PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Two Faces [PEACH] (yes, this is a batman reference)

nickl_2000
2019-03-14, 11:13 AM
This came into my mind while working on the latest subclass contest (chance), but I didn't think it was quite fitting. However, it has been running around in my mind since I thought of it.

When I look at Harvey Dent/Two Face from the Batman series, he actually has the devotion of a Paladin. He has a set standard in how he runs his life and follows it even when it is to his detriment. So, I came up with a new Paladin Oath. The Oath of Two Faces. My goal here was to come up with a character subclass based on duality, creation and destruction, healing and blight.

Please let me know what you think about it.

Homebrewery Link - https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJWSuLmtv4

Tenets of Two Faces
Chaos - Chaos reigns in the world. There is no permanent order and nothing that cannot be changed by situational chances. The entire world is mutable
Chance - There is always chance in the world. How you react to any particular situation is up to a flip of the coin or a toss of the dice. If the universe has fated your reaction, you a obliged to follow through on it.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Creation - As an action, you present your holy symbol. When you do so, you may create a single object out of dust. That object can be any object in the adventuring gear table, but must have a worth less than 10 gp. Objects outside of the gear table can be created with DM approval.
Decay - As an action, you present your holy symbol, causing an overwhelming scent of death and decay emit from your symbol. All hostile creatures within a 100 foot radius must make a constitution save or become poisoned for 1 minute.

Oath of the Two Faces Spells
3rd - Bane, Bless
5th - Shatter, Silence
9th - Beacon of Hope, Fear
13th - Aura of Life, Blight
17th - Antilife Shell, Reincarnate

Oath of Duality
Starting at 7th level, any ally within 10 feet is affected by your aura of duality. After a short or a long rest, roll a d6.

If you roll an even number, you gain an aura of calming emotions. All allies within the aura gain advantage on saving throws against confusion, suggestion, charm, and other mind affecting spells
If you roll an odd number, you gain an aura of rage. All allies within the aura make stronger and more precise attacks, gaining +1 to attack rolls and all 1 and 2 rolled on damage dice automatically become a 3.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Flip of the Coin
Starting at level 15, when you roll initiative, flip a coin

If the coin lands head, you channel positive energy into you body. At the start of each of your turns, you gain charisma mod (minimum 1) temporary hit points.
If the coin lands tails, you channel negative destructive energy into the world. As a bonus action, you can cause a burst of necrotic energy to emanate from your holy symbol. When you do this, all creatures within a 15 foot radius of you must make a constitution save or take 4d8 necrotic damage (half on successful save).

Controlled Duality
At level 20, you learn to control and enhance your dual nature. As an action, you may activate both your auras at once and enhance them for the next minute. While the enhanced aura is active, all allies are immune to confusion, suggestion, charm, and other mind affecting spells. Additionally, they gain a +2 to attack and 1, 2, and 3s on damage dice automatically become a 4.
Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you have completed a long rest.

MAJOR CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION

Changed the aura to be calming/raging duality instead of healing/damage. I felt that this was a simpler more balanced approach
Changed the 15th level flip of the coin ability to apply to all combat instead of once per rest and turned it into the destruction/healing ability. Healing it temp HP per round, destruction is a bonus action to cause damage. I am a little concerned about the damage on the option. I don't know about the amount. 4d8 burst as a bonus action seems high to me, which is why I added a save for half. Also, I made it effect everyone instead of just enemies to make it a little weaker. I'm open to adjustments on this.
Changed the final ability to give a better boost to allies. Immunity instead of advantage on saves and a +2 to attack and 1-3 on rolls become a 4. I did leave it as a action to activate since it's pretty powerful.

Tenets of Two Faces
Chaos - Chaos reigns in the world. There is no permanent order and nothing that cannot be changed by situational chances. The entire world is mutable
Chance - There is always chance in the world. How you react to any particular situation is up to a flip of the coin or a toss of the dice. If the universe has fated your reaction, you a obliged to follow through on it.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Creation - As an action, you present your holy symbol. When you do so, you may create a single object out of dust. That object can be any object in the adventuring gear table, but must have a worth less than 10 gp. Objects outside of the gear table can be created with DM approval.
Destruction - As an action, you present your holy symbol. When you do, choose a single non-living, non-magical object, that is not being held by a creature, and fits within a 5x5 square. That object is reduced to ash and disappears.

