PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder New Spell idea. What level should it be?

Asteron
2019-02-11, 03:58 PM
A friend of mine and I are having a disagreement in regards to this spell. We decided to let others decide since we each have our own opinions and can't agree.

Total Avulsive Fracturing
Necromancyl
Target: One Creature
Spell Resistance: Yes
Save: Fortitude partial

Dark energies cause all of the targets tendons to pull on the bones the connect to, fracturing the bones and causing excruciating pain. The target takes 1d8 points of damage per caster level and is paralyzed (this bypasses immunity to magical paralysis since the magic itself isn't causing it, rather the excruciating pain cause by the physical trauma) until the damage is repaired by a Heal spell. A successful fortitude save halves the damage and negates the immobility.

Skeletons, incorporeal undead, elementals, oozes, or other creatures without a skeletal-muscular structure are immune to this spell.

What spell level should this spell be for Pathfinder: 6th, 7th, or 8th?

Please post your vote 1st so that it is clearly marked and then any reasoning you might have for it.

JoshuaZ
2019-02-11, 08:31 PM
How does the damage interact with other methods of healing? Do you mean that the damage can only be healed by a Heal spell or similar high level effect?

rferries
2019-02-12, 06:37 AM
What's the range?

Xzoltar
2019-02-12, 06:32 PM
I would say its a level 9 spell (but see post below, now change choice to level 8)

Consider that Horrid Wilting is a strong spell doing the same damage (vs Water elemental and plants) but without the Paralysis and its level 8.

Now this spell make you Paralyzed until you received a Heal Spell, so if you don't have a High level Cleric available and fail your Fortitude save, that's pretty much a Dead effect.

Pathfinder try to stay away from Save or Die effect, on a successful save you will received an average of 45 damage

Level 6 - Disintegrate average 140 Dmg and on a save 17.5 Dmg
Level 8 - Horrid Wilting average 70 dmg and on a save 35 Dmg
Level x - This spell average 90 dmg + Paralyzed (Dead) and on a save 45 Dmg

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/horridWilting.htm
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/disintegrate/

Felyndiira
2019-02-12, 06:47 PM
None of theses options, I would say its a level 9 spell

Consider that Horrid Wilting is a strong spell doing the same damage (vs Water elemental and plants) but without the Paralysis and its level 8.

Horrid Wilting is a large AoE, and not really strong either. This spell is single target.

Rather than that spell, compare this spell with Destruction, which is similarly ST and Fort save as a level 7 spell:

This spell averages 90 dmg + Paralyzed, and on a save 45 Dmg
Destruction is always 200 dmg, and on a save 35 Dmg

The paralyze effect makes it quite strong, so it would probably fit as a level 8 spell. Requiring Heal (and only Heal) to undo the paralysis is a bit too strong, though, so I'd expand the list to include other healing spells as long as the full damage of this spell is healed back.

Maybe give it the [Death] tag as well.

Xzoltar
2019-02-12, 06:56 PM
Never realized Horrid was a AoE spell, nothing about that in the spell description beside saying Targets living creatures

When compared to Destruction with lower damage, I still think the Paralyzed effect is stronger, however maybe not enough to be worth it as a lvl 9 spell.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/horrid-wilting/
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/destruction/

I change my vote to Level 8

aimlessPolymath
2019-02-12, 08:49 PM
Horrid Wilting:
"living creatures, no two of which can be more than 60 ft. apart"
It's sort of like a 60 foot AOE but you select your targets.

Finger of Death is a comparison point: twice the damage on a failed save, but a successful save negates almost all the damage; however the attached immobility is as good as a successful kill against vulnerable targets, making up for the damage difference. Disintegrate gets a 1 level pass for requiring both an attack roll and a saving throw, so I'd put this at about level 7 Sor/Wiz, 8 otherwise.
Also compare Flesh to Stone, but with effects even if saved against.

legomaster00156
2019-02-16, 11:38 AM
I would rule this as Transmutation, actually. It should also have the [pain] descriptor, making those immune to pain effects immune to the spell. The paralyzation also should have a duration other than until a particular spell is cast (I would rule 1 round/level). I would give it a cap of 25d8 damage and make it level 6.