PDA

View Full Version : The Cube (IC)



Pages : 1 [2]

Grrth
2007-11-20, 10:45 AM
Hotaru:

"Well, twiggy or not, it doesn't look like we'll be coming back this way. Unless anyone has any bright ideas to keep the door propped open? Gah! I hate mud!"

Bender
2007-11-20, 10:54 AM
Hynerst

In his usual nervous and monotonous way:
"We have to return this way, there is no other way, if the door is trapped from this side, we can't leave. We can't make a hole in the walls. Can you remove the door from its hinges? As that is probably out safest option not to be closed in."

Hynerst doesn't move closer, but has his crossbow prepared when someone opens the door.

hexonxonx
2007-11-20, 05:55 PM
The door swings open towards you. It has no visible hinges; it seems to swing on pivots punched below and above the door on it's left side. It is not locked, but is extremely heavy. It can be opened by a large metal ring on it's right side.

hexonxonx
2007-11-20, 06:05 PM
Does anybody want to try opening it?

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-20, 09:29 PM
John

OOC: *Du-du-du-doo! Du-da-doo!* *Herioc Pose* I will!

IC: John gingerly touches the heavy door, then withdraws. He looks back at everyone. "I don't suppose anyone bothered searching this for traps?"

OOC: Or not.

Taffimai
2007-11-21, 05:21 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"I'm afraid none of us really know how to do that," Linon says with a sorrowful look, looking questioningly at the spellcasters of the group - you never know what kind of tricks they might have up their sleeves.

"If it comes down to taking our chances with it, I would suggest that Jarek opens the door. After all, he is the one favoured by Lady Luck, and if it does go wrong, the two of you will share the damage. I think that would be better than risking grievous injury on just one of us.

Mister Whistkingstone is right, though. Before we press on, we should make sure that we'll be able to get out again. Anybody have any ideas how we might keep those doors from shutting us in?"

OOC
Hexonxonx, do you still check the OOC thread? Would you prefer we ask all our questions here?

Bender
2007-11-21, 07:09 AM
Hynerst

At the mention of traps, Hynerst starts breeding faster.
"I can check for arcane traps."
He starts to mumble, moving his hand in practised gestures. His eyes grow less dull as he casts detect magic. Regardless of whether he sees anything on the door or not, he continues to concentrate on the spell.
just in case: spellcraft +14

webgem
2007-11-21, 12:36 PM
Jarek

Jarek shrugs and smiles.

"I'm not opposed to trying my luck, although I am feeling a little bit akward, I forgot to prepare my traps spell. On the other hand, as far as damage goes, I don't actually share my damage with John, only the other way, but heck, here's my lesson if it hits me for not preparing that spell."

Jarek reaches out and attempts to open the door.

(edit, oh yeah, I forgot to add...that I wait to see if arcane traps appear, if that is the case I'd probably try to dispel first, I'm into luck but not stupid.....but this is only an edit, so I'll take the stupidity if it comes)

hexonxonx
2007-11-21, 12:45 PM
Hynerst: There are no arcane traps on the door. Keep in mind that detect magic is blocked by an inch of metal, so can't be sure there are no arcane traps immediately behind the door. But the door itself is not arcane trapped.

[ooc: I do check the OOC thread. You might simply want to post here in ooc asides to make all of our dialogue appear in one place.]

Taffimai
2007-11-21, 02:14 PM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon pulls a larger piece of muddy wood out of their wall.

"We could try to block the door with this, I suppose... but I have no idea whether that would suffice to keep it open."

As soon as someone decides to open the door, she moves aside and in front of Hynerst - you never know when things will blow up on you.

OOC
I humbly apologise to Jarek for forgetting that Shield Other only works one way. I was mainly thinking of the fact that clerics of Luck get to reroll their save if it's necessary.

Bender
2007-11-21, 05:07 PM
Hynerst

After carefully studying the door from a distance: "There are no traps I can detect, but a clever and devious mind might have hidden a trap behind the door to make it undetectable. Those who made this cube were certainly clever and devious enough."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-21, 10:57 PM
John

John puts his hand on Jarek's shoulder. "I'll do it, but thanks for the offer. I'd rather have myself get hurt than one of you guys."

Grrth
2007-11-22, 11:55 AM
Hotaru:

Speaking of not being stupid ... :smallwink: ... Ru will duck out of immediate line of sight of the door. He also has his bow at the ready.

"Say, if the door is opening towards us, will the mud keep it propped open?"

hexonxonx
2007-11-22, 12:06 PM
(OOC: This is something that Knowledge architecture could help out in)

hexonxonx
2007-11-22, 12:09 PM
Jerek opens the door and...nothing happens. It's easy to move despite it's enormous weight because of excellent technological design, which impresses Loretta, who has an eye for smoothly designed metal artifacts. However, the weight of the water rushing into the next room is pushing the door closed slowly but steadily.

Bender
2007-11-22, 12:22 PM
(OOC: This is something that Knowledge architecture could help out in)
[roll0]
If nothing possibly harmful happens, hynerst keeps concentrating on the detect magic to see into the next room. Afterwards he'll probably take a look at the door: what is the material? are there carvings/reliefs?

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-22, 12:32 PM
John rushes over to keep the door pushed open.


[roll0] Strength check.

Taffimai
2007-11-22, 01:32 PM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

As nothing harmful happens, Linon walks over to a spot from where she can look through the door inside the next room. She peers inside and scans it for anything evil.

"We should be careful. Whatever killed the comrades from our map-makers might still be there, invisible or hiding on another plane..."

[roll0] and detecting evil, obviously.
In case anybody wonders, she is interpreting 'our comrades fell' as in 'fallen heroes, slain by something terrible', rather than 'falling into a pit trap'. For all we know, that piece of information refers to two people who fell in love with each other, stole the party's gold and made off to the elemental plane of fire:smallwink:

hexonxonx
2007-11-23, 12:45 AM
Beyond the door is a stairway going up, after that an open space. You can't tell much about the room beyond it now, as it is mainly beyond your line of sight. The two detect spells (evil and magic) can't "see" anything from this vantage point, as there is no line of sight access.

