PDA

View Full Version : Undead Cohort [feat]

Orzel
2007-09-25, 10:47 PM
And here's my friend, Grumbles. Grumbles doesn't talk much. He mostly eats people.

Undead Cohort [Feat]

You have a special bond with a wild undead being, and it is willing to travel and adventure with you.

Benefit: You gain an undead cohort. The undead cohort is generally friendly to you and is willing to follow you and adventure with you. It will generally do whatever you ask to the best of it's ability.

Provided the DM gives her approval, at 1st level you can choose from an undead human, dwarf, elf, orc, wolf, or horse. This creature is a undead version of a typical creature of its race and gains all typical undead traits. Also all of it's HD are changed to standard undead HD (d12).

Like a druid's animal companion or a wizard's familiar, your undead cohort improves as you gain experience.

{table=head] Character Level| Bonus HD |Natural Armor Adj | Strength Bonus | Special
1st-2nd |+0 | +0 | +0 | Toughness
3rd-5th |+2 | +1 | +2 |
6th-8th |+5 | +3 | +4 | Evasion
9th-11th |+8 | +5 | +6 |
12th-14th |+11 | +7 | +8 | DR 5/slashing
15th-17th |+14 | +9 | +10 |
18th-20th |+17 | +11 | +12 | Improved evasion [/table]

You can only ever have one undead cohort at any given time

Should you release your undead cohoort or your cohort becomes destroyed, you make take another cohort by finding a zombie and feeding it a potion that is worth 100g.

Grumbles, eat.

Altharis
2007-09-26, 07:02 AM
Nice...very nice. I'm yoinking that for my friend's spiked-chain wielding necromancer.

I'm struggling to find a problem with it, and I'll speak out if I find one.

Cheers,
Altharis

nobodylovesyou4
2007-09-26, 01:47 PM
nice, but you should add in more powerful undead at higher levels (kinda like how druids can get bears and t-rexes and stuff). but very awesome, i would so take this if i was a necro.

Vadin
2007-09-26, 05:06 PM
Keeping it at just that small list (maybe a bit more expanded, but basically just that list) keeps it from getting abusable with familiars like wraiths and banshees.

Player: "Wait, guys! Let me just send my ghost through the wall...oh, no! There's a talking dire wolf in there!"
DM: "Awww...that was supposed to be a surprise...darn kids and your mangy ghost!"

Orzel
2007-09-26, 05:18 PM
A character of sufficiently high level can select her undead cohort from one of the following lists, applying the indicated adjustment to the character's level (in parentheses) for purposes of determining the cohort’s characteristics and special abilities.

4th Level or Higher (Level -2)
* Bear, black (animal)
* Crocodile (animal)
* Giant Ant, worker
* Leopard (animal)
* Lizard, monitor (animal)
* Satyr (without pipes)
* Shark, Large (animal)
* Snake, constrictor (animal)

7th Level or Higher (Level -4)

* Bear, brown (animal)
* Centaur
* Crocodile, giant (animal)
* Deinonychus (dinosaur)
* Dire wolf
* Elasmosaurus (dinosaur)
* Lion (animal)
* Orge
* Rhinoceros (animal)
* Tiger (animal)

10th Level or Higher (Level -7)

* Assassin Vine
* Bear, polar (animal)
* Dire lion
* Manticore
* Megaraptor (dinosaur)
* Minotaur
* Shark, Huge (animal)
* Snake, giant constrictor (animal)
* Troll

13th Level or Higher (Level -10)

* Dire bear
* Elephant (animal)
* Hill Giant
* Octopus, giant1 (animal)

16th Level or Higher (Level -13)

* Dire tiger
* Squid, giant (animal)
* Stone Giant
* Triceratops (dinosaur)
* Tyrannosaurus (dinosaur)

Rawr! Zombie T-rex Friends!

Give me time the figure out and balance ghost orges and wriath raptors.