PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Nature Sorcerer homebrew and help with miniboss balance

Iampower
2019-02-18, 04:29 AM
Ok so i introduced a nature based artifact to my PCs and things...didnt quite go as i expected. I wont bother with details but basically, the PCs are now in a colision course with a scattered group of npcs that are intrinsically tied to nature in the same way that "heat" is a part of fire. Anyway most of them i just pulled from existing classes like the OatA paladin or the Nature cleric, but since i introduced a fey based sorc class to one of my PCs i figured it was perfect for me to make one of the npc as a sorcerer too. Anyway below is my idea for the subclass. I based it off of my initial thoughts on how to bring back the animal companion to the druid. I hoped to make the familiar mechanic of this one unique to the beastmaster and chain pact mechanics.

Also this is intended to be more powerful than the pcs but i still want it to be somewhat balanced. Currently pcs are lvl4, there are 3 of them, a halfling monk(open palm), tiefling rogue(the cleric based caster i posted previously), and a human sorcerer(the fey sorc from the same thread).

Was thinking of making this one level 6 when they fight her but what are your thoughts? Human variant with warcaster and +2 to cha(20)

Whispers of Nature
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in one skill your choice from Animal Handling, Nature, or Survival and can cast speak with animals at will. When you reach level 6, you learn speak with plants as a sorcerer spell and can cast it once per short or long rest without expending a spell slot. This does not count against your number of known sorcerer spells.

Beast Familiar
You have a loyal beast at your side. It is considered to be your familiar as if summoned by the find familiar spell but with the following differences:
1. Its creature type is beast rather than celestial, fey, or fiend.
2. It's size is Small or smaller with a challenge rating no higher than 1/8.
3. It takes its turn in your initiative.
It otherwise acts as described in the spell. You can cast find familiar as a ritual using this feature. While the beast familiar is bound to you, you must use 10gp worth of rare herbs and spices as material component when casting the spell or the spell fails. If you later decide to dismiss your beast familiar, you can cast the spell using the normal material components and obtain a regular familiar as described in the spell's description or use rare herbs and spices to draw a new beast to your side.

Empowered Familiar
At 6th level, you can use an action to spend 3 sorcery points and magically empower your beast familiar, causing the following changes:
1. It is enlarged as if under the effects of the enlarge spell.
2. Its hit point maximum increases to four times your sorcerer level and gains that many hit points.
3. It gains proficiency to Constitution saving throws and one other Ability saving throw of your choice.
4. It gains a bonus to it's AC, attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws it is proficient in equal to your proficiency bonus as long as you are on the same plane, conscious, and not incapacitated.
5. If your familiar has not yet taken an action during it's turn, you can use your bonus action to send a telepathic command for it to use its action and make a single attack. If it does not have an attack, it gains an attack appropriate for its original size and kind (consult with your DM).
This transformation lasts for one round per sorcerer level, until you dismiss it as an action, or when you use an action to dismiss your familiar to its pocket dimension. If you are knocked unconscious, your familiar must make a Constitution saving throw against your sorcerer level or 10, whichever is higher, at the start of each of its turn to maintain the empowerment. It also makes a Constitution saving throw to maintain its empowerment whenever it takes damage, as if it were concentrating on a spell.
At the beginning of your turn you can spend 2 sorcery points to further enhance your familiar, granting it with one of the following abilities until the start of your next turn.
1. Beastial Fury - When you command your familiar to attack, it makes two attacks or uses its multiattack if it has one.
2. Coordinated Attack - When you use your action to attack or cast a spell on a creature within range of your familiar's attack, the familiar can immediately make a single attack as part of your action.
3. Swiftness - The familiar's speed increases by half, gains a +2 bonus to its AC, and has advantage on all Dexterity saving throws.
You can empower your familiar once per short or long rest. It gains a point of exhaustion for each time you empower it after the first time before it completes a long rest.

Gift of Nature
At level 14, you can spend your short rest by meditating within 10 feet of a healthy tree that is at least gargantuan in size or older than you by 20 years to regain 1d4-1 of expended sorcery points. You can do this once between long rests and gain an additional use at 17th level.
When you roll your hit die to recover hit points while using this feature, you gain an additional number of hit points equal to the amount of sorcery points you recovered with this feature multiplied by the number of sorcerer hit die you rolled. If these additional hit points would give you more than your hit point maximum, you gain the remaining as temporary hit points.
Additionally, your familiar recovers one point of exhaustion if you regain 3 sorcery points from a single roll for this feature.

Twinned Mind
At level 18, your beast familiar gains the ability to concentrate on a spell. As a bonus action, you can transfer concentration of a spell from yourself to your familiar allowing you to maintain concentration on a second spell. You can switch the two spells between you and your familiar as a free action during your turn ones per round. If you cast a spell that requires concentration while you are already concentrating on a different spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point per spell level to instantly transfer concentration of either of the spells to your familiar. Your familiar follows all rules for maintaining concentration, unless otherwise stated.
When not empowered, your familiar instantly loses concentration on the spell if it takes any damage. If it is empowered, you familiar must make a Constitution saving throw in order to maintain concentration as described in the rules for concentration spells. If you are forced to make a Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration while your familiar is also concentrating on a different spell, you must make a save for both spells. If only your familiar is concentrating on a spell and you are damaged or otherwise put in a position that would normally cause you to make a Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain the spell your familiar is concentrating on. You have advantage on the saving throw for any spell that your familiar is concentrating on and can use either your saving throw bonus or your familiar's.