PDA

View Full Version : What would change if you doubled everything?

SociopathFriend
2019-01-30, 04:41 AM
Hypothetically a new edition comes out: DD&D5e.

It resembles 5th edition exactly except all dice and scores are doubled.
Is your hit die a d8? Now it's 2d8.
Do you get one attack? Now you get two.
Perform this action once per short rest? Now you can do it twice.

You still have the standard action, bonus action, and reaction economy though.

What, if anything, would be the most drastic change this creates between normal 5e and Double 5e?

Dualswinger
2019-01-30, 05:26 AM
Fights would take much longer, since while both damage and health pools are doubled, they aren’t rising at the same rate.

This would discourage nova builds and put more emphasis on tanking.

Also, ongoing effects that allow saving throws would be reduced in effectiveness.

Skylivedk
2019-01-30, 05:42 AM
Spellcasting not focused on dice is much worse, since they compete against double the damage from Attack actions.

MeimuHakurei
2019-01-30, 05:50 AM
What about all instances of rules where a thing is doubled? Are they now tripled or quadrupled?

noob
2019-01-30, 06:31 AM
Hypothetically a new edition comes out: DD&D5e.

Is your hit die a d8? Now it's 2d8.
Do you get one attack? Now you get two.
Perform this action once per short rest? Now you can do it twice.

You still have the standard action, bonus action, and reaction economy though.

What, if anything, would be the most drastic change this creates between normal 5e and Double 5e?

Fights between weapon attack users would last half the previous time they took since they got twice the number of attacks and twice the damage while having only twice the hit points.
Meanwhile people who use stuff that are not attacks deals the same damage as before relatively to the hit points of the opponent unless you get double the spells cast per turn and so on.
Spells like magic missile would progress relatively to spells that does not have a number of attacks.
AOE and range would be even bigger than before while speed would double too and the size of each thing would double which would have no real effect.

hymer
2019-01-30, 06:34 AM
fights between weapon attack users would last half as short since they got twice the number of attacks and twice the damage while having only twice the hit points.
Very soon they won't be able to hit anything, though, as doubling AC is a much bigger deal than doubling the proficiency bonus.

noob
2019-01-30, 06:37 AM
Very soon they won't be able to hit anything, though, as doubling AC is a much bigger deal than doubling the proficiency bonus.
well the amount of dice in an attack roll is doubled too as are the stats that increase attack rolls.
So someone with +6 proficiency and +5 from stats would get to +15 from stats and +12 from proficiency and would roll 2d20.
The person in front would have optimally +15 from stats to armor and so would not wear plate or stuff like that due to the huge boost from stats he would lose so it would probably be like 2d20+15+12 vs 20+15(unless the opponent have class features like unarmored defense which would boost the defense to something like 28+15).

hymer
2019-01-30, 06:40 AM
well the amount of dice in an attack roll is doubled too as are the stats that increase attack rolls.
Good point. Though the stats increasing attack rolls will be countered by doubling the stats that increase AC. Monks and barbs will be happy, and light armour will be the only way to go.

noob
2019-01-30, 06:42 AM
Good point. Though the stats increasing attack rolls will be countered by doubling the stats that increase AC. Monks and barbs will be happy, and light armour will be the only way to go.
which would even out in the end meaning that people will hit each other roughly as much as before but attack twice as much and deal double damage and have double the hit points.

BreaktheStatue
2019-01-30, 06:44 AM
I mean...why? Is this supposed to solve some sort of problem or is it just a point of curiosity?

noob
2019-01-30, 06:47 AM
Also I figured out I made an error if we double everything we also double the number of points before getting boost from a stat and we increase the modifier for every 4 points meaning that people will have the same ability modifiers as before meanwhile worn armor would deal twice the previous modifiers and allow twice as much dex meaning that even dex builds will use heavier armors than before.

hymer
2019-01-30, 06:51 AM
worn armor would deal twice the previous modifiers and allow twice as much dex meaning that even dex builds will use heavier armors than before.
The dex cap for armour would remain at +4 for medium or +0 for heavy. A former score of 10 in dex would become a 20, giving +10 to AC (two times +5). You'd have to go light armour.

Edit: Full Plate would give AC 36 and require 30 str to wear without penalty. Studded leather would be 24+20 AC at 30 dex, and with an option to up that dex to 40 for AC 54 64 no, right the first time, 54.

SociopathFriend
2019-01-30, 04:28 PM
I mean...why? Is this supposed to solve some sort of problem or is it just a point of curiosity?

Blatant curiosity. I did a few game design classes in college plus my brother is attempting to make his own table-top game. I have no particular interest in the field but this is an idea I was just curious about.

Basically I was contemplating the idea of, "Epic D&D" so to speak. Ramping everything up to 11.
Twice as many attacks, twice as much damage, twice as much health, twice as many spells, etc.

Blood of Gaea
2019-01-30, 04:33 PM
Blatant curiosity. I did a few game design classes in college plus my brother is attempting to make his own table-top game. I have no particular interest in the field but this is an idea I was just curious about.

Basically I was contemplating the idea of, "Epic D&D" so to speak. Ramping everything up to 11.
Twice as many attacks, twice as much damage, twice as much health, twice as many spells, etc.
Look into Gestalt.

Unoriginal
2019-01-30, 04:48 PM

"So according to this table, the average human is 6'4'' and weight 270 lbs"

Son of A Lich!
2019-01-30, 05:02 PM
Spellcasting not focused on dice is much worse, since they compete against double the damage from Attack actions.

This is empirically false.

Wall of Force does not care about how much damage a sword can do, and Maze spells are nigh impossible to get out of (Requiring an intelligence check of 40, and with doubled the modifier which is often zero or negative. Even with Modifier of +1 (or plus two, post doubling) you would need to roll a 19-20 twice to get out of it).

On top of that, you have twice as many spells slots and twice as many spells prepared a day.

Shield for +10 AC is pretty nice when you can't wear armor, except Mage Armor, which used to provide a +5 bonus (8+Mage Armor = 13), but now provides a huge improvement of +18 (8+ Mage Armor = 26).

If anything, fights are going to take longer because 2d20s isn't a linear progression, but a bell curve. Every +1 is going to count for a lot and then have diminishing returns once you over come the initial advantage.

SociopathFriend
2019-01-30, 05:02 PM
"So according to this table, the average human is 6'4'' and weight 270 lbs"

Well I did point out "everything" wasn't literally everything seeing as I pointed out the action economy remains the same. Though theoretically everything doubled in size would leave all of the world exactly the same in general sense of scale.

Unoriginal
2019-01-30, 05:07 PM
Well I did point out "everything" wasn't literally everything seeing as I pointed out the action economy remains the same. Though theoretically everything doubled in size would leave all of the world exactly the same in general sense of scale.

You said "all dice and scores", and I only referred to the height/weight table, which has results based on dice and scores, while the other sizes and weight remains the same.

It was just a joke, anyway.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-30, 05:22 PM
Everything that's a fixed constant gets really weird. Take a look at things that interact with spell slots.

Like Sorcery Points. Do you double the number of points? Do you keep them the same? Are their costs increased or decreased?

Now that you've made a decision with Sorcery points, let's move on to Counterspell and Dispel Magic. Does your previous ruling still apply?

How do you rule what magic items do that recharge based on a die? Is that doubled?