PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic Bloodline for Sorcerers

LibraryOgre
2019-03-06, 07:07 PM
Magic Bloodline
Some sorcerers can trace their powers to a singular ancestor or event. A draconic great-grandparent, a nursery in the Elemental Chaos, or mama was struck by lightning just before you were born. Others... don't. Their power comes from some connection to the Weave, a merging of several different magical bloodlines, or some other source of simple magic that links to the Prime Material plane through them, and them alone. Unique and idiosyncratic, the Magic Bloodline represents an individual whose magic is truly their own.

1st level
The fingers of magic spread throughout your life, and in odd ways. At 1st level, someone with the Magic Bloodline chooses two additional cantrips from any spell list, and one first level spell from any spell list. These are additional spells known for the sorcerer, and are considered sorcerer spells for this character.

6th Level
A Magic-blooded sorcerer can reach deep into magic, creating the effects that they need. They may cast a spell from any spell list, at a cost of that spell's level in sorcery points and the appropriate spell slot. The spell may be no higher than 5th level.

14th Level
Magic, sorcery, is in your blood. At 14th level, choose one Metamagic that you know. That metamagic now requires 1 less sorcery point to enact, minimum zero. You are still limited to one metamagic per spell casting, unless otherwise noted.

18th level
At 18th level, you are able to smother magic that might harm you with your own. When the sole target of a spell (not merely within the area of effect) you are aware of, you may use your reaction to spend sorcery points equal to the level of the spell to simply cancel the spell. You may only do so once per turn, and must announce that you are doing so before the result is known (i.e. before damage is announced).

Magic Bloodline
Some sorcerers can trace their powers to a singular ancestor or event. A draconic great-grandparent, a nursery in the Elemental Chaos, or mama was struck by lightning just before you were born. Others... don't. Their power comes from some connection to the Weave, a merging of several different magical bloodlines, or some other source of simple magic that links to the Prime Material plane through them, and them alone. Unique and idiosyncratic, the Magic Bloodline represents an individual whose magic is truly their own.

1st level
The fingers of magic spread throughout your life, and in odd ways. At 1st level, someone with the Magic Bloodline chooses two additional cantrips from any spell list, and one first level spell from any spell list. These are additional spells known for the sorcerer, and are considered sorcerer spells for this character.

6th Level
Magic, sorcery, is in your blood. At 6th level, you learn one additional metamagic. Additionally, you have additional sorcery points equal to your proficiency bonus.

14th Level
A Magic-blooded sorcerer can reach deep into magic, creating the effects that they need. They may cast a spell from any spell list, at a cost of that spell's level in sorcery points and the appropriate spell slot. The spell may be no higher than 5th level.

18th level
At 18th level, you are able to smother magic that might harm you with your own. When the sole target of a spell (not merely within the area of effect) you are aware of, you may use your reaction to spend sorcery points equal to the level of the spell to simply cancel the spell. You may only do so once per turn, and must announce that you are doing so before the result is known (i.e. before damage is announced).

JNAProductions
2019-03-06, 07:35 PM
1st is fine.

6th I would limit to 1/Rest.

14th... I haven't played enough Sorcerers to say for sure, but this feels like it's probably too good. Especially on cheaper metamagics that become FREE.

18th level looks cool.

LibraryOgre
2019-03-06, 07:59 PM
1st is fine.

6th I would limit to 1/Rest.

14th... I haven't played enough Sorcerers to say for sure, but this feels like it's probably too good. Especially on cheaper metamagics that become FREE.

18th level looks cool.

I can be argued out of this, but...

6th level: This is double-limited, as it costs both Sorcery Points and Spell Slots. Compare to Draconic, which is Charisma-bonus to damage with a given elemental damage type as a constant effect, plus the ability to gain resistance to damage for 1 hour at a cost of a single sorcery point. Wild magic lets you spend 2 sorcery points to affect any roll by 1d4 points. In this case, you spend both a spell slot and sorcery points to allow a single casting of a spell you don't know... perhaps if the sorcery point cost went like extra spell slots? (i.e. 1st is 2, 2nd is 3, 3rd is 5, 4th is 6, 5 is 7). It's a touch more expensive, limiting the ability.

