, that deal a certain type of damage.

or

B) Only spells that would normally deal a certain type of damage.

The way I see it, both could be true, because altering a damage type alone (without the additional benefit) can make a lot of difference.
It's supposed to be A, yeah.

Another note:

Versatile Caster
The way it's written, it's available to everyone capable of casting at least one spell. That includes Paladins and Rangers, for example. However, those classes don't have access to Cantrips and as written the feat would do nothing for them.

I can see two possible solutions to this:
1) let those classes choose a cantrip from the list of a similar class (e.g. Paladins could choose from Cleric's list, Rangers could choose from Druid's list, etc.)
2) adjust the feat's requirement to require an ability or access to Cantrips in the first place.
I think 1, yeah.

I like this list. the only one I'm slightly worried about is abjure ally, because an additional point of AC can make a lot of difference (especially attached to a spell that already buffs AC), and it'll make keeping concentration easier as well. However, it's strictly a team benefit, so it shouldn't usually cause any overshadowing issues.
That's kinda what I was hoping. It's hard to get upset about helping your buddies out.

Vogie
2019-01-13, 05:49 PM
True Conjuration

When you cast a Conjuration spell, the effect manifested is fully real. As such, your Conjuration spells are unaffected by aesistance to magic damage, advantage on saves against spells, antimagic fields, and so on.

Versatile Caster

You learn one cantrip from your class list (or the Cleric list in the case of Paladins, or the Druid list in the case of Rangers). If you prepare spells, you may prepare an additional two spells at once; if you have a list of spells known, you may learn two additional spells of first level or higher from your class list.

True Conjuration probably need limitations - one per short/long rest should work.

I'd like more specificity on Versatile Caster. For lists of spells known, do you learn 2 additional spells immediately when you gain this feat, or is that 2 spells when you would normally learn spells? Is it each time you learn spells?

Sindeloke
2019-01-13, 08:48 PM
I think Abjure Ally ought to either be just +2 AC or just concentration sharing. The +1 AC is not that strong imo but it's definitely too much on top of perpetual stackable proficient advantage on concentration.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-13, 09:21 PM
Added a feat for Radiant damage.

True Conjuration probably need limitations - one per short/long rest should work.
You think? It's a pretty situational benefit.

Cleaned up the language on Versatile Caster.

I think Abjure Ally ought to either be just +2 AC or just concentration sharing. The +1 AC is not that strong imo but it's definitely too much on top of perpetual stackable proficient advantage on concentration.
Compare to Warcaster, though: that also gives you advantage on concentration saves alongside other strong benefits.

Dragons_Ire
2019-01-14, 03:57 PM
I love these.

For the fire feat, maybe it could be called Pyromancer?

I like the rider, maybe have them catch on fire until someone takes an action to put out the fire, but the fire only deals (spell level) damage?

xkcd44
2019-01-17, 10:12 PM
I really like the flavour you've given to the different damage types. You might consider changing the Vitriolic Sage feat to make the AC scale with spell level, like the feats of other damage types do.

Scaling AC reductions is kinda tricky, it'd probably have to be some sort of tiered grouping (based on spell level?). Like, maybe the feat grants a -2AC reduction if the spell is of 4th-level or higher, and a -3AC reduction if it's above 7th-level. All in all, good stuff.

JNAProductions
2019-01-17, 10:21 PM
I really like the flavour you've given to the different damage types. You might consider changing the Vitriolic Sage feat to make the AC scale with spell level, like the feats of other damage types do.

Scaling AC reductions is kinda tricky, it'd probably have to be some sort of tiered grouping (based on spell level?). Like, maybe the feat grants a -2AC reduction if the spell is of 4th-level or higher, and a -3AC reduction if it's above 7th-level. All in all, good stuff.

Probably not needed. AC doesn't scale too much, so a -1 matters at level 1 or level 20.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-18, 10:39 AM

Probably not needed. AC doesn't scale too much, so a -1 matters at level 1 or level 20.
This. But there's also a question of the first part of the feat-- changing a spell to acid damage is a lot more useful than changing it to fire or cold, so the add-on needs to be weaker.