Grrth
2007-11-24, 12:42 AM
Hotaru:

While he knows he can't see as well in the dark as dwarves, Ru will move up to the door and take a look around with his low-light vision, and listen to see if he can detect anything. Just trying to be helpful, not all danger will light up for a magical detection! :smallbiggrin:

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]

hexonxonx
2007-11-24, 02:03 PM
Hotaru hears or sees nothing beyond the stairwell.

Taffimai
2007-11-25, 09:30 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"It looks like we will have to wait a while longer to sate our curiosity. On the other hand, this gives us the time we need to devise something to keep this door open before John tires of being a doorstop. Loretta, you must have built wooden structures before, and Mister Whistkingstone, Ru, the two of you possess a great deal of knowledge, what suggestions do you have?"

((OOC: Assuming here that Hynerst's 22 on Knowledge (Architecture) was sufficient to give him insight as to how to best tackle this, and that he would say so))

"Thank you, Mister Whistkingstone, that sounds like an excellent plan. So I put this log down like this, and then another one next to it... how about this one, would that be big enough?"

She carries out Hynersts instructions as well as she can until some kind of structure is in place that everybody is happy with. As she grasps her mace and shield, she looks down her muddy front. Just like Loretta, she is all but covered in mud now. Grinning, she turns towards Hynerst and spreads her arms to show off the dirt.

"I'm not usually one to come back on my word, Mister Whistkingstone, but I'm afraid that carrying you across the mud now would be quite counterproductive."

Still grinning, she looks up at the stairs.

"Well, then, shall we? John, how about you lead the way this time?"

Otakutaylor
2007-11-25, 02:20 PM
Loretta

Shaking a bit of mud from her fingers so she could better wipe her face and eyes, Loretta laughs.

"Heh, what we wouldn't do for a gnomish door brake." Loretta jests. Reaching for her pack she pulls out a small throwing hammer. "Guess if all else fails, we can settle for the dwarven one, wedge a hammer in it. Not like the doors can completely close with a big metal hammer stuck between them."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-25, 02:28 PM
John



"Well, then, shall we? John, how about you lead the way this time?"

John smiles and unsheathes his sword and puts up his shield. He points his sword down the stairwell, and says, "Gladly, milady. Tally-ho!"

As John descends into the stair, he keep his shield up, moves slow, and crouches low, preparing for any traps. He also looks and listens for anything.

Using Darkvision
[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

Taffimai
2007-11-26, 07:56 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon follows John, making sure to look in all directions and listening for any sign of danger. As soon as she reaches the spot beyond which she couldn't see before, she starts detecting evil again.

[roll0] and [roll1]

webgem
2007-11-26, 12:22 PM
Jarek

Jarek follows after, doing his best to keep in range for the spell, he readies his crossbow and looks about. (OOC does somebody have a light out? is it okay if I have one out, because I'm the only one without lowlight or darkvision, and I don't want to spoil any surprise we might have, I have an everburning torch, probably not in actual torch form though, I was imagining more of a amulet I could put around my neck, anyways my post is the same either way just I can see if there is light, not if there isn't :smallcool: ) He attempts to peer about and listen carefully.


[roll0] listen
[roll1] spot

hexonxonx
2007-11-26, 08:39 PM
The stairway occupies squares A5, A4, B5, B4 (make sure you are using the "standard chess coordinates; this places the stairway on the lefthand side of the room right against the wall. The stairway takes you all up ten feet. You see that the walls are intricately decorated. Every inch of the walls depicts a graphic scene. It's almost like reading a story in a language none of you understand. (But you could Decipher Script DC 20 to figure it out) On the first wall (Where the door emerges from): Adventurers decked out in armor raid what seems to be a genie's fortress deep under the earth. On the second wall: They slay a huge and particularly fat genie with their swords. On the third wall: They haul off sacks full of treasure of all varieties: gold, silver, rubies, sapphires, diamonds and intricately woven tapestries of mithril thread. On the fourth wall: They are all prone, lying flat with their exposed faces and hands swarming with what appears to be some kind of flying insects. They appear to be in mortal agony.

The floors at the bottoms of the north, east and south walls (not the western wall you are closest to) are piled with what appears to be gold and jewels.

On the floor in squares F6, G7 and E2 are empty suits of plate mail armor surrounded by piles of gold.

The floor is a dull metallic color.

The door out is on the wall south of squares D1 and E1.

Linon does detect evil everywhere in the room. Do you want to continue focusing on it, knowing you could get stunned by it if it is particularly powerful?

hexonxonx
2007-11-26, 08:41 PM
By the way, the door to room 3 is closed.

Bender
2007-11-27, 02:05 AM
Hynerst

Coming up last, Hynerst is intrigued by the decorations. He mumbles: "Our fellows fell… we climbed a staircase, so these floors are at an elevation. They are probably trapped and make anyone treading on them fall down ...all the gold is gone... The treasures we see might be illusions ...but we dare not retrieve it... Are they only afraid of the traps, or is there something else?"
I really should have taken ranks in decipher script, he's supposed to be good at it, anyway, an intelligence check instead? [roll0]
Are there any knowledge checks I can make for recognising anything in the decorations? You can make them if there are more...
[roll1]
[roll2]
Oh, and in case Hynersts detect magic is still on (lasts for 5 minutes), he also checks out the treasures and the suits of armour

Taffimai
2007-11-27, 04:38 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon reaches forth and lays her hand on John's upper arm to make sure she has his attention.

"I sense evil in this room. It is all around us..."

She turns back to the others and says "I'm going to try and find out where exactly it's coming from."