Oath of the Two Faces Spells
3rd - Bane, Bless
5th - Shatter, Silence
9th - Beacon of Hope, Fear
13th - Aura of Life, Blight
17th - Antilife Shell, Reincarnate

Oath of Duality
Starting at 7th level, any ally within 10 feet is affected by your aura of duality. After a short or a long rest, roll a d6. On an odd result your aura is grants all allies inside it 1 temporary hit point at the beginning of their turn . On an even result your aura deals your charisma modifier (min 1) in necrotic damage to all hostile creatures at the beginning of their turn.

Flip of the Coin
Starting at level 15, as an action you may flip a coin.
When it lands head you rage, giving you resistance to all damage from non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing weapons. Additionally, anytime you roll a 1 or a 2 on a damage roll, it is automatically increased to a 3. If the coin lands tails your mind and emotions are calmed making you immune to all confusion, suggestion, charm, and other mind affecting spells. Both these effects last for one minute or until it is dismissed as a bonus action.
Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you have completed a long rest.

Controlled Duality
At level 20, you learn to control and enhance your dual nature. As an action, you may activate both your auras at once and enhance them for the next minute. During this time your aura grants your charisma modifier in temporary HP per round to allies and deals your 3x your charisma modifier in damage to all hostiles creatures.

Vogie
2019-03-14, 01:52 PM
Channel Divinity
Destruction - As an action, you present your holy symbol. When you do, choose a single non-living, non-magical object, that is not being held by a creature, and fits within a 5x5 square. That object is reduced to ash and disappears.
This seems incredibly powerful. The first part seems fine, almost underpowered - it's effectively a underpowered Minor Conjuration, as the wizard subclass feature. The latter, though, seems like a DM's nightmare. If someone disarms a target, you can destroy any weapons dropped. Maybe switch this with a longer buff to the paladin's weapon that doubles damage to structures, a la the Siege Monster ability.

Oath of Duality
Starting at 7th level, any ally within 10 feet is affected by your aura of duality. After a short or a long rest, roll a d6. On an odd result your aura is grants all allies inside it 1 temporary hit point at the beginning of their turn . On an even result your aura deals your charisma modifier (min 1) in necrotic damage to all hostile creatures at the beginning of their turn.

This is incredibly weak. I could see it giving THP equal to charisma modifier each turn, so it kind of balances out. It'd also act like the Desert/Tundra Storm Herald Aura in that sense... but that is also weak.

Flip of the Coin
Starting at level 15, as an action you may flip a coin.

If it lands heads you rage, giving you resistance to all damage from non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing weapons. Additionally, anytime you roll a 1 or a 2 on a damage roll, it is automatically increased to a 3.
If the coin lands tails, your mind and emotions are calmed making you immune to all confusion, suggestion, charm, and other mind affecting spells. Both these effects last for one minute or until it is dismissed as a bonus action.

You should probably also use bonus action to activate. The Rider should be whenever you successfully use the feature. Both are neat. Probably called "tunnel vision" or "Focus Mind". I think you should be able to do it on a S/L rest. Maybe steal the book from the clerics, and make this an alternate Channel Divinity Option?

Controlled Duality
At level 20, you learn to control and enhance your dual nature. As an action, you may activate both your auras at once and enhance them for the next minute. During this time your aura grants your charisma modifier in temporary HP per round to allies and deals your 3x your charisma modifier in damage to all hostiles creatures.

Lets give an added bonus to yourself and your allies with this one. Maybe remove disadvantage from all allies, and remove advantage from all hostile creatures?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-14, 02:16 PM
One particular issue I see is that every Paladin subclass has at least one Channel Divinity that's versatile and straightforward for combat use. Both of yours are a bit awkward to use and both oriented towards non-combat. As Vogie said, one is good with Disarming, when Disarming is a variant rule and is played differently for each DM, and is overpowered if it's ever an option.

