PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need assistance finishing my latest hombrew subclass, The Fatespinner sorcerer

Mancer
2019-01-17, 08:02 PM
Hi all, I have been working my way on this subclass for a bit now and have come to a stand still on the capstone feature. here's what I already have done, any help with this would be appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Spin fate
Starting at 1st level, you can alter the probability of your spells hitting or affecting your target. When you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you may spend 1 sorcery point to increase the attack bonus or save DC of the spell by 1d4. at 14th level this increases to 1d6. you may use this feature a number of times equal to your charisma modifier per long rest.

Minor Alteration
starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to subtly control the outcome of mundane events around you. you gain advantage on skill checks on chance based events, such as rolling dice, flipping a coin, or playing a card game. additionally, you gain proficiency with one gaming set you are not proficient with. you also learn the true strike cantrip, it does not count against your number of cantrips know.

Resist Fate
At 6th level, twice per long rest, you can alter your own fate or others in dire situations. as a reaction, when you or another creature within 30 ft of you that you can see would drop to 0 hit points, you may spend 3 sorcery points to instead have you or the creature drop to 1 hit point instead.

Change Fate
At 6th level, once per short rest, as a reaction, you may force any creature within 60 ft. of you that you can see to reroll any d20 roll.

Critical fate
Starting at 14th level, your spells eerily strike your foes weak points more often. your spell attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

level 18 feature
At 18th level, ...

John Out West
2019-01-17, 11:18 PM
Looks good so far. Typically, sorcerers only get one sixths level ability, so i'm not sure why you have two.

I feel like Minor Alteration could be powered up, as it seems weak compared to the other level 1 sorcerer abilities.

I'm surprised by how weak the level 18 abilities are for the other sorcerer subclasses, looking back at it. Its either a one exploding die per round, for a max of an extra d12 per turn, or a one minute fear/charm that costs 5 sorcery points. With that in mind, I would just change your Change Fate ability to your level 18 ability, as its about the right power level.

Vogie
2019-01-18, 09:30 AM
Spin Fate doesn't work as a first level feature... You don't get sorcery points until Sorcerer level 2.
Also, like John said, there should only be a single 6th level feature.

I could see something like:

Minor Alteration
At 1st level, you gain the ability to subtly control the outcome of mundane events around you. You gain advantage on skill checks on chance based events, such as rolling dice, flipping a coin, or playing a card game. Additionally, you gain proficiency with one gaming set you are not proficient with.

Chance Encounter
At 1st level, as a reaction, you or any creature within 30 ft. of you that you can see is forced to reroll any die. You regain the use of this feature after a short or long rest.

Avoid Fate
Starting at 6th level, twice per long rest, you can alter your own fate or others in dire situations. As a reaction, when you or another creature within 30 ft of you that you can see would drop to 0 hit points, you may spend 3 sorcery points to instead have you or the creature drop to 1 hit point instead.

Critical Fate
Starting at 14th level, your spells eerily strike your foes weak points more often. Your spell attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

Make Your Own Luck
At 18th level, if one of your spell attacks misses a target within range, you can turn the miss into a hit. Alternatively, if you fail an ability check, you can treat the d20 roll as a 20.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.