((OOC: now that she has warned the others, she concentrates on it to see how bad it is. If she gets stunned, there are enough people here with detect spells to know what that means))

Grrth
2007-11-27, 12:05 PM
Hynerst

Coming up last, Hynerst is intrigued by the decorations. He mumbles: "Our fellows fell… we climbed a staircase, so these floors are at an elevation. They are probably trapped and make anyone treading on them fall down ...all the gold is gone... The treasures we see might be illusions ...but we dare not retrieve it... Are they only afraid of the traps, or is there something else?"
I really should have taken ranks in decipher script, he's supposed to be good at it, anyway, an intelligence check instead? [roll0]
Are there any knowledge checks I can make for recognising anything in the decorations? You can make them if there are more...
[roll1]
[roll2]
Oh, and in case Hynersts detect magic is still on (lasts for 5 minutes), he also checks out the treasures and the suits of armour


Hotaru:

Would knowledge (history): [roll0]
or knowledge (arcana): [roll1]
help Hynerst puzzle out the walls?

Ru will try that if he can, otherwise stand by (I believe he's bringing up the rear), and try to stay alert for attack. Those empty suits of armor look enough like the wall pictures that it seems like a warning!

hexonxonx
2007-11-27, 05:43 PM
Linon: You discover 15 Moderate Evil Presences distributed evenly across the room, in every place except the 10 foot square occupied by the stairwell. It is not evil enough to stun you.

Hynerst: You discover a Strong aura across the entire floor. Make a Spellcraft roll if you want to determine the type of magic associated with it.

History check: These are the djinn of Irim, an ancient city protected by Earth Elemental magic. Their secret defenses involved manipulation of the magnetic properties of all types of metal.

hexonxonx
2007-11-27, 05:45 PM
The armor and the gold is apparently non-magical. That, or the aura of the magical fields is overpowering whatever magical properties they have.

Bender
2007-11-28, 12:56 AM
Hynerst

He concentrates on the aura's
[roll0]

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-28, 07:38 AM
John

John stands at the bottom of the stairwell, shield raised and ready for attacks.

Taffimai
2007-11-28, 08:56 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"Two, four, seven, eight, twelve, fourteen, fifteen..."

Silently, Linon counts the evil presences, then turns towards the others again.

"There are fifteen evil... things... in this room. It's not the treasure or the suits of armour, they are spread out throughout the room, but I have no idea whether they are invisible creatures or something else. They're not particularly powerful, but still, something here is making me nervous...

It's the room! It just doesn't add up. If the floor is trapped to make you fall down, how come that armour is still lying on top of it? I can understand that if the gold is an illusion, it would reappear as the trap resets, but not the armour. It makes no sense to create a trap and then leave big warning signs."

((OOC: wouldn't John be standing at the top of the stairs, since he went up first? Am I picturing this room the wrong way?))

webgem
2007-11-28, 02:14 PM
Jarek

"They're evil, and maybe invisible? Anybody mind if I take a pot shot with my crossbow...can you give me specific directions Linon?"

Jarek raises his crossbow, and prepares to shoot.

Taffimai
2007-11-28, 03:12 PM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"There is one right over there, about eight feet in that direction." Linon points out the closest entity. "I'm not entirely sure shooting at it before Mister Whistkingstone and Ru are done studying the walls would be a good idea, though. There might be a better way to destroy these things."

Grrth
2007-11-28, 06:33 PM
Hotaru:

Ru scratched his head. "I dunno, Hynerst, all I can figure is that this has something to do with the djinn of Irim. That's an ancient city protected by Earth Elemental magic. Their secret defenses involved manipulation of the magnetic properties of all types of metal."

He looked out over the room. "I thought this was supposed to be some evil queen's lair or something. What has that to do with djinns?"

:smallbiggrin:

hexonxonx
2007-11-28, 06:52 PM
Hynerst determines the auras are of the Transmutation subtype.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-28, 10:29 PM
John


Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"Two, four, seven, eight, twelve, fourteen, fifteen..."

Silently, Linon counts the evil presences, then turns towards the others again.

"There are fifteen evil... things... in this room. It's not the treasure or the suits of armour, they are spread out throughout the room, but I have no idea whether they are invisible creatures or something else. They're not particularly powerful, but still, something here is making me nervous...

It's the room! It just doesn't add up. If the floor is trapped to make you fall down, how come that armour is still lying on top of it? I can understand that if the gold is an illusion, it would reappear as the trap resets, but not the armour. It makes no sense to create a trap and then leave big warning signs."

((OOC: wouldn't John be standing at the top of the stairs, since he went up first? Am I picturing this room the wrong way?))

John waves his sword slowly in the air of the room. "What if the floor itself is an illusion?. You step onto it, fall right through because nothing is there, and die? The gold isn't real, and maybe the armor isn't either. It could all be an illusion, and only one path on the 'floor' is real? And on the path, the evil things attack you, trying to knock you off."

OOC:Ghostbuster!
I'm not sure, but John stands closest to the room.

webgem
2007-11-29, 01:55 AM
Jarek

Jarek pulls his longspear out of his pack, and starts to poke at the floors if nobody stops him.

Bender
2007-11-29, 03:08 AM
Hynerst

Hynerst speaks in short, quick burst, clearly nervous and oddly excited.
"I recognise the djinn of Irim as well. Maybe the story is a warning and an analogy. The floor has strong magic on it, more powerful than simple illusions, which is good, because I don't like illusions. It is transmutation magic, the power of change. The floor might drop down in places, grow teeth, absorb the gold, or the spell could even be projected on us or something else when triggered."
He stops to take a deep breath
"The paintings might hint to a possible effect of the transmutation, the treasure they took might have transmuted to angry insects, which is not good. Although I can't detect any magic on the treasures, it might be weaker and overwhelmed by the floor's stronger aura."
Sadly, he continues "I could try to dispel it, but I'm sorry, the power of my magic has a large chance of failing against this, as the Lady of Glau-kton must have been much more powerful. And even on success the magic might return."