So either it's incredibly powerful but hard to use, or it's unusable in combat, in which case you have a level 3 Paladin with no combat features, which turns off a lot of people from ever starting the subclass. Your early game playstyle is a big reason why someone would play the subclass (See: Necromancer Wizard). In contrast, yours has non-combat abilities at level 3, and then combat abilities throughout the remainder of the subclass, which is a bit awkward.

nickl_2000
2019-03-14, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the comments, I will look to re-create the destruction version of the Channel Divinity tomorrow when I have a little more free time and have thought it over more. I may make it much simpler and have it last a minute and do a certain amount of necrotic damage on hit or have it be a bursty necrotic damage. That gives a solid combat ability in the level 3 channel divinity. Although I am open to other combat destructive options.

The Aura may need to be re-thought completely. The duality of healing and damaging make sense for the theming I am going for, but it sounds like it just won't work perfectly.

You should probably also use bonus action to activate. The Rider should be whenever you successfully use the feature. Both are neat. Probably called "tunnel vision" or "Focus Mind". I think you should be able to do it on a S/L rest. Maybe steal the book from the clerics, and make this an alternate Channel Divinity Option?

I don't like the idea of it being a alternate Channel Divinity option for Paladins, simply because they only ever get 1 per short rest (as opposed to Clerics who can get 3 per short rest). I'm not saying you are wrong, but why do you feel this should be short rest based? Also, what rider are you talking about? When use you the feature one of the two things happen, you don't know which one it will be though.

Vogie
2019-03-14, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the comments, I will look to re-create the destruction version of the Channel Divinity tomorrow when I have a little more free time and have thought it over more. I may make it much simpler and have it last a minute and do a certain amount of necrotic damage on hit or have it be a bursty necrotic damage. That gives a solid combat ability in the level 3 channel divinity. Although I am open to other combat destructive options.

The Aura may need to be re-thought completely. The duality of healing and damaging make sense for the theming I am going for, but it sounds like it just won't work perfectly.

I don't like the idea of it being a alternate Channel Divinity option for Paladins, simply because they only ever get 1 per short rest (as opposed to Clerics who can get 3 per short rest). I'm not saying you are wrong, but why do you feel this should be short rest based? Also, what rider are you talking about? When use you the feature one of the two things happen, you don't know which one it will be though.

I reviewed the Storm Herald, and it requires a Bonus action to get the damage/THP, while your aura does not. So it is technically better if the "healing" side is stronger.

I just don't think the 15th level ability should have that - it's not normally a 1/R ability in all of the published subclasses, save Ancients which literally stops you from dying 1/R.... and it had a ribbon component as well.

That's true on the Channel divinity thing - I thought it switched to 2 at some point, but you're right, it's just 1 per rest. A barbarians' number of rages scales upwards with proficiency bonus, so it just feels off that when you emulate it, even at 50% reliability, it seems odd to only have once per long rest. Heck, if you wanted to make the 15th level feature a new pair of Channel Divinities instead of the coin flip, that would actually be interesting as well: Do you want mini-Rage, or do you want Super-Purity of Spirit?

I like the Poison Aura Channel Divinity options, that seems very cool. Not overpowered, as it's one of the more-immuned conditions, but still powerful.

nickl_2000
2019-03-15, 07:16 AM
Adjusted after I let my mind sleep on it overnight, I feel it is a little more fitting with the standard paladin style now.

MAJOR CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION

Changed the aura to be calming/raging duality instead of healing/damage. I felt that this was a simpler more balanced approach
Changed the 15th level flip of the coin ability to apply to all combat instead of once per rest and turned it into the destruction/healing ability. Healing it temp HP per round, destruction is a bonus action to cause damage. I am a little concerned about the damage on the option. I don't know about the amount. 4d8 burst as a bonus action seems high to me, which is why I added a save for half. Also, I made it effect everyone instead of just enemies to make it a little weaker. I'm open to adjustments on this.
Changed the final ability to give a better boost to allies. Immunity instead of advantage on saves and a +2 to attack and 1-3 on rolls become a 4. I did leave it as a action to activate since it's pretty powerful.