14th: I'm ok with the power as I wrote it, because it's limited to a single metamagic you know, out of 3 (eventually 4). So, your spells might be freely Careful, Distant, Empowered, Extended, or Subtle, and some might be freely twinned (1st and Cantrips). But, again, consider the alternative. Draconic has free wings... unlimited, no concentration, flight (about half as fast as a 3rd level spell, but with no duration). Wild magic is a bit more fraught, but they get advantage on Wild Magic... while the table isn't universally beneficial, there's a lot of benefits like "Regain all your sorcery points" "regain your lowest expended spell slot" or "Three creatures you choose take 4d10 lightning damage."

JNAProductions
2019-03-10, 12:21 PM
I'm mostly worried about Subtle, off-hand. The ability to just freely negate any counterplay with your spells, at no cost but opportunity... Seems rather strong.

I've also thought a little on it more, and the MAIN issue I have is that, should you pick a 1 SP Metamagic, it becomes a no-brainer. Every single spell gets it, unless you need another metamagic more.

Good game design should have choices-this reduces that.

Potato_Priest
2019-03-10, 12:28 PM
My question is, what role do you want this to fill?

How does this subclass represent someone born from a powerful creature like a dragon better than already existing sorcerous bloodlines?

JNAProductions
2019-03-10, 12:30 PM

How does this subclass represent someone born from a powerful creature like a dragon better than already existing sorcerous bloodlines?

It was created to make a "generic" sorcerer.

The whole point is the fluff is very general.

LibraryOgre
2019-03-10, 01:47 PM
I'm mostly worried about Subtle, off-hand. The ability to just freely negate any counterplay with your spells, at no cost but opportunity... Seems rather strong.

Now THAT is a point I hadn't thought of. Subtle becomes really powerful, yeah. Ok, that ability needs to be rethought.

Sorcery does not always connote descent... it represents someone who has magic in their very being. It might be descent from a powerful creature, but it can also be exposure to powerful magical energies (the Wild Magic option notes that it might be exposure to a portal). This could be simply descent from a powerful wizard, or being born in a mythal, or some other powerful magical source.

EDIT: Ok, I made a new version. Moved the "cast any spell" back to 14th, changed 6th to "extra metamagic, extra sorcery points"

JNAProductions
2019-03-10, 01:58 PM
Looks good, Mark.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-14, 08:22 AM
Oh, i really like the additional sorc points at 6.

i am still bothered by the any spell list at will. but at level 14, i should get over it. (vs at-will free flight)
i am still bothered by the no-risk, cheaper, longer range, uncounterable (but limited scope) counterspell. I suppose the self only thing makes it okay at level 18.

I think i like it but i would like to see it in play.

LibraryOgre
2019-03-14, 09:05 AM
Oh, i really like the additional sorc points at 6.

i am still bothered by the any spell list at will. but at level 14, i should get over it. (vs at-will free flight)
i am still bothered by the no-risk, cheaper, longer range, uncounterable (but limited scope) counterspell. I suppose the self only thing makes it okay at level 18.

I think i like it but i would like to see it in play.

Consider that it means that they can single cast spells as they need, but at the cost of sorcery points. This particular bloodline EATS sorcery points. Want to cast a weird spell? Sorcery Points. Want to protect yourself from spells? Sorcery points. Until they get the level 20 (where they get sorcery points for short rests), they're going to be chowing through them. Even with 26 sorcery points (at level 20), they're going to run through them quickly, even without metamagics or extra slots.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-14, 03:05 PM
I like it.

2 things though:

First, the lvl 14th feature is kinda broken. I don't mean this because of raw power, broken combos, etc. But mostly because one of the limits of Sorcs are spells known. This feature basically says, you got every spell in the game of lvl 5th and below (and, by a strict reading, every cantrip too, I dunno if that was intended though). If you really, really, really wanna give this to the subclass, this should be the capstone.

Second, I think that "one spell from any list" is pretty cool and could be worked more into the subclass. For instance, make it so that when you replace that spell, you can do so with another one from any list, and so on. So basically you can always have 1 spell known from any list. Evolving magic is kinda the sorcerers thing.