Taffimai
2007-11-29, 05:14 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

When Linon sees Jarek take his longspear, she steps aside to give him free access to the room and floor.

"Good thinking, Jarek, you can test John's theory"


[B]"Their secret defenses involved manipulation of the magnetic properties of all types of metal""

"What does that mean, Ru, "the magnetic properties of all types of metal"? I don't see any types of special metal in these pictures..."

((OOC: I meant to ask before, but are those evil presences moving or not? And to which extend are we allowed to metagame? I have thought of another possible way this room might work, but I doubt Linon would come up with that. Can I make a suggestion to our two smarties?
Edit - nvm, I thought of something))

hexonxonx
2007-11-29, 05:33 PM
The head of Jarek's longspear is sucked to the ground by some unseen force, and it's difficult (though not impossible) to pull it free from the floor. The floor itself seems very solid, as if it indeed made of some type of metal.

Grrth
2007-11-29, 09:19 PM
Hotaru:

"Ah-ha!" cried Ru suddenly. "I got it! Magnets!" He chuckled. "Really, very clever."

Bender
2007-11-30, 01:53 AM
Hynerst

Hynerst slowly bends down to study the floor with his hand, then he takes out a copper, a silver and a gold to test the reactions of the different materials.
[roll0]
Is this setting anything like the real world where gold, silver and copper wouldn't be attracted by magnets? If so, would Hynerst know?
edit: does he know anything about how magic can make something magnetic? (knowledge arcana +15)
He speaks softly, more to himself than to the others, while studying the floor.
"If they somehow made the floor magically magnetic, that might also explain the transmutation aura's"

hexonxonx
2007-11-30, 10:50 PM
The floor looks simply to be cold iron. The gold, silver and copper are all equally attracted to the floor, as strongly as the steel head of the spear.

Taffimai
2007-12-03, 09:51 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"So what you two are saying is that our armour is going to stick to the floor so we won't be able do defend ourselves properly when those evil things attack us, am I right?

Well, do you know of anything we could use to block it with? You know, the way lead blocks detection? Perhaps if we throw enough mud on the floor, we'll be able to walk across it normally... Oh, and Jarek, try some other spots on the floor, too. John's idea might still be valid."

webgem
2007-12-03, 10:19 AM
Jarek

Jarek pokes about a couple different areas. "So should I try to shoot them, seems to make sense if we might be weighed down by armor."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-03, 09:30 PM
John shakes his head. "I'm assuming your arrows will have metal heads, so, it would not be a good idea. The arrows would probably get stuck to something before hitting anything."

Bender
2007-12-04, 02:07 AM
Hynerst

"Perhaps the only purpose of the magnetic floor is to protect the treasure, and if we take the right route on the floor without touching the treasure, we're save? This calls indeed for a careful study of the magnetic field. Is it different at different locations, or at different heights? Hopefully, we can lift our metal equipment and cross safely."
Suddenly, he freezes in his upcoming enthusiasm about this strange phenomenon.
"But then there are those evil things..." Until know he was talking to no one in particular, and he seems to struggle to address someone. "Ho... hotaru, do you perhaps know a spell to reveal invisible creatures? I must admit my failure concerning this. Otherwise, we could try splashing some drops of water?"

Taffimai
2007-12-04, 09:29 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I really don't fancy walking through a room infested with evil things without any armour on. If you can't think of anything to put on the floor so we can walk over it safely, then I propose trying to draw them out first. We can make use of the stairs to not have to fight them all at once.

Revealing them might be a first thing to try. Even if Ru does not have an appropriate spell, we can always splatter them with mud, there's plenty of that."

She looks hesitantly at Jarek before she continues.

"I thought of something else we might try, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you think they might be ghosts of some sort? How would you feel about trying to turn them?"

[roll0] just in case it might tell us something.

webgem
2007-12-04, 10:41 AM
Jarek

Jarek nods at Linon's suggestion. "That seems reasonable enough, but I am only able to draw on my powers in that area so many times per day, perhaps if we could do that water trick, or perhaps I could just aim high with my crossbow. It doesn't seem to be a completely powerful field, so I think I'll test it out if that is okay, then maybe we could try some water, and as a last resort use the turning okay?" If he hears any agreement, Jarek aims his crossbow and the nearest invisible thing, aims high, and tells everyone to prepare. He then fires assuming nobody reaches out to stop him, or says no when he asked about his plan.


[roll0] to hit
[roll1] dam
[roll2] miss chance, did 1d100

Grrth
2007-12-04, 11:50 AM
OOC:
Being I'm at work, I'll have to check on that spell, but I don't think so. I could try singing? I have the capability (don't know about talent, considering my 'rolls' in that area, :smalltongue: but it might be worth a try) to fascinate anything that can hear me.

And do we really want to shoot and annoy and probably have something attack us that we can't see? Although, I do think I have a faerie fire spell which should light them up.

I'll check tonight and get on again and hopefully won't be too late in contributing! :smallredface:

hexonxonx
2007-12-04, 05:47 PM
Jarek's bolt falls in an extreme arc towards the floor near to where he was aiming. Obviously, it was drawn to the floor.

Linon: The time period you are talking about is two thousand years ago; you can think of nothing in your religious training that corresponds to this.

Grrth
2007-12-04, 08:38 PM
Hotaru:
Ru scratches his head, then grins at Linon. "As a matter of fact, I do have a spell that can reveal invisible creatures." Now his face droops a little. "But it only affects a ten-foot radius and I can only cast it twice."

He bounces a little on his toes at the prospect of action. "Shall I, then? Before good Jarek tries to shoot something he can't see?"

