PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Any Con based casters?

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-20, 01:20 AM
Has anyone made or know of a Constitution based caster? Someone who channels their own blood/health/vigor to cast spells, and takes damage with every casting? If it somehow doesn't exist, any suggestions/things I need to be aware of/dangers need to avoid when creating one?

inuyasha
2019-02-20, 01:31 AM
Well, I'm not entirely sure about homebrewed ones, but I do know of 2 options from 3rd party products, one Pathfinder, one 3.X

One of the casting boons in the Magical Traditions for Spheres of Power (a very interesting rework of the system) allows you to cast with your Con modifier

Another, a book for 3.X called Bastards and Bloodlines has a feat allowing you to pick any stat to cast with, including Con!

Saintheart
2019-02-20, 02:43 AM
Not totally related, but Sanctified and Corrupt spells generally force some form of stat damage on their caster.

Lhurgyof
2019-02-20, 04:46 AM
The 3.0 Psionics handbook had Psychokineticists use constitution for their powers.

JMS
2019-02-20, 10:30 AM
An un-errated Scarred Witch Doctor (PF, racial witch archetype available to orcs and half orcs.) uses Con to cast.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-02-20, 10:31 AM
HP-based casting is sort of like skill-check based magic-- you'd think it would work, but at least in this system it really doesn't. Con as a casting stat means your mage will wind up being the beefiest person in the party, and HP as a resource is waaaaayyyy too easy to refill. Wands of Lesser Vigor or CLW are dirt cheap, and heck-- one level of Dragon Shaman and you'll regenerate up to half health all day every day. The closest functional form I can think of is something like the Kineticist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist/)from Pathfinder-- instead of taking flat damage, they acquire "Burn" that reduces their total HP by 1/level and thus can't be healed away. And that's using "functional" broadly, 'cause the Kineticist is possibly the worst written class I've ever seen outside of dandwiki.

The 3.0 Psionics handbook had Psychokineticists use constitution for their powers.
Shh. We don't talk about 3e psionics.

Lanth Sor
2019-02-20, 03:12 PM
If youwant to get really trixsy you could play a warcraft ogre mage and take the racial feats that make all casting class features based on con. Found in warcraft book for monsters not the wow one