PDA

View Full Version : Delicious! [Spell] [PrC]

MagFlare
2007-09-27, 11:42 AM
The ebony doors flew open. Balthus the Bleak raised his head.
“Ah,” he said, a grim smile splitting his skeletal countenance. “So my apprentice returns. Are you ready for your next round of schooling? As I recall, you didn't fare so well last time.”
The former apprentice silently marched toward Balthus' black throne.
“Prepare yourself,” Balthus warned. “Last time I permitted you to live. I shall not show you the same courtesy this time.” But Balthus could see the woman's face now; gaunt and haggard, she looked as though she'd passed through the Hells. She certainly didn't look easily deterred.
The necromancer dropped his book and screamed the nonsensical syllables of an arcane spell; a twisting red ray crackled from his outstretched hand, striking the woman square in the chest. She didn't stumble. She didn't flinch. If anything, she looked healthier.
“Wretched fool!” Balthus roared. “I will destroy you where you st...”
And then with unanticipated speed she was upon him, lifting him up by his collar with a single hand.
“You cursed me,” she whispered hoarsely, her dark, red-rimmed eyes barely focusing on the wizard. “You cursed me and set me loose. But I came back.”
Balthus tried to recall the most powerful spell he'd prepared and discovered to his horror that it had vanished from his memory. He was distantly aware that his skin was beginning to blister where the woman was gripping him.
“I came back,” she repeated. “And I'm hungry as hell.”

Curse of Thaumivory
School: Necromancy
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You curse the subject, transforming him into a nearly mindless magical addict who immediately turns on his allies. If the target fails a Will save, he receives a +4 bonus to Str, Dex, and Con, the benefits of the Improved Unarmed Attack feat, a +6 morale bonus to all grapple checks, and a -6 penalty to Int. He then immediately attacks his nearest ally.

The victim of this curse usually tries to avoid killing his former friends, generally preferring to grapple them and snatch away any magical items in their possession. Once the victim is holding a magical item, he uses a standard action to drain it of its power, rendering it useless (if it's a potion, scroll, or similar) or dramatically less useful (if it's armor or a weapon). If the item remains in the original owner's possession when the victim tries to drain it, he's entitled to a Ref save to avoid the effects. Unless killed or otherwise stopped, the victim will drain every magical item within sight.

This curse cannot be dispelled, but can be removed with remove curse, break enchantment, limited wish, wish, or miracle.

Thaumivore
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Detect Magic, Devour Magic, Bleedoff

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Thaumic Radiation, Feeding Frenzy

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Devour Being, Thaumic Regeneration

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Absorb Spell

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Devour Item, Curse Mastery[/table]

The curse of thaumivory transforms its target into a rampaging, magic-draining monster. Most victims are either killed or subdued and cured; some spend the rest of their lives hunting down magical items to satisfy their addiction. A scant few have sufficient knowledge and willpower to transform the affliction into a sort of terrifying gift, turning their newfound magic-draining powers against the very spellcasters who cursed them.

Once the first level of Thaumivore has been gained, the victim of curse of thaumivory can no longer be cured by remove curse, break enchantment, limited wish, wish, or miracle.

Hit Die: d6
Requirements: Iron Will, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, must be afflicted by the spell curse of thaumivory
Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis)
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int mod
Proficiencies: A Thaumivore gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Detect Magic (Sp): At will, a Thaumivore may use detect magic, as the spell.

Devour Magic (Su): Anyone afflicted by the curse harbors a terrible addiction for magic which can only be satisfied by draining magical energies, transforming scrolls to blank bits of parchment and potions to cloudy, foul-tasting water. When holding a scroll or potion, the Thaumivore may choose, as a standard action, to drain the item of its magic and add a number of points equal to the item's spell levels to his reserve. A Thaumivore may never have more points in his reserve than five times his Thaumivore level; any points the Thaumivore gains beyond his limit are wasted.

The same applies for wands and staves, but the Thaumivore only drains one charge from the item.

If a Thaumivore tries to absorb a scroll or potion in the possession of an enemy, the enemy is entitled to a Ref save (DC 15 + the character's Thaumivore levels) to avoid the effect.

If he handles a scroll or potion and has not yet used Devour Magic that day, the Thaumivore must make a Will save equal to 15 + the item's spell levels or immediately use Devour Magic on it. Making this save ensures that this particular item will not tempt him again for the rest of the day.

Bleedoff (Sp): A Thaumivore may use points saved in his reserve to power destructive magical spells, which are cast as normal but require no preparation or material components. The spell list is as follows:
1 point: burning hands, color spray, shocking grasp
2 points: acid arrow, flaming sphere, scorching ray
3 points: stinking cloud, fireball, lightning bolt
4 points: ice storm, wall of fire, phantasmal killer
5 points: cloudkill, cone of cold, blight
6 points: acid fog, chain lightning, circle of death
7 points: delayed blast fireball, prismatic spray, finger of death
8 points: incendiary cloud, polar ray, sunburst
9 points: power word kill, meteor swarm, weird

Thaumic Radiation (Su): A Thaumivore with more than five points of magical energy in his reserve continually emits hazardous magical radiation. Any living creature within a five foot radius of the Thaumivore takes one point of magical damage per round.