The spell I have in mind is called Glitterdust and anything in the room is well within my range, the limitation being the area of affect. The spell says "a cloud of golden particles covers everything and everyone in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades." It'll last only for 50 seconds (5 combat rounds), and a will save negates the blinding effect (only). If we want to use this spell, we have to be prepared to act on it right away.

The actual "see invisibility" spell I won't get unless I take another bard level. :smallfrown:

BTW, for future reference, I can also detect magic, so Hynerst can use that spell slot for something else, if he wants to. And it turns out that I can completely enthrall 4HD worth of creatures, for whatever that's worth.

Bender
2007-12-05, 01:45 AM
Hynerst

"I think we should be careful about using our limited magical resources. I agree that mud could already reveal some information."

OOCglitterdust can be useful if we actually have to fight it. Perhaps someone should first try the mud splashing, so we at least know something tangible is there. Hynerst also already noted to himself that see invisibility should be in his spellbook.
If anything mind-affecting would work, maybe someone could try talking to them first? (if they are creatures, do they move?)

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-05, 08:12 AM
John

John walks towards the mud, scoops some up, and walks back. "I highly doubt mud is magnetic. Linon, what is the direction of the nearest creature?" He says.

Taffimai
2007-12-05, 09:51 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon concentrates on the evil presences again and points at the nearest.

"Are you sure it wouldn't be easier if I just threw the mud myself?"

You posted while I was making the post saying Linon threw mud herself :smalltongue: I actually had plans with that wooden shield of hers, but she wouldn't ignore John like that. Keep in mind that with splash weapons you can just target the floor rather than the creature, which is useful against invisible oponents.

Also, the Knowledge (Religion) check was actually meant to see how much Linon knows about ghosts and similarly invisible undead. Namely, would they even show up when detecting evil? I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that before.

hexonxonx
2007-12-06, 10:21 PM
In my position as commander-in-chief of rules interpretation, I would say you can identify the direction and vague area of an evil presence, even an invisible one. Combating it would be impossible without other hints (i.e. the invisible presence making noise or attacking somebody).

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-09, 11:07 AM
John

John looks down at his hands, which hold mud that is slowly dripping out of his fingers. "I'll be back in a second." He runs back (up/down?) with his shield.

A few second later, he comes back, mud piled on the inside of the shield. "Now we can all throw some mud." John says, smiling. He puts down the shield, picks up some mud, and throws at the invisible creature.

John's actually throwing it at the floor, so, if no check, then.... yeah.

Taffimai
2007-12-09, 12:27 PM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

A mischievous smile plays around the corners of Linon's mouth as she scoops up a few handfuls of mud out of the shield.

"I wish I could freeze time and teleport us all to some place where we could have an all-out snow fight" she says as she launches one in the general direction of the nearest evil presence.

hexonxonx
2007-12-09, 06:11 PM
The mud does not strike anything on it's way to the floor. Once on the floor...nothing happens. It just sits there.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-09, 06:49 PM
John

John's eyes narrow. He turns to Linon and says "Is there any way to enchant a section of floor to make it appear evil?"

Taffimai
2007-12-10, 03:27 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon stares thoughtfully at the evil presence hovering about the mud on the floor. Sighing, she turns towards John.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you. I know there exist spells that would make an evil creature appear non-evil, so my guess would be that there is. What do you think, gentlemen?"

She looks at Hynerst, Jarek and Hotaru, then while they think the matter over she picks up John's shield and starts wiping it off.

Bender
2007-12-10, 04:47 AM
Hynerst

"This can be explained in several ways. First of all, the creatures or objects radiating evil might not be corporeal, so the mud would pass right through. Secondly, the evilness might originate from active spells. Finally, it is probably possible to produce such an aura as a warning or a means to scare intruders, which we are."does Hynerst know any more about producing evil aura's?[roll0]
"I should study this more systematically"

Hunched, Hynerst descends the stairs again in search of a tender twig. When he finds one, he attaches a copper coin at the end. This magnetic detector should bend a bit with even a slight magnetic force, and more as the force increases. With his detector he silently starts to map the magnetic effect in the room, trying to figure out at which height it starts, and whether there are differences in different positions. Initially, he stays on the stairs and avoids bumping into anyone else.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-10, 07:26 AM
John


She looks at Hynerst, Jarek and Hotaru, then while they think the matter over she picks up John's shield and starts wiping it off.

John turns to Linon and takes his shield. "Thank you, but I can do this myself." He begins wiping down his shield.

Taffimai
2007-12-10, 09:47 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)


John turns to Linon and takes his shield. "Thank you, but I can do this myself." He begins wiping down his shield.

Taken aback by John's reaction, Linon looks at him quizzingly, then shrugs off her surprise and replies gently:"I'm sure you can. I also trust that you realise I have been able to stand up or carry mud ever since I was a little girl. When people are courteous and helpful towards me, I try to treat them the same way. I'm sorry if I made you feel patronised."

Staring absent-mindedly at John's shield, she reflects on how this is the second time today that she is told off for something that was kindly meant.

"Don't touch me, don't touch my stuff... it'd almost make me want to get checked for signs of lycanthropy. At least he didn't get so terribly upset."

She is interrupted by having to move aside so Hynerst can access the floor. Once she figures out what he's doing, and seeing John wipe his shield right next to it, she is struck with a sudden thought.

"Mister Whistkingstone, I have had an idea. Would it make a difference to tie wood underneath our shoes? Here, uhm..."

As she is about to hand him her wooden shield, she remembers how much Hynerst dislikes dirt and since her shield is still rather muddy, she puts it on the floor herself, taking utmost care not to touch either Hynerst or John.

Grrth
2007-12-10, 10:32 AM
Hotaru:

Sitting on the steps, feet dangling idly, Ru mulls over the puzzles. I wonder if I've ever heard of anything like this on my travels? He starts randomly singing snippits of songs and bits of poetry and the like, staring out at the room, but not really looking at anything.

