PDA

View Full Version : Guitar help! Guiarists please comment! :)

Krugg
2007-09-27, 07:03 AM
Hey I've recently acquired a Fender Stratocaster (no, it's not a cliche black one with a white pickguard. It's got a light creamie-white finish and a maple fingerboard), but the whammie keeps ruining the tuning lol. And then I was like ".. how can that be stopped..?" and then I thought "DOUBLE LOCKING NUT!". But I'm unsure of whether I can/should. Aaand if possible, can anyone give me a rough estimate of price to get it done by a professional?

Cheers

KRugG

ocato
2007-09-27, 07:12 AM
The whammie bar is the natural enemy of good tuning. This is because (my theory) it moves the strings' place of attachment to the instrument and Rockouts rarely require perfect tuning. If someone knows how to stop this, I'd be interested too, I just stopped using it.

Krugg
2007-09-27, 07:17 AM
The whammie bar is the natural enemy of good tuning. This is because (my theory) it moves the strings' place of attachment to the instrument and Rockouts rarely require perfect tuning. If someone knows how to stop this, I'd be interested too, I just stopped using it.

Lol
What it does is when you dive it, the strings lose tension and slip through the tunie thingymawoops on the head. The double-locker pretty much locks the nut in place and stops the strings from moving at all past the nut to stop it from going out of tune unless you stretch the string lol. Plus the music I play in my band has a mixture of precise classical-style, fingerpicky stuff and it's better if it's in tune lol. Besides, a whammie bar is there to be used.. They're such fun lol

smellie_hippie
2007-09-27, 07:26 AM
I just don't use the 'whammy bar' on my stratocaster. But if you insist, there are a couple of options...

1. Get a roller-nut and locking tuning pegs. You'll have to take it in to have this modifications, and it will prolly run you around $150-200. The roller-nut replaces the bone/plastic nut between the headstock and the first fret. It allows the strings to move a little and not get any additional tension when the 'whammy' returns to a rest position.

2. Replace the whole frelling thing with a floyd rose or other locking bridge system. I wouldn't recommend this.

I'm sure others will have different options, but there's my 2 cents worth.

Welcome to club Fender... did you get your jacket at the door? :smallamused:

ocato
2007-09-27, 07:29 AM
You guys got jackets? *kicks his ovation* all I got was a hard case filled with guns. *Decides not to kick the case again*

Supagoof
2007-09-27, 11:15 AM
Heh. We don't nothing about no guns. Capice? What kind of repsectable buisnesss do you think we're running here? :smallamused:

Dispozition
2007-09-27, 11:50 AM
Do what my guitar teacher's done. Take off the bar, then take the back panel off and put a block of wood in the gap to stop the stuff (I forget all the proper names) from moving.

eidreff
2007-09-27, 12:48 PM
I'd go with any of the answers above depending on your own preference.

I'm not a whammy fan myself, so i'll suggest this.

Not sure what the brand is called but there is a company out there that produce a whammy replacement system, its a solid lump of brassy looking alloy, shaped to fit in the cavity, with a back place included and its designed to allow you to string through the guitar body.

Lots of lovely thru body sustain. Yum.

again it depends whether you want to use it or not though.

FdL
2007-09-27, 01:36 PM
Not a fan of whammy myself. I don't use it in my Jazzmaster because I bought it without one. But I wouldn't use it anyway, even though I like it, it's too fussy to have to retune it. I also have a guitar with a similar setup as a Strat and I never even put the tremolo arm in it. Hardtails FTW.

But, if you want to use the tremolo arm, I too suggest you look for some modification to the system. The default factory whammy systems in strats are usually not that great, unless it's a special model with a Floyd Rose or someting. Which is pretty much the way to go AFAIK.

Speaking of tremolos, anyone played one with a Bigsby? Those look great, usually found on hollowbodies or vintagey guitars.

The Prince of Cats
2007-09-27, 05:01 PM
Personally, I don't really use my strat's whammy-bar. I kind of snapped it off ten years ago by accident and was too cheap to replace the whole frelling system. (it snapped off just far enough in to make it impossible to extract and not far enough to leave any thread on the external half)

I have a Warlock with a Floyd-Rose, which is very good (whammy bar goes up AND down!) and barely ever use it. The trouble with a Floyd-Rose is that even the slightest motion will be audible; the subtle movement caused by hooking it with my little finger knocks it off-key for a second. As a result, I tend to leave the bar pointing away from the neck and push down with the heel of my palm to go up...

Amotis
2007-09-28, 11:20 AM
Speaking of tremolos, anyone played one with a Bigsby? Those look great, usually found on hollowbodies or vintagey guitars.

When I was shopping around for my jazzmaster I played one with a Bigsby installed on it. The owner was standing right there so I didn't want to go all Hendrix on it so nothing came close to popping out or going majorly out of tune but it has a wonderful response. I have heard that the upper pulls can pop it out of place and stuff like that. But I didn't have a problem with that. It has a very vintage-y classic sound...which can ooze with cheese if not used in moderation. But as a whole, it sounds nice, nice responce, and looks like a beauty.

I guess I'm the only person here who likes using the tremolo bar. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2007-09-30, 04:07 PM
I guess I'm the only person here who likes using the tremolo bar. :smalltongue:

It depends on the song I'm playing. I rarely have my trem-bar screwed in. However, my strat has just enough pull to be able to try and re-settle the strings back to where they were to begin with.

If I do deep dives, it's out, and I need to re-tune, but otherwise I can pull 'em back in. Nothing as extreme as a Floyd Rose with huge string bends... but maybe about a full step or maybe a step and a half...

Krugg
2007-10-01, 12:53 AM
Okay, groovy
So just keep my dives in check and don't over-do it
And if I feel compelled to, I can get a Roller Nut installed

Thanks guys

KRugG