PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Hex Options

MThurston
2019-02-17, 08:07 AM
1. You can make the target take disadvantage on a stat.

2. You can make it move after the target is knocked to 0 HPs.

3. You can do 1 and 2.

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-17, 08:10 AM
I really don’t understand what you’re even asking for here. Can you provide some sort of context for what you’re looking for?

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-02-17, 08:19 AM
Correct. You can do both. You pick a stat when you put the hex on. The target then rolls at disadvantage on all ability checks pertaining to that stat (not saving throws, though). When that enemy dies, you can move the hex to a new enemy as a bonus action, as long as you keep your concentration.

MThurston
2019-02-17, 08:33 AM
Correct. You can do both. You pick a stat when you put the hex on. The target then rolls at disadvantage on all ability checks pertaining to that stat (not saving throws, though). When that enemy dies, you can move the hex to a new enemy as a bonus action, as long as you keep your concentration.

Thanks,
I have been reading that you can either give disadvantage or be able to move it after the target drops to 0 HPs.

Either my old brain isn't working great or the rules writers are not doing a good job.

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-17, 09:20 AM
Just something to keep in mind is that Hex gives disadvantage on checks, not saves. A lot of people get that confused.

MThurston
2019-02-17, 10:36 AM
Just something to keep in mind is that Hex gives disadvantage on checks, not saves. A lot of people get that confused.

Ah, I think we did it wrong last night then.

ChildofLuthic
2019-02-17, 11:13 AM

It works well with wrathful smite in theory, however, since after the first save, they do a check to become unfrightened

Chronos
2019-02-17, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure what's unclear about the way it's written. The part about switching it to a new target is a separate paragraph than the part about disadvantage on checks, even.

AttilatheYeon
2019-02-17, 02:44 PM
It works well with wrathful smite in theory, however, since after the first save, they do a check to become unfrightened

Target is feared, fear gives disadvantage on attacks and checks when the object of fear is in sight. Hope this helps.

Yunru
2019-02-17, 03:15 PM

Actually it's quite redundant. Frightened already imposes disadvantage on checks.

Jerrykhor
2019-02-18, 05:17 AM
Every once in a while, someone comes along and misunderstands some rule or spell in ways I never thought possible. But its ok, it happens to the best of us.

MrStabby
2019-02-18, 06:42 AM
Every once in a while, someone comes along and misunderstands some rule or spell in ways I never thought possible. But its ok, it happens to the best of us.

And from time to time I get on my keyboard to explain exactly why they are wrong; pull up the rules to quote them then think... "hey, actually they have a point here".

Malifice
2019-02-18, 01:13 PM

'Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target when you hit it with an attack.

Also, choose one ability when you cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a turn of yours to curse a new creature. A Remove Curse cast on the target ends this spell early.'

What part of this are you finding confusing?

You deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage. Also one ability score gets disadvantage to ability checks (not saves).

Finally, when you drop the target to 0 HP, you can use a bonus action to move the Hex.

It couldnt be any clearer mate.

MThurston
2019-02-18, 02:05 PM
Also, choose one ability when you cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a turn of yours to curse a new creature. A Remove Curse cast on the target ends this spell early.'

What part of this are you finding confusing?

Also choose one ability.

I read it as such.

1. Your target has disadvantage

2. When target hits 0 hit points

So I have been choosing when target hits 0 HPs, I can move it. I had at the time not known you could choose both and that the choose one was an ability score.

Again, I said my old brain could have read it wrong and it looks like that is true.

If it had said ability score, I would not have missed it.

stoutstien
2019-02-18, 06:50 PM
Actually have an early printing of the player handbook it had it in the same paragraph so it was confusing
Edit German player handbook

Malifice
2019-02-18, 08:25 PM
That explains the error a bit more then.

Chronos
2019-02-18, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I suppose I can see the confusion behind "Choose an ability". I have enough experience with the game that I took it for granted that that meant "Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, or Cha", but outside of that context, it could confuse.