PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Combat/RP tips for a Warforged Skirmisher Rogue Inquisitive

offbeatbloom
2019-02-10, 03:30 PM
Background: I was asked to join a campaign with a table I play with already in a different campaign. They said what they were lacking was someone who could sneak, scout, deal with traps, etc. They didn't say it, but they wanted a rogue, haha. I was hesitant since I had read through the PHB archetypes and was never interested in those specifically. In looking at more of the XGtE though, I came across the Inquisitive and liked the information gathering skills. So then I went about picking a race, I was looking through some of the newer books, and thought it would be fun to do Warforged as something different. I threw in Investigator as a background. And I added Athlete as a feat. (DM uses a custom point buy where you get a bunch of points and buy where anyone can get a level 1 feat). I'm starting at level 5 so ASI to Dex.

So where this lands me is with the race/class combo in the title. It has an AC of 19 from darkwood core, Stats S 8, D 20, Co 14 I 14, W 14, Ch 6, and a Proficiencies of Acrobatics, Insight, Investigation, Perception (expertise), Sleight of hand, Stealth (expertise).

So the thing is, I don't really know what to do in combat. I have Daggers, a rapier, a short bow, a hand crossbow. The few combat encounters we've had I've hung back (this mostly because of my habits playing a ranged druid in the other campaign) and I feel like with a 19 AC I should be more open to the front lines. and with Insightful Fighting I can make my own sneak attack opportunities.

So question 1: how would you handle a character like that in combat? I've looked at feats for later levels (mobile, sentinel, etc), but both adding things later and right now what would you do?

The second part of this post is about RP. The character is designed to sound and act like a mix of Janet from the Good Place, 031 Exuberant Witness, Failsafe from Destiny 2 (the happy side), and Shiela/F.I.L.S.S. from Red vs Blue. but the DM through a twist in the mix.

He gave me a special mask of disguise that changes my appearance and voice with a DC based on my Int (so 13). This because in this world I am the first Warforged ever made, so when doing roguish scouting things in populated areas, being seen in my normal form would draw unwanted attention. This has inadvertently led to the RP'ing of personas. Basically I use a different name, appearance and voice. It has been fun so far, but the only rule I've put on myself is that the persona should not seem inherently charismatic. There should be something about the voice/accent, demeanor or appearance that throws people off.

so far I have a few, including a big lebowski-esque hippy and a gruff character like Cid from Final fantasy.

So question 2: what personas would you come up with? Are there any fictional characters you think would be fun to adapt this way? (yes, I'm fishing for ideas)

monkey3
2019-02-13, 10:34 AM
I was hoping for replies to this thread myself, as Warforged is my favorite race. I have had very few chances to play them, and few campaigns allow them. My go-to RP for Warforged are based on my 21st Century concepts and Sci-Fi movies I've seen. So I gravitate towards a robot who was given a job to do X (dig tunnels, stand guard, mix potions) and now that Y happened (Master died, control broken, etc), has become self-aware, and now wonders the land looking for Z (knowledge, adventure, god, true calling, etc.).
My gut however tells me the above are based on robots and AI, and probably different from an Eberon Warforged.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-13, 12:09 PM
I can't provide too much information regarding the narrative. Unfortunately, you'd have the most experience knowing what your character needs in that regard.

As for the mechanical aspect of things, I would recommend relying on your long-range aspects. Have options that increase your ability to see enemies (maybe Observant), and find a way to get a longer ranged weapon (like a level from Fighter). The Inquisitive Rogue has the distinct benefit of being able to sneak attack at any range, and this is completely useless if the enemy is already in melee range, engaged with your team. Force situations where your inquisitive benefits can kick in, maybe utilizing Sharpshooter for the increased range, and take potshots at your foes.

offbeatbloom
2019-02-20, 08:53 PM
I was hoping for replies to this thread myself, as Warforged is my favorite race. I have had very few chances to play them, and few campaigns allow them. My go-to RP for Warforged are based on my 21st Century concepts and Sci-Fi movies I've seen. So I gravitate towards a robot who was given a job to do X (dig tunnels, stand guard, mix potions) and now that Y happened (Master died, control broken, etc), has become self-aware, and now wonders the land looking for Z (knowledge, adventure, god, true calling, etc.).
My gut however tells me the above are based on robots and AI, and probably different from an Eberon Warforged.

Yeah, this character (Seeker), is heavily inspired by sci-fi AI characters in tone and presentation, but a lot of the backstory ties to both a lack of acceptance (common trope I know) but also a deeply honed sense of curiousity about huge and mysterious aspects of the world (lost truths, hidden facts, etc). They have always lived as a free being, seen as a wonder among the gnomes (Their creator was a gnome). Their curiosity always drew them out further and further though.

Generally the question for RP was more about the personas, like if you were picking a big personality that might be grating (low-charisma) to NPCs what would that be like?

offbeatbloom
2019-02-20, 10:02 PM
I can't provide too much information regarding the narrative. Unfortunately, you'd have the most experience knowing what your character needs in that regard.

As for the mechanical aspect of things, I would recommend relying on your long-range aspects. Have options that increase your ability to see enemies (maybe Observant), and find a way to get a longer ranged weapon (like a level from Fighter). The Inquisitive Rogue has the distinct benefit of being able to sneak attack at any range, and this is completely useless if the enemy is already in melee range, engaged with your team. Force situations where your inquisitive benefits can kick in, maybe utilizing Sharpshooter for the increased range, and take potshots at your foes.

The real advantage after a few good fights with it is that with a successful Insightful Fighting check, you don't have to worry about hiding or teammate positioning as the source of sneak, but I have seen that help with close and long range. I lean toward using mobile, the character is already at 35 ft of movement, so with insightful fighting and a rapier (or two light weapons) it can basically zoom and boom around the map without much fear of OAs. I should also mention in terms of options listed below that this is an RP heavy campaign, in fact there are combat scenarios that he plans for that really are meant to kill or nearly kill us if we can't RP our ways out)

Observant is definitely high on a short list as well for a variety of reasons but passive is already at 18 and there is a cleric in the party already tromping down the 'super perception' path. (though even without observant, at level nine the advantage from Steady Eye would put me at 25 passive in a lot of circumstances).

I've considered things like Mobile and observant as mentioned, plus:

Alert (character is meant to miss almost nothing, plus a total of +10 on initiative is nice),
the classic crossbow expert for two attacks on a turn (with sharpshooter if I go full ranged),
skulker (to help with steal thing and spying in lower light situation since warforged have no darkvision),
dungeon delver (for traps),
martial adept (for more tactics in combat),
Keen mind (to help them be a better navigator)
Even tough (because squishy)

Ultimately, I am in a wait and see mode on feats, since I am level 5 and have a while to see what would help most, but was just curious what others might consider based on experience with the class/subclass.