PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of the Dragon

Yunru
2019-03-13, 04:46 AM
The Oath of the Dragon binds a paladin to the whims and machinations of a dragon. Sometimes called dragoons, dragon knights, or dragon riders, these paladins hold themselves to the same ideals as their chosen master. They hold dragons as their ideals, and incorporate images of draconic wings into their helmets or coats of arms.

Tenets of Devotion:
Though the exact words and structures of the Oath of the Dragon vary, paladins of this oath share these tenets.
Gather Treasure. When treasure presents itself you must try to obtain it. A portion of this treasure should go towards your dragon master.
My Word is Law. When your dragon master gives a decree, you must follow it.
You Are My Claws. You must pursue any who oppose your dragon sponsor, and protect those who's interests align.

Oath Spells:
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
3rd: Chromatic Orb, Mage Armour
5th: Enthral, Levitate
9th: Fly, Haste
13th: Dominate Beast, Polymorph
17th: Control Winds, Hallow

Channel Devotion:
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Draconic Fury. As a bonus action, you give vent to a primal roar that increases your aggression and augments your fighting spirit.
For 1 minute, you deal extra damage equal to your Charisma modifier on a hit. The extra damage is of the type associated with your dragon master.
Wrathful Shout. As an action, you present your holy symbol and give vent to a shout that unsettles the enemies of your dragon master. Each hostile creature within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Draconic Steed:
Starting at 7th level, you gain a Young Dragon companion, who's colour is the same as your dragon master. The dragon can move and take reactions freely, but can't use an action unless use your action to instruct it to. The Young Dragon can't use multiattack until you reach level 15.
While mounted upon it, the dragon's movement counts as your own for the purposes of feats, abilities and other effects.

Honorary Dragon:
Beginning at 15th level, you and your Draconic Steed have learnt how each other acts. You can communicate non-verbally and your Draconic Steed can take actions without you having to first spend an action of your own.

Soul of a Dragon:
At 20th level, you gain the soul of a dragon. As an action, you can magically manifest your dragon soul, gaining the following benefits for 1 minute:
• Wings sprout from your back and grant you a flying speed of 60 feet.
• Enemy creatures within 10 feet of you have disadvantage on saving throws against your paladin spells and Channel Divinity options.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Homebrew Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581718-Personal-Homebrew-Index)

Marcotix
2019-03-13, 01:18 PM
This is a very well thought out and thematic class option.

The only area of concern is the young dragon. At first this will be fine, but overtime I fear that it will simply be to squishy to keep up. I would recommend improving it to an adult at around level 13, and or allow it to share paladin self-cast spells.

Maybe allow it to use the paladins AC when he or she is mounted upon it?

EDIT:

A better, though more complicated way to do the dragon would be to, at levels 10 and 13 average the current dragon against its adult form for HP, ability scores attack bonuses etc. At level 15 it becomes an adult, and at level 18 you average it against to an ancient dragon.

You could even say that this accelerated growth is what the dragon gets out of the bargain, its feeding off of the paladin's devotion to accelerate its growth.

The only other things to add then is a clause that, as the dragon gets older it becomes more independent and instructions for reviving/ getting a new one.

I would really enjoy playing this paladin. An evil paladin/ dragon who constantly snipe at one another, the dragon isn't there to help as much as keep tabs on its masters pet paladin!

Vogie
2019-03-13, 04:07 PM
For Draconic Fury, why not use a Dragon's Breath-stye effect instead? Going from "DRAGON!" to "+ Charisma to damage" seems like a lost opportunity.

I'm also worried about the Dragon companion... it's either going to be awesomely overpowered (adding a CR 7 monster to the party is effectively another party member) or suck horribly. Where does the dragon go when you're crawling through tunnels underground? If it dies, do you get another, or are you just out of your 7th and 15th level features?

If you want it to be a steed, use the verbiage of Find Steed/greater steed and create an effect similar to what you want
If you want it to be a minor companion, use the verbiage of Find Familiar, and use that to create an effect similar to what you want.
If you want it to be both, use the Sentinel Raven ability from Raven Queen Warlock, where you get a Raven faux-miliar, but with the ability to merge with it to "ride along" with it.
If you want it to be a full companion that eventually becomes ride-able, use the Revised Beastmaster companion verbiage, and start the dragon as a Wyrmling (big enough to provide combat prowess & attacks without instantly dying, but too small to ride), and slowly scale it larger over the growth of the class.

Marcotix
2019-03-14, 12:27 AM
For Draconic Fury, why not use a Dragon's Breath-stye effect instead? Going from "DRAGON!" to "+ Charisma to damage" seems like a lost opportunity.

[/LIST]

Good point here. They are about the same mechanically, but one is, to borrow the parlance, DRAGON!

KittenMagician
2019-03-14, 07:40 PM
my main question is why is Mage armor one of your oath spells? most of the time you will wear heavy (medium at the least) armor. mage armor works off of dex and now, unless you are being a wierd dex paladin, you are splitting your stats between str cha con and dex. i think you might be able to find a better spell
like maybe identify. got a ton of treasure (like a dragon would) now you know exactly what you have
Dragons are known to be very charismatic so why not charm person
Dragons shapeshift into humanoids so why not disguise self
and if you still want a protection style spell, toss in shield and it manifests itself as a sudden layer of dragon scales

mage armor just doesnt fit with paladins

Vogie
2019-03-15, 08:12 AM
my main question is why is Mage armor one of your oath spells? most of the time you will wear heavy (medium at the least) armor. mage armor works off of dex and now, unless you are being a wierd dex paladin, you are splitting your stats between str cha con and dex. [...]

mage armor just doesnt fit with paladins

I have to disagree. Dex paladins are a thing, and have been for some time. With max Dex, mage armor and a shield, they'll have an AC of 20, and that is before things like Shield of Faith.

That opens them up to using ranged weapons as well, which some of their smite spells (but not the class feature) work with.

And, unsurprisingly, if your concept is "dude riding a Large living being that flies" and eventually becoming a living being that flies (for 1 minute), it's not a stretch that you probably don't want to weigh yourself down with 65 pounds of plate armor and lock yourself into using melee weapons.

Yunru
2019-03-15, 08:32 PM
Because dragons have scales, dragon sorcerers have scales, dragonborn have scales, so Dragon Paladins get a spell that does the same.
At least, I think that was my reasoning, I made this class like a year ago or more.