PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e My Personal Attempt At Creating a Striker Version for Artificer

Pixie Assassin
2019-01-26, 05:07 AM
I personally won't allow my PCs to play the Artificer class because it's not good enough to be worthy of playing in my opinion, and I really wanted to create a striker version of Artificer anyways.

So, I started creating a Striker version of Artificer that is different.

I don't have an idea yet for what would be the offensive class build, but the defensive at-will of that build would be something about speeding up the Artificial Arm to make it grant you a shield bonus for 1 round.

I'm aware that the fact the class build that focuses on magical barriers and armors, leans towards both Controller and Defender, is a bit overpowered in some way, but I can't really think of how to fix it. The offensive class build would be more like scourge warlock in terms of how the powers work, but it would be melee-focused and have some daily powers that work similar to the "Get a few bonuses and you can unleash them with an attack" but focus on offense.

I would very like to hear an opinion :)

Role: Striker. You fight in the front lines of the battle with melee weaponry and armory enchanted magically that you infuse with powerful Arcane magic. You lean toward Controller and defender as a secondary role.

Power Source: Arcane. The cryptic formulas of arcane magic and the complex recipes of alchemy appeal to you. You also know a great deal about magic items.

Key Abilities: Intelligence, Constitution, Dexterity

Armor Proficiency: Cloth, Leather
Weapon Proficiency: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged, Artificial Hand
Implements: Artificial Hand
Bonuses to Defenses: +2 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution Score
Hit Points Gained per Level: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills:
Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), History (Int), Thievery (Dex)

Class Features:

Arcane Trap:
Once per round, you can place 5 Arcane traps in 10 unoccupied squares that you can see, that last until the end of your next turn. The traps occupy their squares and are invisible to your enemies. Whenever an enemy tries to enter a square of a trap, it takes 1d4 ongoing damage. You roll the 1d4 when the enemy enters the square of the trap, and the result of the roll is the ongoing damage. The ongoing damage last for 2 rounds, but the enemy can make a saving throw at the first turn during which it takes the ongoing damage. The ongoing damage increases to 2d4 at 11st level and 3d4 at 21st level.
Special: Every d4 of ongoing damage is rolled separately and its damage is dealt with separately, meaning the target needs to make a saving throw for each d4 separately.
Placing the Arcane traps does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Artificial Hand:
You get a weapon called an "Artificial Hand". It's a hand made of steel that replaces your main hand's arm. The artificial hand functions like a normal hand and as a spiked gauntlet, but its damage die is 1d10 and it has a proficiency bonus of +3. In addition, you are proficient with the artificial hand.
The artificial hand functions as an implement for your Artificer powers; you can add its enchantment bonus to your implement powers' attack and damage rolls, but you don't use its proficiency bonus for those powers.

Ritual Casting:
You gain the Ritual Caster feat as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals.

Class builds:

Guarding Artificer:
You prefer to use the Arcane magic to create magical armors and barriers that protect you. Intelligence should be your primary score, followed by Constitution because you want to focus on Defense. Choose powers that protect you and harm enemies when they attack you. You lean toward Controller and Defender as secondary roles.

At-will powers:

Barrier of Flames ✦ Arcane, Implement, Fire
"You create a magical barrier of flame around your body that burns nearby enemies. Once an enemy dares attack you, the flames blast it."
Standard Action, Personal
Effect: Until the start of your next turn, enemies that start their turn adjacent to you take fire damage equal to your Intelligence modifier. When an enemy makes a melee attack against you, the effect ends, and you make the following secondary attack.
Ranged 5
Trigger: An enemy makes a ranged or melee against you
__Target: The triggering enemy
__Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
__Hit: Intelligence modifier fire damage.
Level 21: The damage dealt to enemies adajcent to you and the damage from the secondary attack, both increase to twice your Intelligence modifier.

Force Ward ✦ Arcane, Implement, Force
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You take the Total Defense action
Effect: The bonus to your defenses equals half your Constitution modifier instead. As a free action when you are hit by an attack, you can reduce the attack's damage by an amount equal to your Constitution modifierm, and make an Intelligence implement attack. If the attack's result is higher than the result of the triggering attack, the attack instead deals no damage and has no other effect. Once you take this free action, the bonus to your defenses ends.