PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Campaign Variant: Commoner Campaign

HeroSpirit
2019-03-07, 10:19 PM
So I came up with this variant of a normal DnD Campaign that I thought would be an interesting concept for at least a one-shot. In this variant of a normal DnD campaign, all players roll “Commoner” characters instead of adventurers. Your HP is 10 + your Constitution Modifier. Your ability scores all start out at 10. Each player chooses a race and background, and creates their character as normal with these exceptions:
---

You have no character levels. You also have no class levels. Therefore, you also have no proficiencies beyond what you obtain from your background (and possibly your race).
You have no proficiency bonus. Any skills or proficiencies you gain from your background or race have a standard (5 + ability score modifier).
Each player chooses 2 Ability Score Improvements. They can increase one ability score by 2 or two ability scores by 1 using either of these.
Each player chooses 2 feats. They must abide by the prerequisites for that feat.

Once the players have made their characters, they’re faced with a real-world scenario that quickly escalates into something an adventurer would typically handle. The DM throws a bunch of low-level mobs at the players (for a commoner, would be quite challenging) and use maybe a mid-level mob as a boss?

Let me know what you guys think.