PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew class (MOD Please move to Homebrew section)

carrdrivesyou
2019-02-08, 10:23 AM
I do NOT claim this as my own work, I simply found it online. I was curious what you playgrounders thought about it. Can you see any mechanical issues with it? Do you think it's over or under powered?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14VEEen-Bl9LHZVWCo-9dkt4Sl5EGj3OcR_S_vNhWLGY/edit?usp=drivesdk

Lemme know!

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 11:29 AM
Yes, there are definitely major issues here. First of all look at a single level dip into this class. You get

-A bonus action ability to grant you and all allies within 60 dueling fighting style, a similar ability to the champion level 18/Redemption level 15 ability, resistance to a single damage type and more.
-2 skills half proficiency bonus
-natural armor of 13+dex+shield

and it just gets worse from there. You get two attacks, at level 6 you get paladin's laying on of hands, you can apply poison damage and the condition at will (with a scaling DC).

Sorry, there is absolutely no way I would even consider allowing this at my table.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-02-08, 11:41 AM
I'd drop the Aura to last 1 min, usable Cha Mod times/day. The Breath Weapon is once every ~3 turns, which... might be a little high; it works out to 1-2 per fight. I'd push it back to recharge only on a 6, and like the Chromatic Attunement options to the same cooldown. That oughta be workable. And unlike the 3.5 Dragon Shaman, actually fun to play.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-08, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is a section of the forum just for Homebrew content (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design). If you want to move your post, you can flag your first post on this thread and request to have it be moved to the Homebrew Design section.

carrdrivesyou
2019-02-08, 12:32 PM
Yes, there are definitely major issues here. First of all look at a single level dip into this class. You get

-A bonus action ability to grant you and all allies within 60 dueling fighting style, a similar ability to the champion level 18/Redemption level 15 ability, resistance to a single damage type and more.
-2 skills half proficiency bonus
-natural armor of 13+dex+shield

and it just gets worse from there. You get two attacks, at level 6 you get paladin's laying on of hands, you can apply poison damage and the condition at will (with a scaling DC).

Sorry, there is absolutely no way I would even consider allowing this at my table.

Interesting points, but out of sheer discussion's sake, how do we go about comparing this to the paladin and its spell selection? Surely that would equal the playing field in regards to the lay on hands and two attacks? Trading spells up to 4th level for a commonly resisted damage type and a few rather weak auras seems fair to me? I'm curious as to your reasoning. :D

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is a section of the forum just for Homebrew content (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design). If you want to move your post, you can flag your first post on this thread and request to have it be moved to the Homebrew Design section.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll do just that! I don't often mess with homebrew, but this seems so similar to the 3.5 class that I loved so much, I forgot this site HAD a homebrew section lol.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-08, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I'll do just that! I don't often mess with homebrew, but this seems so similar to the 3.5 class that I loved so much, I forgot this site HAD a homebrew section lol.

NP! To flag it, there's a little triangle on the bottom left of your post that you use to report posts, but one of the functions Mods can do with a flag is to move a thread at the OP's request.