PDA

View Full Version : Artillery Golem [Creature]

Draken
2007-09-24, 05:52 PM
This is one of my prefered homebrews, a construct devised mainly for war. Right now, I am only placing the stats, still need to translate (and rework) the building of one.

If you ever wanted a golem that shoots fireballs out of their hands, here you go.

Artillery Golem
Large Construct
HD: 14d10+30 (107 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 90 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 21 (-1 size, +2 dex, +10 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+20
Attack: Claw +15 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +15 melee (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. /10 ft.
Special Attacks: Arcane Artillery, Body Slam, Improved Grapple
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 10/adamantine, Immunity to magic.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 15, Con - , Int - , Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Hover, Wingover
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Troup (3-6) or Squad (8-16)
CR: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 15-28 (Large), 29-42 (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

This creature resembles a winged humanoid with cylindrical arms armed with four claws evenly spaced surrounding a cavity. It bears a pair of metallic wings and powerful, but nimble legs.

Artillery Golems are war-designed constructs. Armed with the capability to deliver relentless magical attack and deal heavy damage in melee.
Artillery Golems bear a strong resemblance to Shield Guardians, but are entirely made of steel. They weight about 3000 pounds, and are roughly 11 ft. tall.
Artillery Golems do not speak.

Combat

Against enemies incapable of ranged attack, the Artillery Golem will usually be ordered to hover out of range blasting the targets with his Arcane Artillery ability. If the enemy proves to resist to the golem’s magical attack, or is able to deal effective damage with ranged attacks, the creature will land, using it’s Body Slam attack, and go into melee.
Arcane Artillery (Sp): With a standard action, the Artillery Golem can release an effect similar to a spell that was used in his creation. This ability can be used once every two rounds.
By using a full round action, the Artillery golem can release the spell twice, the two spells don’t need to be aimed at the same target or direction, when the construct uses this effect, he must wait for 1d4+1 rounds before using Arcane Artillery again.
The following spells are normally used on the making of Artillery Golems, but others can be used at the DM’s discretion: Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Cone of Cold.
Arcane Artillery has an effective caster level of 10°.
Body Slam (Ex): An Artillery Golem usually starts combat by falling from the sky on top of his enemies. This attack affects the full are were the construct lands, dealing 15d6 points of damage. A reflex save (DC 21) halves the damage. Creatures the same size of the golem or smaller are automatically pushed to an adjacent square, if the golem lands on a creature larger than himself, he is the one who is pushed to a nearby square, this movement doesn’t cause attacks of opportunity. The construct suffers no damage from such a fall.
Improved Grapple (Ex): To use this ability, the Artillery Golem must hit an opponent the same size as himself or smaller with his claw. He will be able to start a grapple attempt that doesn’t cause an attack of opportunity. The Artillery golem suffers no penalty for grappling a target with only one claw. A grappled target cannot make saves against the creature’s Arcane Artillery.
Immunity to Magic (Ex): Artillery Golems are immune to all magical and supernatural effects. An artillery golem also absorbs attacks based on the same kind of energy it uses, healing 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the effect would deal, excess healing becomes temporary hit points that last for one hour. They are not vulnerable to rust effects. The spell Metal to Wood negates the construct’s damage reduction and his ability to absorb damage for 1d4+1 rounds. The Artillery Golem is entitled to no save against these spells.

---------------------------

Opinions?

martyboy74
2007-09-24, 07:43 PM
Although it would probably change the CR, it would be incredibly cool if it could absorb evocation spells that it's hit with, and fire them back.

Draken
2007-09-24, 08:57 PM
The prime aspect of the creature can be described as:

"A golem with cannons in his arms."

I saw no point in giving such an ability (that would be rather hard to work with, in fact), so I limited myself to give him the power to absorb attacks based out on the same kind of energy it uses (fire, cold, eletricity, acid or sonic), I considered the effects of Energy Substitution (feat) and Elemental Mastery (Archmage class feature) when making it, so the spells Cone of Cold, Lightning Bolt and Fireball do nothing more than define the area.

Also, I forgot to add, but the two feats are bonus, but I just don't know the code to make that "b".

Yeril
2007-09-25, 09:50 AM
Add more special attacks?

The golem has 2 light self-reloading repeating crossbows (large so 2d6 damage) mounted on one arm.

Arrow Flurry
Once every 1d4 rounds, as a full round action the golem can unleash a flurry of 4d4 bolts, they don't have to be fired at the same target but all targets must be within 30ft of eachother. Each bolt requires a individual attack roll at a -5 penalty to hit.

Arrow Thrower
Alternativly the golem can fire at a slower pace, shooting one bolt per round as a swift action. This ability is usable any time they can use a flurry. the attack roll uses Full Bab for the construct.

Draken
2007-09-25, 02:45 PM
Gatling guns?

Heh, sounds interesting. A secondary weapon while the main cannons reload. I only wonder if that would change the CR of the creature. +1 maybe? Or do you think it wouldn't affect it much.

I will add it later, along with the normal ammunition the golem usually caries with itself.

But also, this would sound as a great "upgrade" for constructs in general.

I will add it when I am back home.

Triaxx
2007-09-26, 07:26 AM
I like it, though for that sort of attacking, I'd give it magic missile. Simulate it that way. It's certain to PO any player not smart enough to remember the Mage is immune.