PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Feat: Dynamic Tension

Ashtagon
2019-02-06, 12:53 PM
Benefit: You can use your Strength modifier instead of your Charisma modifier when making Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate skill checks. You also receive a +2 bonus on any grapple checks and checks to resist loosing your footing.

In addition, you become immune to any attack that involves getting sand, dust, or other small particles in your eyes.

Normal: You use your Charisma modifier for Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate skill checks.

Special: This feat only helps Diplomacy skill checks when used with a target that would normally find your race and gender attractive. It only applies to Bluff checks when used to feint in combat.

DeTess
2019-02-06, 05:31 PM
I'm having a hard time visualizing what this feat's doing. I can see the mechanics, but I just can't figure out how strength could ever be used on a bluff or gather information check.

The feat also seems to be doing too much. Assuming the dnd 3.5 feat paradigm, strength to a bunch of skills would be one feat, and the +2 bonus to grapple would be another one.

Lanth Sor
2019-02-06, 05:38 PM
I AM SNEAKING!!! You no see me right?
Guard looks away from Gork the 14' barbarian ogre.

Ashtagon
2019-02-06, 06:34 PM
The feat was inspired by this old advert...

https://blogintomystery.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/atlas.jpg

noob
2019-02-06, 06:49 PM
I'm having a hard time visualizing what this feat's doing. I can see the mechanics, but I just can't figure out how strength could ever be used on a bluff or gather information check.

The feat also seems to be doing too much. Assuming the dnd 3.5 feat paradigm, strength to a bunch of skills would be one feat, and the +2 bonus to grapple would be another one.
You distract people by making them look at your muscles instead of watching your mouth and so they can not spot you are lying.
Gather information is done by looking heroic and muscular so all the people goes and gives you information because they think you are a hero.

rferries
2019-02-07, 02:54 AM
I don't want no dissension! Just... dynamic... tension. :smallbiggrin:

DeTess
2019-02-07, 06:45 AM
You distract people by making them look at your muscles instead of watching your mouth and so they can not spot you are lying.
Gather information is done by looking heroic and muscular so all the people goes and gives you information because they think you are a hero.

Okay, I suppose I can see this. It isn't for every campaign, but it can be fun in the ones in which it fits. my point about the feat doing too much stills stands though.

Ashtagon
2019-02-07, 07:41 AM
Okay, I suppose I can see this. It isn't for every campaign, but it can be fun in the ones in which it fits. my point about the feat doing too much stills stands though.

Well, first off, this feat isn't offering Strength bonus in addition to Charisma bonus, but Str instead of Chr. Important difference.

Second, those +2/+2 skill bonus feats are the sort of feats that get sand kicked in their face.

That said, I should have restricted uses of Bluff to combat feints (editing in now).