PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next D&D 5e Path of the Phoenix (Any Help Welcome)

Kr15t0ph3r
2019-01-19, 01:32 PM
Hi guys,

So this is my first post so i apologise if it’s horrendous.

In the campaign i’m Playing at the minute I’m a Fighter6/Barbarian4 Fire Genasi, with weapon of choice being Pyremaul (From the Tal’dorei Campiaign Setting).

Until last session we were only level 8 (F6/B2) but our DM gave us around a 30k XP Bump so that he could throw some scarier things at the party. I’ve chosen to add more barbarian levels, but none of the choices felt quite right.

In the lore my character, Mafiik Kalah, is the leader (or Phoenix) of the Fire Genasi and weilder of Pyremaul and we’re about to go fight devils for the next 5 or so levels. Looking at the choice of paths, none of them really seem to fit, so the DM & I decided to have ago at creating something.

This is the first draft, only mechanics thus far (it’s even worded pretty badly so i hope you can understand), but i’d Love to hear opinions on it, and any changes you’d make.

Level 3
Gain Fire Resistance.
When you enter rage deal Barb Level + Con Mod in fire damage in 5ft Area, 10 ft at level 10, which Ignores fire resistance & Immunity.
During Rage, bonus damage is fire damage instead of weapon damage, and attacks made ignore fire resistance and bring fire immunity down to fire resistance.

Level 6
When you drop to 0hp, deal damage equal to Barb Level + Con Mod in a 10 ft area (ignore resistance and immunity). While at 0hp, deal fire damage equal to Con Mod in a 5ft area at the start of your turn.

Level 10
Whenever you move during your rage, you leave a trail of fire in your path that lasts till the end of your next turn. Whenever a creature starts its turn in the fire, or moves through it, it takes Fire damage equal to your Con Mod

Level 14
Fire Immunity
Once per rage, you can use your reaction to absorb any fire damage taken and regain HP equal to half the damage taken.

JMS
2019-01-19, 04:32 PM
I have a few thoughts - first, most Barb paths give an out of combat boost at 6th - second, two things I think of when I hear Phoneix is flight and resurrection, maybe as the 14th level ability for flight, 10th for a back from dead ability, maybe replace the third level benefit with the tenth, or maybe the 3rd level path of the storm - desert aurora ability, with the pierce fire resistance/immunity thing