Just a random Bardic Knowledge check: [roll0]
and a further Knowledge Arcana check, to see if I can help Hynerst at all: [roll1]

WOW! a nat 20! I might actually know something! :smallbiggrin:

Bender
2007-12-10, 11:01 AM
Hynerst

Hynerst is very concentrated on his tool and doesn't seem to hear Linon's question. He does contemplate it silently, however...[roll0]
When he finishes his initial experimentation he might try his tool above Linon's shield or above a layer of mud to see whether there is any difference.

Taffimai
2007-12-11, 11:23 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

After waiting a few moments for Hynerst to respond, Linon decides to make room on the crowded stairs and walks back to the previous room. Desirous not to disturb anyone else, she does her best to dampen the noise of her armour on the hard metal steps, finds a position right outside the door and stands there quietly listening to Hotaru's melody.

[roll0]

Otakutaylor
2007-12-11, 01:23 PM
Loretta

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posts, first job (Toys R' Us) and school = very little true gaming time. Heck, I should be doing a project right now, hehe. Please if I slack off on posting again, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Returning from her state of perpetual bordom from the consistancy of traps, Loretta let's her eyes scan the room, she looks over the pictures on the wall again. Takes a glance at the ceiling, incase of a 5th picture, and let's her mind wander.

Letting her thoughs fall from her mouth, Loretta mumbles. "Hmm... bugs... Maybe they're those stupid gold-coin shaped bugs... what ever they called... nah, that's a dragon thing... Hey Linon, can a single bug be like... Really Evil? I know sometimes there's just really tiny things that are evil, like imps and such." Loretta isn't really waiting for an answer from Linon, she expects it to be no, and continues talking to herself. Glancing at the treasure, she looks it over, "Apperently the floors magnetic, wouldn't the treasure be pressed flat against the ground if it wasn't set up in a structurally sound way?" Her dwarven roots slipping out.

Loretta sighs, "Give me a gnome anyday, atleast with their riddles when you give up you can give them a silver for the answer."

hexonxonx
2007-12-11, 06:18 PM
Hotaru: you remember, the tale unbidden and seemingly arising of it's own accord in your mind, the tale of the great wyrm black dragon Glaucon. He was very intelligent, and skilled in magical and metallic arts, and also very sadistic. He created a magnetic floor that would weigh down the would-be thieves of his treasure, so that when they stuffed their pockets with his treasure they would be weighed down, whereopon Glaucon would toy with their immobilized form until he tired of their suffering and finally killed them. Glaucon was finally killed by a party of monks, unarmed and unarmored, who had no metallic equipment to be weighed down and thus were immune to the magnetic trap.

Wood does not block the magnetic field, and the mud didn't either.

Grrth
2007-12-11, 10:12 PM
((hehe, how fitting!))

Hotaru:

Jumping up excitedly, Ru exclaims, "Monks! That's how they did it -- with monks!"

He'll launch into the tale of Glaucon the dragon and his treasure-loving ways (and I'll cross my fingers that he can do the song justice!)

perform: [roll0]

((yay! I can sing!))

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-11, 11:14 PM
John pulls out his harmonica, and begins to play it along with Ru's singing.

After Ru is done, John says "Does anyone in here have none-metal weapons? Preferably enchanted ones? Because, otherwise, that story only helps a little bit."

[roll0] Harmonica, yeah!

Bender
2007-12-12, 01:58 AM
Hynerst

Hynerst is still busy examining the magnetic field throughout the song. Everyone can see that he has a non-metallic quarterstaff, but it looks rather ordinary.

- Does he find any differences in the magnetic field above different locations on the floor?
- Does he find a height above which the effect is negligible?

Taffimai
2007-12-12, 09:14 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Painfully aware that the chirping of her armour as she attempted to sneak down the stairs was a more annoying and penetrating sound than its regular clanking, Linon looks furtively from Hynerst to Hotaru and back at Loretta's question. She is quite relieved when Loretta doesn't wait for an answer. Besides, all she could have said would be another 'I don't know'.

Her spirits are lifted somewhat by the pleasant song of Glaucon, the evil black dragon that got its proper punishment. Listening to Ru and John's music brings back warm memories of evenings spent in taverns and weddings filled with mirth. Funny how his voice almost sounds better now that the circumstances are unfavourable. The meaning of the song is not lost on her, however. It is starting to look like getting out of their armour will be the only way to get through the next room, and Loretta's suggestion of evil bugs has done nothing to make her more partial to the idea.

She shakes her head ruefully at John's question, wishing she had prepared an appropriate spell that day. "Have you come to any conclusions, Mister Whistkingstone?" she asks hopefully when she sees that Hynerst is finished with his experiments.

hexonxonx
2007-12-12, 11:14 PM
Hynerst: The field seems to operate at the same strength everywhere besides the stairwell, regardless of where you place your probe. Jarek: Yes, your Freedom of Movement would work in this area, but keep in mind it would only last 30 seconds.

Bender
2007-12-13, 01:50 AM
Hynerst

Somewhat ashamed: "Unfortunately, I cannot find a safe path, nor a safe height. And neither mud nor wood block the magnetism."
After a few seconds of thought
"I see three remaining options: Firstly, I try to dispel the effect, but there is a large chance of failure and it might last only mere seconds. Secondly, Hotaru could try to make the evil things visible. Thirdly, someone could scout ahead without metal armour -avoiding the evil patches, and we prepare for the possibility of battle. In that case I can first prepare some offensive spells. The walls warn of swarms, but Hotaru's story only mentions a fight with the host, neither clarifies the evil auras, so there is no real consistency about what we might face."
What knowledge check(s) can he make to know about swarms and how they aren't easy to kill with weapons, but vulnerable to area spells?

hexonxonx
2007-12-13, 09:38 AM
Knowledge: Nature

Bender
2007-12-13, 09:41 AM
knowledge roll coming up
[roll0]

Grrth
2007-12-13, 10:10 AM
Hotaru:

"Well, if it comes to darting across all that space, I'm pretty nimble. If someone would lend me a non-metallic weapon, I'd be happy to take my chances, unless our gambling man would prefer to go first?"