Feeding Frenzy (Su): A hungry Thaumivore is a man to be feared. Once per day, the Thaumivore can fly into a frenzy, temporarily gaining a bonus to his Str, Dex, and Con scores equal to his number of Thaumivore levels (along with temporary hit points for the Con increase), the benefits of the Improved Unarmed Attack feat, and a +6 morale bonus to all grapple checks, but a penalty of -4 to Int. The Frenzy lasts for five rounds or until the Thaumivore manages to Devour Magic; the player cannot otherwise end the Frenzy prematurely. The Thaumivore cannot use spells (Bleedoff or otherwise) while in a Feeding Frenzy. After a Frenzy, the Thaumivore is fatigued for the rest of the encounter.

When in a Feeding Frenzy, a Thaumivore usually attacks the nearest enemy who has a Devour-able magical item and attempts to wrest the item from the enemy's grasp.

If he sees a magic item in the possession of an enemy and has not yet used Devour Magic that day, the Thaumivore must make a Will save equal to 15 + the item's spell levels or immediately enter a Feeding Frenzy.

Devour Being (Su): Thaumivores eventually learn to feed their addictions with magic that lies within other entities. The Thaumivore may make a melee touch attack; any spellcaster struck with this attack must make a Will save equal to 15 + his attacker's Thaumivore levels or lose one of his highest level prepared spells (or one use of his highest level spells, if he's a spontaneous caster), which is absorbed into the Thaumivore's reserve. If the Thaumivore grapples with a spellcaster, he may make an opposed grapple check; if he wins, he can absorb a spell from the caster without allowing a Will save.

Whenever a Thaumivore deals unarmed or grapple damage to a monster with the undead, construct, fey, outsider, or magical beast types, he does an additional 1d4 damage and absorbs a point of magical energy into his reserve as he drains the monster of its magical essence.

Thaumic Regeneration (Su): As a standard action, a Thaumivore may convert his reserve of magical energy into magical healing on a one-to-one basis. The Thaumivore may only heal his own wounds with this ability.

Absorb Spell (Su): Whenever a Thaumivore successfully makes a save against a spell, he may absorb its spell levels into his reserve. For example, if the Thaumivore makes a Ref save against a fireball, he takes half damage and adds three points to his reserve.

Devour Item (Su): As Devour Magic, but applies to magic weapons and armor as well. Each point of enhancement bonus the Thaumivore absorbs is worth five points in his reserve; for example, a Thaumivore who drains a +1 shocking burst longsword gains 15 reserve points.

If a Thaumivore tries to absorb weapons or armor in the possession of an enemy, the enemy is entitled to a Ref save (DC 15 + the character's Thaumivore levels) to avoid the effect.

Curse Mastery (Ex): Through supreme effort of will, the Thaumivore has managed to convert his curse into a blessing. He no longer enters a Feeding Frenzy unless he wants to, and if he does, he's no longer subject to the -4 Int penalty while Frenzied. He can freely handle potions and scrolls without having to make a Will save to determine whether he has to absorb them. Finally, he can turn his Thaumic Radiation ability on or off as a free action.

Arakune
2007-09-27, 12:25 PM
now that's something powerful.

JackMage666
2007-09-27, 01:21 PM
And rather broken.

See, you could theoretically have this cast upon you at 1st level. Then, just proceed through the class. By 6th level, you're no longer insane, but have Insane abilities! Proceed through whatever clas syou want (Rogue's good). Best of all, once you take a single class level, it's absolutely permanent!

Sorry, this has to be redone somehow... If you go about the way I said, having it cast on yourself, then you can cast 9th level spells by 6th level. It's too much, sorry.

EDIT - Sorry, didn't see the Pre-reqs... Still overpowered, though, as it can be done by 10th level anyway.

DracoDei
2007-09-27, 02:02 PM
Good general idea I think...
You need to specify how exactly the basic curse (not the class) weakens magic items slowly.
The "Aeon" in "Liber Bestarius" by Matthew Colville have an ability similar to this.
Also, you might want to say that they can't spend more points on Bleed-off per round than twice or class levels (or, better yet, half your character level). A sixth level character who can throw Meteor Swarm 2/day for the price of 18 first level scrolls won't fly even with the addictions... Maybe also make it so anyone under the curse (whether or not they have the class) uses one spell level a day for survival in addition to needing the same amount of food, drink, and sleep.

MagFlare
2007-09-29, 07:27 AM
Okay, survey says it's overpowered; I sort of guessed as much, given that I thought it'd be a nice 10-level PrC and cut it down because I didn't have enough ideas to fill ten levels:smallbiggrin:. Would it fix the class's brokenness if the Bleedoff spellcasting were cut off at level 5 or 6? These dudes really don't need to be tossing around Meteor Swarms at all.

And DD, thanks for the idea to better illustrate how powers are drained from items. I'm not sure where to begin, but I'll give it some thought - it's possible that the ability to suck magic out of enchanted items needs to go, period. Ain't nobody wants to end up with a +0 greatsword of mundaneness which they distinctly recall having spent 21,000gp on just two sessions ago...

The Neoclassic
2007-09-29, 03:04 PM
Awesome idea. For the broken-ness, I'd just make it so it either doesn't affect or kills (Fort save possible) character with less than a certain number of HD (perhaps 5?), so it can't be cast on anyone 'til at least level 5.

DracoDei
2007-09-29, 03:17 PM
Abilities surpressed for 1d4 DAYS (or something on that order of magitude... 1d4 weeks could even work), that might shut it down for the duration of an adventure, but they still get it back eventually. The Aeon have to have an object in their possession for a long time to drain it (although they instantly absorb spells cast at them), but the drain is perminant.... it is something like +1 worth of special ability or enhancement bonus per week for weapons and armor I think, and 1,000 gp worth per day with GM adjudicated scaling of the powers of the items as it is drained.