:smallwink:

((I've only got a +2 to my dex, but a high tumble stat, could be helpful))

webgem
2007-12-13, 02:05 PM
Jarek

Jarek shrugs off his chain shirt and it falls to the ground with a metallic clang. He drops his metallic shield as well. He rubs his fingers together almost gleefully. "In fact I would very much prefer to go first. I have a spell that prevents others from attacking me unless I attack first, should keep the evil presences away, if not then I can protect myself from evil as well. The main thing is...although I am excited to scout ahead, what purpose will it serve. Also, if I do go, I would need some very precise directions on where not to go, Ru, Hyrnest, and dear Linon, could I count on you folks to help me there, and finally, yes I could use some sort of nonmetallic item, shield as well just in case if possible, if not we'll just have to hope for the best. Hmm.....also maybe tie a rope too me if there is a litteral fall to be had. Sorry to get so wordy, but this should be fun!"

Taffimai
2007-12-13, 02:09 PM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon listens intently to Hynerst's explanation and thinks about his suggestions.

"I think Ru and you should save your magic for when you feel it is most useful. Sending a scout first is very clever. I will be very glad to help whomever volunteers to navigate around the presences. It would make a big difference to me if I knew that beyond this door was a place where we could safely put our armour back on. And if it triggered an attack, our scout could dart back to the stairs so we could fight on our own terms.

In fact, trying to trigger the trap from the stairs mightn't be a bad idea either. We haven't tried yet whether these things could be turned, and maybe we could throw some bigger metal things near the armour on the floor or on top of the treasure.

Jarek, you were right before when you said that you'd like to save your divine power for when we know for sure that we're up against undead. If you don't object, I will try it myself."



I can't check right now, but I have the nagging feeling that 'Glitterdust' wouldn't work on incorporeal creatures. Tumble is a great idea, avoiding AoO's from the evil things (if they'd get any).

Bender, if you'd prefer Hynerst to think of the extra suggestions I made, I'll edit this post accordingly. They shouldn't be Linon's, but after the song and dance she had to go through before I could reasonably have her think of 'let's use my shield to test whether wood blocks it' I'm a little funned out on the ignorant roleplaying.

webgem
2007-12-13, 02:12 PM
don't know what just happened

Bender
2007-12-15, 02:29 AM
OOC: I could have sworn I replied earlier, but something must have gone wrong...

Bender, if you'd prefer Hynerst to think of the extra suggestions I made, I'll edit this post accordingly. They shouldn't be Linon's, but after the song and dance she had to go through before I could reasonably have her think of 'let's use my shield to test whether wood blocks it' I'm a little funned out on the ignorant roleplaying.
Hynerst might be more intelligent than I am, but he's far from a strategic mastermind, since he has no combat experience (except maybe some from books). I think it's perfectly fine that Linon has some good idea's too.

about non-metal weapon: Hynerst won't offer his quarterstaff, but specifically asked to him and insisted upon, he will part with it.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-16, 12:06 AM
John

"Well, what are we going to do? We have a lot of choices, and I swear I can feel the time slipping away. The best one so far is to send some one in there. " John looks around at his comrades for a second. "If no one objects, I would like to do this."

Taffimai
2007-12-16, 04:57 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Linon blinks slowly as the battle of wills that is going on between her companions takes her straight back to her days at the temple of Kord. Team sports. No matter which one they picked, it always turned into a silent struggle within each team as every individual player wanted to be the one to make that winning goal, ignored Linon's suggested tactics and it all ended up with a wrestling match. Luckily these men were slightly more disciplined.

Resigning herself that there would be no more attempts at probing the room and knowing that trying to find a logical way to pick the best candidate would leave everybody frustrated, she tries to sound lighthearted as she turns to Jarek.

"How about we let fate decide who goes first? Jarek, if you would lend me one of your dice, I'll clean the footprints off of a part of the stairs and roll it. I would suggest 1 and 2 for Ru, 3 and 4 for you and 5 and 6 for John."

Grrth
2007-12-16, 02:02 PM
Hotaru:

"Sweet! I shall sing a song to fill all our hearts with courage! Glory shall come to he who ventures first into the unknown! Have no fear, should you fall, I shall immortalize your name in song forever!"

(( :smallwink: --> "... And they ate Robin's minstrels and all rejoyced."))

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-16, 08:35 PM
John

John nods at Linon. "That sounds fair. Let's roll."

John chuckles at Ru's antics. "And if you should fall, Hotaru, I shall compose a ballad on my harmonica such as the world as never seen before, all in the glory of mighty Hotaru, master bard!" John says as he strikes a herioc pose.

Bender
2007-12-18, 01:53 AM
Hynerst

Uncomfortable about this display of bravery going around, and having no interest in going first himself, Hynerst tries to blend into the background, staring at his knees. He does contemplate some more on what to do against swarms (ooc: was the check sufficient?).

webgem
2007-12-19, 12:49 PM
Argin

Argin hands one of his silver dice to Linon. "That seems like a very wise idea, here's hoping that chance favors the correct choice!"

Taffimai
2007-12-19, 03:20 PM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Smiling at the good cheer of all around her, Linon unhooks her gauntlet again so she can accept Jarek's die with a clean hand. She then walks over to the stairs, wipes off one step with her other hand and rolls the die. It comes up a [roll0].

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-19, 07:55 PM
John

John turns to Hotaru. "Well, friend, it looks like you get the honor of being the first to go in." John grins and says "I hope I won't have to use my harmonica in the following weeks."

Grrth
2007-12-20, 08:29 AM
((oh, rats))

Hotaru:

"Have no fear, John, I would just as soon rather you didn't compose a eulogy for me, either!" ((:smallbiggrin: ))

Hotaru wiggles out of his pack and adds his chain shirt and weapons to it. He slides his wand into a pocket.

"I'm ready. Does anyone have a club or big stick I can borrow?"

And he'll start to sing!

Let's try some Bardic Music to inspire courage. This gives a +1 bonus to saving throws against charm/fear effects, +1 bonus to atk/dmg rolls, and lasts for 5 rounds after he stops singing. (no check required)

Taffimai
2007-12-20, 08:51 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

"I have no club or anything, but feel free to use my shield. It's not perfect, but you can hit things with it if you really need. How about we get some ropes tied to you again? I thought Jarek had a very good point there."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-21, 12:48 AM
John

John pulls a length of rope out of his pack. "We should use my rope, it's extra strong."
John tugs on it a little, to show its strength.

Grrth
2007-12-21, 01:50 AM
Hotaru:

Giving the rope a rather pained look considering his last experience, Ru nods and lets them tie a rope around him (as he's singing, he can't very well make much conversation). He'll accept the shield.

With an added "Wish me luck!" to the song he's currently singing about courage and valor, Hotaru steps into the room ....

((I suppose a weapon isn't particularly necessary, considering the liklihood that he'll stay around and fight is slim, so we'll just press on, shall we?))

Bender
2007-12-21, 02:20 AM
Hynerst

Hynerst stiffens up and starts breathing fast again as he watches Hotaru's endeavour from as far away as possible.

Taffimai
2007-12-21, 04:45 AM
Linon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26208)

Concentrating once more on the evil presences in the room, Linon keeps Hotaru informed about how close they are and on which side of him.

"There is one ahead of you, but it is still several steps away. There is one closer to you and to the right that you're going to pass right about... now."

webgem
2007-12-21, 10:45 PM
Jarek

Jarek retrieves his holy symbol and prepares to smite the creatures should they be undead, and hopes to be of some assistance.


i do have interweb, but it is dial up and very skippy, hopefully I'll be able to check every day and update though, just a forewarning

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-23, 07:14 PM
John

John readies his sword and says "Hotaru, if they attack, try and lure them over here so we can fight them!"

Grrth
2007-12-30, 09:18 AM
Hotaru:

Moving carefully around the ... whatevers, still singing cheerfully, Hotaru tries to get to the other side as quickly as he can.

hexonxonx
2007-12-30, 04:14 PM
Hotaru: nothing happens. The metallic things in your possession (the fishhoots, the signal whistle, etc) are weighed down in your pockets, but this has no effect on your movement through the room. It is simply annoying.

Do you have any destination in mind?

Grrth
2008-01-02, 01:32 AM
If Hotaru doesn't bother anything and nothing bothers him, he'll make for the door on the far side of the room and pause there. If the door's open, he'll look through, otherwise just listen for anything he might hear on the other side.

Note: he'll try not to touch or in any other way disturb the door, having learned the hard way that doors in dungeons are often booby-trapped. :smalltongue:

Once he reaches the far side, he will, of course, stop singing, and call back to the others anything he finds out.

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]

hexonxonx
2008-01-02, 07:23 PM
Hotaru: The door is very close to the corpse at E2. Do you want to investigate it, or stay as far away from it as possible?

Also, because you are so close to the door (i.e. right next to it) Search is a better roll to make.

In any event, the door is closed. On the door is a motif of a muscular genie blocking the way with folded arms, in a pose as if blocking passage. Something small is written in very fine print that you could have not read otherwise. Unlike the other writing, this is in Draconic, so you can read it. It says "Stay here forever and rot, you thieves. No thieves shall be granted passage through this door."

Grrth
2008-01-02, 11:57 PM
(oh, I meant that, if the door were open, to look beyond into the corridor or whatever and see what he could see, but, no matter ...)

((Do you mean, do I want to investigate the corpse? Uh, sure, I guess I can take a look when I'm done with the door.))

Hotaru does shout back to the others the inscription on the door. "Sounds rather chipper, don't you think?" Stepping aside, towards the corpse. "Now, about this body ...."

((In case I need a search check for that, [roll0]))

Bender
2008-01-04, 01:59 AM
Hynerst

From the back, Hynerst mumbles "We haven't stolen anything, we can pass."
After rethinking it for two seconds, and in a self-satisfied voice:
"At least, I have never stolen anything"

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-04, 07:36 AM
John

John thinks for a minute about the passage on the wall. "I do not think that it means if we have ever thieved anything, it probably means whether or not we wish to steal whatever is behind that door."

webgem
2008-01-05, 08:12 PM
Jarek

After a moment Jarek pipes in, "Might that put us in a bit of a bind?"

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-05, 11:16 PM
John

John raises one eyebrow. "I do not think so. I believe our mission was to get rid of the lich. The mayor of Xii'thktor wishes to steal the treasure. We do not.".

webgem
2008-01-07, 11:24 AM
Jarek

Jarek shrugs, "I suppose it depends on how you look at it, our share could be an equivilant in loot I believe, so maybe if we promise to not take any as our share. I don't care either way as long as we don't spring a trap because the door doesn't share our distinction. We are kinda working with the mayor to help him steal aren't we." Jarek says this all in a quite voice, trying not to say this in case the door is somehow listening.

Bender
2008-01-13, 03:45 PM
Hynerst

"I could try to open the door from here, but it would take me 15 minutes to prepare the proper spell, and its not a very powerful spell."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-23, 10:56 PM
John

Jonathan shakes his head. "I am not sure if that would be a good idea. We have no way to reinforce Jarek, seeing as how our arms and armor are metal, and it does not matter anyway, seeing as we couldn't get across anyway."